• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Turbo7379

Need Advice On Engine/gearbox Specs

Turbo7379

Hi guys, been away from the board for ages but its good to be back. Cars have been taking a back seat for a while due to illness & lack of funds. But I'm now itching to get back to greasy hands, black fingernails & long nights ie the world of owning/tuning pugs. :D

I spotted this ad - http://cars.donedeal...llycars/2881388

I'm looking for a log booked shell & this looked quite a good deal. Rang the guy tonight & got more info.

The car is totally standard apart from bilstein suspension, an unknown uprated cam, a bolt in sd cage & the necessary safety kit for log booking. Rear axle just been overhauled, head has been skimmed & uprated gasket fitted. :)

The car alone is probably worth the asking price but the other spares are included. He had bought a smashed higher spec 205 rally car, planning to fit the stuff into the good car but he saw the dark side & bought a Honda Civic Type R :blink: . He says its quicker & a lot more reliable so he's clearing out all Pug stuff.

The guy didn't have a lot of detail on the specs of the spares as he got them second hand. :mellow:

The spare engine is supposed to be 180bhp but its running on std injection so I find that hard to believe. Is 180bhp possible on std injection?

The only info on the box is that its running a quaife diff of some sort. Could it be a quaife box?

The pug sport shafts were bought from a pug dealer at a cost of £200 each :o to cure a recurring problem of broken drives.

There are 16 gti rims, a mixture of 14" & 15" & loads of other spares like bonnets, doors, bumpers, etc.

As its local to me I'm going to have a look tomorrow. What should I look out for on the engine & box to identify their pedigree? Does this look like a good deal?

Cheers, Turbo ;)

welshpug

is it an 8 valver? no bloody chance of being 180 bhp on the standard inlet.

welshpug

not for a rallycar with a logbook, about right for an 8 valver.

does look, erm, "well used" :lol:

matt.f

Can't click on pics on phone for some reason,if it's a C44 cage that's worth £350-£450,probably a be1/3 with a quaife atb that should sell for £400-500 and go towards a Tran-x plated lsd.

Be cheaper buying one done,there's a challenge spec 205 on eBay for £4k ready to go

Turbo7379

Couldn't get hold of the guy today to arrange to go see the car. :rolleyes: He called me tonight & we arranged to meet tomorrow. :)

Guess I should fill in a bit of info where I am with my cars. I started off a few years ago building a track 205 from a 1.9 gti. It gradually developed into a semi rally car which I have used to compete in a rally sprint series.

The current spec of the car is as follows-

Brakes- standard discs & calipers with Ferodo DS2500 pads

Suspension- Challenge spec bilsteins all round with unknown lowered springs & recon std rear beam

Engine- fully rebuilt 1.9 MI16 completely standard

Gearbox- MI16 with Kaaz lsd

Cage- copy of Safety Devices Challenge Spec bolt in cage

The rally sprint series isn't run to MSA rules so you don't need a log booked car to compete. I want to compete in some local MSA events so I need a log booked car to compete. The shell of my current car is too tatty & not worth log booking. :(

The cage might not pass MSA scrutineering as I think it was made from seamless gas pipe & not CDS. It was made by a professional welder for his brothers night nav car & is very well made. He copied a Safety Devices Challenge Spec cage he was installing in a car for somebody. I assembled the cage before installing it & I could barely lift it as it was so heavy, so not good for power to weight ratio. :o

My plan is to get a good log booked shell & build the engine, box & suspension from the track car into it. I still have the original 1.9 stuff to go back into the shell & I'll sell that on as a track car.

I know log booked 205 shells come up for sale in England but I'm in Northern Ireland they are not as easy to find & usually go for £3000+. :o

Sign in to follow this