• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cRaig

Best Way Of Rust Proofing A Mild Steel Exhaust?

Baz

Welding the split, if you can find someone with a TIG they should be able to do a very neat job that doesn't interfere with gas flow or fitment. Otherwise MIG weld and dress it back afterwards.

I've done this on the last few standard exhausts I've fitted, just seemed like a good idea after seeing the state of a couple I'd removed.

g

I've always done this too when/where possible.

As well as bracing/skidding the centre box if necessary, perhaps worth thinking about as they often crack where the pipe enters the box, although bear in mind heating/welding it could damage any anti-corrosive coating it may have from standard, increasing the corrosion process.

Tom Fenton

Here is why you weld the split.

Photo-0195.jpg

pug_ham

I've removed some that were in a worse state than that one Tom.

One to the extenet it was blocking the downpipe by around 75% imo.

The owner couldn't believe it was the same car when I dropped it back with them.

g

cRaig

Wow, that is a bit of a design flaw, i hope its a fair few years before my new exhaust looks like that!

kyepan

don't all mild steel exhausts rust from the inside out due to the fact that water is produced as a by product of the combustion process?

harryskid

don't all mild steel exhausts rust from the inside out due to the fact that water is produced as a by product of the combustion process?

I would agree with that, thats why in my trade we now use condensing boilers. The heat exchangers are stainless steel because the condence is corrosive, so the stainless steel. Also the condence drain must be plastic, even the inside of the flue is plastic. The only way to have a decent lasting exchaust is stainless steel but at an exp price.Any paint on the outside is only going to stop external rust for a short while and as you said the real rot wiil come from the inside!

welshpug

seen similar myself too, where the split had gone right down the middle and was blocking the lower half, and I remember pugtop's one on his rally car ending up rattling around in the tailpipe :lol:

Batfink

already mentioned lol painting the outside is a waste of time really.

SurGie

Exactly, Cam coat have used military salt tests to test their coatings and also supply to prestige motors.

Go get your self a stainless steel one, job jobbed.