• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
u47sb2

Wish Me Luck!

u47sb2

After this happened at Knockhill I'm finally going to try and take the head off tomorrow and see what the damage is. Never done this before so in the words of Top Gear: "how hard can it be?"!!

385815_1748709255250_1764411041_870227_2008447068_n.jpg

Hopefully this time tomorrow I'll at least know if I need a new head or complete engine.

Anthony

8v is easy and straight forward enough so a good place to learn :)

Before removing the head, time the bottom end up so that the timing pin lines up - makes things easy when refitting then, as assuming the bottom end is serviceable, it is in the right position as you don't want to be turning it with no head in place unless you clamp the liners.

Oh, and don't make the mistake that many do - put all *11* headbolt spacers somewhere safe and note that the extra thick one goes on the headbolt under the master cylinder.

Rippthrough

After casting an expert eye over that, I can tell you with confidence that something in that photo is broken.

• Like 5

welshpug

VERY broken!

Miles

Last time I saw something like that the cam had snapped, thanks to Piper's quality control

jeremy

All these opinions, have you not heard of the magical product called gaffa tape takes seconds to fix and last almost as long!!!!

Seriously other than having to adjust the tensioner it is not too difficult a job. Just take your time and label things up if you do not know where they go.

u47sb2

Rain is on so haven't got very far so far. Just got bits and pieces out of the way like sumpguard off fluids drained,flywheel cover off, lower belt cover off. To those observant members out there it didn't take me long to work out something had gone wrong - the noise of a pop and some oil smoke was a clue :lol:

u47sb2

Didn't get very far today - can't loosen the crank pulley bolt!

lfallgti

It's only the cam cover. :ph34r: :ph34r:

u47sb2

Making slow progress - pulleys now removed. Having to stop work for now as I'm off to work. Part way through removing manifolds etc