• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Strictly_Derv

1.8 Dt Fmic Guide

Strictly_Derv

Hi i've decided to put up a guide of how I think would be the easiest/ cheapest option of fitting a FMIC.

I've done it on my old XUD7 TE lump (1.8DT).

It took me about 30mins to fit the parts, but it will take longer on the car.

Be warned, this method ditches the PASunless you want an electric pump from a 106. My daily driver in non-PAS and it's fine even with 185 tyres

So the bits you will need are

• 1.9 DT mani
  • 1.9 DT vacuum pump
  • 1.9 DT cam
  • intercooler and pipes

1. Put a jack under the sump with a block of wood and padding and gently lift the engine up so it's not held up by the left upper moun
  2. remove any bits in the way
  3. so start off by locking up the engine 100_1785.jpg
  4. then remove the bracket going over the c/belt to the mount
  5. pull the engine forward to allow more access to the back to get the mani out
  6. now start removing the mani 8x allen bolts and 1x 13mm bolt 100_1776.jpg100_1780.jpg
  7. use a hinged ratchet to access the bolt, this will be a PITA to get to on the car 100_1781.jpg
  8. with the engine locked up, now remove the belt 100_1786.jpg100_1785.jpg
  9. right now undo the vac/pas pulley and loosen the cambelt cam pulley bolt

Edited by Strictly_Derv
  • Like 1

Strictly_Derv

• remove the rocker cover and undo the 6x 12mm bolts. I started from the middle outwards.
  • now remove the cam pulley and lift out the cam. Here's the 2 together, 1.9 on the left, much flatter lobes on the inlet ones.100_1787.jpg
  • now remove the allen key bolt in the head which is normally hidden behind the vac pulley, be careful though as this one rounded. This allows oil to the new vac pump 100_1793.jpg
  • now fit the 1.9 cam shaft, rocker and re-do the belt (best to change it really)
  • put on the 1.9 inlet 100_1795.jpg
  • now fit the 1.9 vac on the end of the cam, ensure the slots line up 100_1798.jpg100_1800.jpg
  • check everythings back on properly, plump up the cooler and get heat soak free boostin' :)

100_1802.jpg

100_1804.jpg

Please note it doesn't need to be in that order, it's just the way I did it.

If there's anything I missed please let me know and I will edit! Hope this helps thought

Max.

Edited by Strictly_Derv
  • Like 1

m_attt

nice one thanks, do you have any pictures of the rest of the install :)

Paul_13

Interesting :)

Have you done any pump mods yet?

Ryan_stdt had a diesel pump in parts on his table and he was showing me how it worked.

He used the pump head off a landrover (11mm instead of 9mm)

What did you do with the EGR hole?

Edited by Paul_13

Strictly_Derv

Don't think so, i'll get some up though. I'm running a 1.9 in mine but it's basially the same.

Strictly_Derv

Interesting :)

Have you done any pump mods yet?

Ryan_stdt had a diesel pump in parts on his table and he was showing me how it worked.

He used the pump head off a landrover (11mm instead of 9mm)

What did you do with the EGR hole?

No not yet, I have a modded gov to fit though. Didn't know a landy had the 11mm, thought it was just transit.

They don't have EGR's on the 1.8 or my particular 1.9.

Still keeps up with a 225 bhp Audi TT even when I had the pipe come off the boost compensator lol

Edited by Strictly_Derv

Paul_13

Only a certain landy pump, we had a look around the scrappy. It's basically the same as the Peugeot Bosch pump. There's load of information on pug306.net.

There's different cam plates on different pumps.

What intercooler hoses did you use? Generic or off a certain car?

Strictly_Derv

Just the ones from my old 306 DT, Samco hoses and stainless pipes ;) oh and one volvo hose.

Still got these s*itty bucket seats clogging up the spare room... :rolleyes:

dirtdog

You're going to regret posting this up...lol. Here come some questions!

Does the diffrent cam make any/much diffrence? And am I right in saying the camseal is the same..'7 or '9, it's just the internals which are diffrent dimensions?

What are the pics of..the 9 engine or the 7?

I've never actually see around the back of the block(having never had it out)...it looks likes it's going to be a fun job with the engine in the car..and I really don't know if I can be bothered taking it out. It took you 30 minutes? I guess it'll take almost a full day without it removed due to the awkwardness.

Any pictures of the piping? How are you running a hose off that inlet for the FM..are you using the conversion thing by the guy on the 306oc site?

Is your IC above or below the rad?

What size are the pipes and where have you routed them etc?

I've got a 206 hdi cooler but don''t have the dimensions to hand at the moment....it's a bit awkward but I wanted something a bit diffrent and more oem than the cossies one. Hoping to go above the rad (it won't cover the whole grille area but that doesn't bother me) They run 110bhp I think and i'm only looking for a little tune up so it should be nicely suited.

Hopefully the pipes will be SHORT..I have seen some set ups and the length of the pipes and the size of the IC fitted by some people is ridiculous...the mere thought of the lag makes me cringe.

Thanks for the upload strictly derv!

Strictly_Derv

I don't know about the cam TBH all I had done waws make a guide to show roughly how it's done, I just happened to notice the lobe size was larger.

I'm using an inlet adaptor, xsantia mani's are easier TBH.

I run a Forge intercooler above the rad, minimal 2" thick pipe which doesn't have much lag atal compared to my old 306 which had a smaller tuurbo but much loger IC route.

Josh_Quant

I don't know about the cam TBH all I had done waws make a guide to show roughly how it's done, I just happened to notice the lobe size was larger.

I'm using an inlet adaptor, xsantia mani's are easier TBH.

I run a Forge intercooler above the rad, minimal 2" thick pipe which doesn't have much lag atal compared to my old 306 which had a smaller tuurbo but much loger IC route.

When you say inlet adaptor, is this what bolts to where the intercooler normally bolt to?

dirtdog

When you say inlet adaptor, is this what bolts to where the intercooler normally bolt to?

Yes

Josh_Quant

can you buy these or do you have to get them made up? ;)

Strictly_Derv

You can get one made up but TBH a xsantia/406 inlet would be much easier.

BenC

can you buy these or do you have to get them made up? ;)

A guy on the club 306 forum called jase16gti fabricates them for the xud9, around £35 last time I looked. I believe they would fit.

http://www.club-306.com/topic/9013-fmic-adapters/page__hl__%20intercooler%20%20adaptor__st__180

(I'm no friend/relation of his - not making any money out of this little 'plug' but thought it might be useful to others!)

Josh_Quant

Cheers for the reply im only asking because thinking of swapping the 1.8d with the 1.9 td once i finishing paint the mi16 and back on the road.

Yeah i know bit of a down grade :lol:

£35 seems a bit steep though lol

dirtdog

it is considering you can get xantia/406 manis for about the same price...

Uberderv

Apparently the 1.9dt camshaft has a different profile. You could use the shaft from a 90bhp DW10 engine which would be the same as the XUD7t.

madaxgt

Interesting and good work. I need to rebuild my 1.8dt as it overheated and it now pressurises the coolant! Do the 1.9 heads bolt on the XUD7 block? As i could just buy a 406/xantia head complete with inlet and maybe exh/turbo???

I put the reliable 205 dt into retirement to replace it with a 206 1.6 hdi gti what a mistake that was....new turbo etc etc, now it just blew its dual mass flywheel!!! Troublesome little dv6 engines. Great if and I mean IF they work.

Sign in to follow this