• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan_stdt

1.9 Turbo Diesel Not Running Right After H/g Change

ryan_stdt

hi

before the H/G change it run sweet as a nut apart from pressurising the coolant, after ive changed the H/G it hasnt been running correctly. It makes a clattering noise and doesnt idle smoothly and puffs a bit of white smoke out the back, it sounds like the injection is too far advanced but ive had the timimg belt on and off numerous times to no avail.

i had alot skimmed off of the head (basicly right down to its limit) and didnt use the thickest H/G i could have. do you think that this might have anything too do with it.

im in the process of rebuilding another head so at some point next week am going to swop the heads over, but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks

ryan

welshpug

having a heavy skim and not using the thicker gaskets as required will retard the cam timing, taking the belt on and off will not alter the pump timing, that is done by rotating the pump itself.

Paul_13

He's messed about with the pump timing about moving it in its mount.

What Ryan means when he's had the belt off numerous times, is that he has made sure the timing is right.

It has only started playing up since the skim, went like stink before :lol:

What bottom pulley you using? I remember one you had in garage was different to the other.

Edited by Paul_13

ryan_stdt

cheers paul that is what i meant to say.

i know i should have used the thicker gasket but it was all i had at the time - ive learnt the hard way.

youve made me wonder now if ive stupidly used one of my gti6 pulleys by mistake, but then agian the bottom end if as i removed it from the stdt. ill have a good look tomorrow after ive dropped the new head of to have a light skim.

when this car is running i can mount my lovely TD04l blower :rolleyes:

Paul_13

My worry is you bent some valves :( Will see when you take the head off. I remember saying it sounded like piston slap last time :lol:

I remember seeing the 1.8dt pulley and it looked different to the 1.9dt pulley.

Get that turbo mounted!

Strictly_Derv

Get that turbo mounted!

+1 :ph34r:

ryan_stdt

does any body know what is the standard thickness of a xud9 head gasket, so i can make sure that i can make sure that i get the correct one this time. hopefully my spare head will only need a very light skim just to make sure it is flat and square.

Sign in to follow this