• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Shu

Standard Steam/rough Running, Likely Head Gasket Problem With A Twist.

Jonny Shu

Hi,

As title suggests, seem to be suffering symptoms you would expect when the head gasket has gone. Started off being just a bit of steam and rough running from startup for 30 seconds or so but today it went the whole hog and now steam is pouring out whenever the car is idling/low revs.

Coolant level is very low also so whipped the plugs out, 2nd one was wet and I thought oily so cleaned it up and topped up coolant. Started quicker than usual on first start but still lots of steam and rough running.

Pulled 2nd plug out again to check it was sparking, which it was, but was wet again and steam pouring out of cylinder. Also checked coolant and steam coming out of the bottle too.

So, long way round it, but looked like the cylinder head gasket had gone (queue crying like a girl), but ran a compression test on each cylinder and all within 10 psi of each other....?!

Hopefully will take it down the local garage for them to run a couple of quick tests but anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonny

Anthony

Compression tests seem to be an unreliable indication for head gasket failure in my experience - I've had several HG failures in cars over the years, and by and large the compression test results have been fine.

Garage should be able to do a dip test in the header tank to confirm, but certainly your symptoms suggest a HG related issue on #2.

Cooling system pressurising excessively too per chance? Top rad hose will get hard pretty quickly, and usually more hissing/pressure than usual removing the cap even when it's not fully upto temperature.

205kenny

Agreed, compression test often does'nt show up head gasket failure. Head gasket was completely knackered on my car, though compression seemed fine across all cylinders.

You can often see bubbles in the header tank, when head gasket has failed.

allye

Garage should be able to do a dip test in the header tank to confirm, but certainly your symptoms suggest a HG related issue on #2.

I guess a dip test is a hydrocarbon test through the header? But yer go to your local garage and get one of these done and you'll know for sure.

Carbs4me

i had the same problem with mine when the head gasket went on my old 1.9

it use to drop its water tho, and when you next started it, you couldnt even see the back of the car from all the steam.

Jonny Shu

Quick update!

Ended up, completely by chance, coming across 'Steel Seal' which guaranteed to sort broken head gaskets/cracked heads OR your money back. Thought I would give it a try as the 205 is my daily driver and if it worked it'd be back on the road quicker than taking the head apart and doing the job properly.

So...flushed the cooling system through (tons of rust!!) and after following the instructions...rough running cured, no steam from the exhaust AND the idling has come down!!

Fingers crossed this will be at least a semi-permanent fix but for now I'm very impressed with it, car is running better than it ever has :)

tunnicliffe

surely this can not work. i have seen all the paper work to go with this steel seal as my suppliers keep trying to sell me this. just a gimmick? hopefully it will last on your car but i cant see it myself.please keep posted

Jonny Shu

I thought it sounded pretty dubious too, but for £35 a bottle and a guarantee that they will give you your money back if it doesn't, it was worth a shot as even if it didn't, the most I'd lose was £8 on a bottle of coolant and some time!

Will do!

Sign in to follow this