• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scott-205gti

Swapping 1.6 Gti Engine For 1.9Gti Engine

scott-205gti

Hi I'm hopefully going I be having my Peugeot 205 gti resprayed mid next year after I have saved up for the resprayed, the engine is going to be removed so the engine bay can be sprayed so my question is can I put a 1.9gti engine in it and use the wiring loom off the 1.6 gti engine without cutting any wires ect and just change the ecu, would this work ok or not. Thanks Scott

Tom Fenton

Have you tried a search, I am sure this is covered.

In very basic terms the 1.6 to 1.9 swap is about the easiest swap going. The engine bolts on the same mounts and everything will fit as it should, exhaust, water cooling, everything. You can retain the original wiring. As you say swap the ECU. Also use all the 1.9 injection bits, so dizzy, injectors, air flow meter.

Anthony

The only thing to note is that depending on the age of the replacement engine, you might need to swap over the thermostat housing and/or the inlet manifold from your existing engine - later engines had the coil mounted on top of the inlet, and the ECU temp sensor was integrated into the thermostat housing, whereas on earlier engines the coil was mounted on the wing (so no mount on the inlet) and the ECU temp sensor was on a separate block on the side of the engine.

But otherwise, pretty much as Tom said - very straight forward, and is nigh on a straight like-for-like swap :)

scott-205gti

Hi thanks for the replies, i just need to save the money to restore the old girl and make her like new again.

Rich_p

If you are chaging to a 1.9 purely for performance then it's probably not worth the hassle and expense

Sign in to follow this