• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
screwloose

Wider Arches

screwloose

Hi, my track 205 is currently having its sills repaired and we have removed all the door trim from the doors/sides. While in this state it reminded of Baz's car (formerly smckeown's) with its side trim delete and larger black arches.

I have searched the forum to find out where to now source the arches from in the slimmer of the two options. I understand they offer 2 widths: wide and extra wide. I'd want the 'wide' not the 'extra wide' because I wont be running wider running gear nor wider wheels than standard.

This leads me to my next question: I want to run standard wheels. Will it look daft running these arches without wider wheels or wider track? Will the wheels look lost in the arches? Does anyone have a picture of these arches with standard wheels on a car?

Where do i source these arches from because it appears they are no longer available through the ebay shop people have used and referrenced on here in the past?

What are people's general opinions on the matter? Leave standard or be brave and make it a little different with wider arches and no side door trim?

Here's a pic for referrence:

rear1.jpg

• Like 1

sharpm

For a track car I would think it would look best with a wider track if you were to go with the wide arches

The car in the pic does look good though - is it running standard track or widened ??

Strictly_Derv

Rallye arches I know but they are wider than GTI's I think

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

It's now got Comp's and a 20mm wider track

Edited by Strictly_Derv

brumster

Rallye arches I know but they are wider than GTI's I think

I don't think that's correct. I'm thinking along the lines of the OP - I have rallye arches on my car, with 309 track, and they are rubbing the inside of the arches on compression - not massively, but it's noticeable. On original gti arches it never did this, so I don't think rallye arches are any more generous (if anything maybe they're a smidgen narrower, but this could just be down to how they were stuck on). I need to sort some slightly wider front arches and would be interested in the answer to the above question too - where do I get not-daft wider arches for the front :)

Rich_p

There's a chap on Retrorides that makes and supplies good quality wide arches in several different widths, it might be worth a look on there to see if he has anything suitable.

They seem reasonably priced too.