• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

kyepan

Experiment In Soundproofing The 205

Baz

Baz- I think you're right it does sound and feel less quick now.. so beware if you want the visceral experience .. perhaps something else noisy can put that back into the mix at a later date...

Bring on the trumpets... Induction hammer FTW! ;)

Strictly_Derv

My mate has a stripped out 106 XSI and that is much quieter than mine which only has the rear seats, a couple of side plastics and parcel shelf removed.

I noticed the 106 has padding behind the rear cards and sound deadening on the rear arches, not much but makes alot of difference compared to mine.

I'd imagine the stuff you've used has made a huge difference. It's definatly on the cards for mine now

SurGie

Received my box of Dynamat Super-lite yesterday, 48 square feet is a lot! :lol:

The whole pack weighs about 6kg, equivalent to about 7l of fuel or a handful of tools. Not exactly heavy and when evenly distributed around the car like it will be, I can't see it making an ounce of difference to the handling.

I started fitting it yesterday in a similar way to how you've done yours: complete coverage on the inside of the rear quarters, rear wheel arch liners and the boot floor, semi-complete coverage under the rear seats, and some squares here and there to deaden things like the B-pillar supports.

I'll go on to add some parts to the upper rear quarters, rear speaker surrounds and the boot side of the inner rear wheel arches. Then on to the full front floor, wheel arches and firewall, and some bits on / in the front doors.

It's already made a fair bit of difference, when I fix my knackered exhaust and front wheel bearing it should be even better. :lol:

A good read and write up.

Where did you buy that from, iv searched for it but i only got the USA sites ?

I thought of using http://www.secondskin.co.za/ maybe inside the rear quarter and door panels etc. Has anyone use this stuff before ?

Im hesitant in using it in-case water gets behind it and rust starts to form etc.

cybernck

Yes, cRaig used it on his car prior to his crash and rebuild.

Do a search for his topics and you'll find it :).

• Like 1

Cameron

Got my Dynamat off eGay.. £135 delivered for a 12 sheet (48sqft) pack! :D

• Like 1

kyepan

Got my Dynamat off eGay.. £135 delivered for a 12 sheet (48sqft) pack! :D

despite being a bargain for Dynamat, It's still double the price and weight of the home brew solution posted here.

Darrens205GTI

Great post, I had spent a long time thinking about what to do with mine once I get it back on the road as the road noise does get a bit much for the non petrolheads of the family.

Out of interest did you take another Db reading after?

Anthony

<a few posts worth of bickering removed>

This is a good thread, so lets not spoil it with yet another round of needless argumentative posts people... <_<

kyepan

Great post, I had spent a long time thinking about what to do with mine once I get it back on the road as the road noise does get a bit much for the non petrolheads of the family.

Out of interest did you take another Db reading after?

Yes and it basically came out the same, which either means it's made no difference or the app on the iPhone is not very good. Subjectively it's a lot quieter, and resonance has been greatly reduced.

Took paul13 for a spin last night to have a listen, perhaps he may post up.

Cheers

J

cRaig

Yeah, I used the sound spectrum sludge. Seems to be good stuff, but the difference from the foil on its own to adding the sludge is more marginal than the foil on its own. Quite messy to apply, but I think it remains slightly porus, so there shouldnt be any problem with rust, mine has got wet previously and then dried out fine.

(im sure there should be some pictures midway through my project thread from the link in my signature)

Craig

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 1

Baz

the app on the iPhone is not very good.

;)

davey sprocket

Hmmm... different experience of iphone noise meter app here.... our h&s guy at work has expensive fancy noise metering equipment for use in our factory and the Iphone app comes out so near identical that he doesn't bother using the proper kit very often any more.

Is it more likely, as suggested earlier in the thread, that although the actual volume isn't reduced a great deal, the frequency of that noise is reduced and is therefore more acceptable?

madspikes

The iphone mic would have been designed for voice, and I would suspect that a fair amount of work went into isolating the voice from any background noise (by isolating the voice frequency band and other tircks), so any analysis done using the iphone app would be very frequency dependent, and not give the true picture.

I have used the iphone signal generator app for quick testing things at work, but you can really tell the frequency band of the speaker - but its a very useful little tool to see if something is working, but not good enough for getting any numbers out of.

This topic is all very interesting as I've been thinking about making my pug quieter. What difference does having a bonnet with backing make? Would an engine undertray making any difference?

MiniGibbo

To continue on from my original post of "ive jsut removed mine" i moved the car around the yard on the weekend and even at less than 10mph its noticably more noisy ^_^

kyepan

also i was thinking about this, a ten db decrease will actually be ten fold reduction.. so if it was averaging 89 before, and is now averaging 85.. that's actually quite significant.

Cameron

As I understand it a 3dB difference halves the sound power level.

Sound Pressure Level (dB's) is incredibly misleading unless you understand logarithms; a 3dB reduction seems like sweet FA on paper but it's a noticeable difference.

kyepan

As I understand it a 3dB difference halves the sound power level.

Sound Pressure Level (dB's) is incredibly misleading unless you understand logarithms; a 3dB reduction seems like sweet FA on paper but it's a noticeable difference.

yep http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel .. so perhaps another test this evening is in order.