• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gsidave

Leaking 8V Block

gsidave

Evening all, today I finally got round to removing my gearbox and flywheel.

Upon removing it I soon found my oil leak wasnt hockey sticks or rear main. But it seems to be coming from the block it's self. Just to the right the lower recess not sure if the block could be leaking its self ? Or cracked.

pugpete1108

im sure you can have a cracked block repaired. but it will mean pulling it all out unless you can get someone to come to you?

i have heard stories of people using liquid metal to fix cracks?

gsidave

Problem is you can't get to it it's to the right of the rear main oil seal just above the sump. In the recess area. Might be a new engine job.

welshpug

don't quite get where you mean, but do take a picture and it'll help massively.

gsidave

I'll try and get some pics up later on.

Where the block is flanged to bolt the gear box on the right. There is an area that goes in just above the sump. It's leaking there.

DamirGTI

.. it's a core plug ... oil return gallery core plug .

I just did this on my engine a week ago , note to mention , the core plug is NPF at Peugeot .. so , you'll need to find a different solution either ask someone who rebuilds engines or get it made at the machinist (it's a 36 dia. plug , and the ends needs to be machined slightly outwards at an angle so that the center inner 36 dia. ends on the outward edge at say 37.5 dia ..) ..

For removing it out of the block just use a chisel and knock it on the edge , upon fitting an new one clean the block plug surface with fine sanding paper or better , scotchbrite pad , apply just a little bit of sealant and press in the new one but do be careful to press/hammer it in center as if you angle press it it'll leak (ask a man at the machine shop , as he makes the core plug that he make you an piece of steel tool pilot to press it in , failing that can be pressed in with a socket on the short extension ..)

2j0xp5j.jpg

EDIT : you have two core plugs on this side , they're both sealing oil galleries .. the big one leaking on this picture is a 36 dia. , and the smaller one next to it down is 26 dia. ... again they're both NPF .

Edited by DamirGTI

gsidave

Damir it's defo not the core plug, thanks for the advice but it's coming from the lower right alcove next to the gearbox mount bolt.

I got a torch in today wiped the oil away and sure enough it streams out.

It's like there's a hole in the block. But it's in between the two sump bolts.

Edited by gsidave

welshpug

sounds like the sump needs sealing back up, or the spacer if it has one

gsidave

its above the sump area though wp and its a 1.6.

hopefully this picture should work

th_100_0791.jpg

pugpete1108

pita to weld in there and if its streaming i should imagine liguid metal wont help either.

probably be better off picking up another block, you are half way there with removing the engine anyway?

gsidave

Yeah I was kind of hoping that it was a rear main when I pulled the box off. But looking at it now there's no chance of it being aly welded in there. So probably be on the lookout for. Replacement engine.

Sign in to follow this