• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dickie

Operation: Factory Reset

Dickie

Thought the best way to get started on the Forum would be to start a Project Thread.

The Car:

My first 205 GTI I have ever owned, and I have a lot plans for it. Picked it up on 22/1/12 from Staines, drove it back home and I am truly addicted to the feel of driving it.

It is an '88 1.6 with only 77K on the clock, plus it's a non sunroof. It has had absolutely no modifications done to it whatsoever, even the parcel shelf hasn't had speakers fitted.

It was listed on Gumtree with a suspected engine problem. When I went to view the car the owner was listing possible reasons for the poor running of the engine, but had overlooked the fact that it hadn't had fresh petrol in 3 years as it hadn't moved from his drive in that time. Arranged to pick it up the next day after knocking him down a bit on the price. The next day cash changed hands and I but 10ltrs of petrol in the car on his drive and drove off with a perfectly running 205 GTI. Bargain is an understatement!

Haven't had a chance to go over it with a fine tooth comb yet but when I get a chance I'll amass a list of parts needed for its MOT and eventual tidy up.

Here are a few pics of it after I picked it up.

403751_10150495855201906_654186905_8876345_297696979_n.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

Finally, does anybody recognise the car? I only ask as the history is a bit patchy and wanted to fill in the gaps if anybody has had any dealings with the car.

sensualt101

looks like you got a genuine bargain! i wish i had seen it lol! i too have a genuine unmodified 1.6 gti so will follow how you progress with tidying up and mot work :) you gonna keep it as peugeot intended?

Dickie

It's going to be standard. The only bits I may upgrade are the suspension and exhaust system.

ellis

very nice mate, will look forward to watching it transform.

Leon

Looks great, good luck with the recommissioning.

jeremy

It's going to be standard. The only bits I may upgrade are the suspension and exhaust system.

Personally I would rephrase the word upgrade with recondition, in the main the rear beam, unless it has has this done recently. Also with regards to an exhaust I would only change this if it is fitted with some aftermarket crap or needs a new one. Just looked at the rear pic again, and the exhaust looks standard so unless had it then keep your money.

Edited by jeremy

Dickie

Day Two

Finally got a chance to start working on the 205 today. Generally going over and making a mental jobs list so I can start ordering parts.

This was a little surprise that put a smile on my face. Apparently a rolled up Bar Towel makes a perfectly good Air Filter. I don't think so!

DSC00812.jpg

Jobs List So Far!

Exhaust needs replacing as I discovered a horrible hole between the mid and rear section. Any suggestions on a good replacement that gives a good sound?

Indicators are temperamental as they only work 25% of the time. I'm new to 205's so still tracing the wiring back to check the earths. The hazards work so might be a relay for the indis.

Front Fogs need replacing as expected

N/S headlight needs replacing as seal has gone

Fuel Cap lock is damaged so I'm hoping I can source a replacement from a scrappy and change the lock over so I can keep it all on one key.

New tyres needed

Work Done

New Spark plugs, Leads, Air Filter and Oil.

Ordered all new rear badges direct from Peugeot, make the rear look a lot fresher. Also found they still have the original Peugeot branded square keys for the 205 so ordered a couple. Will post pics when I pick them up.

Seat covers removed and are currently in the washing machine as they were filthy, and I like that Peugeot had the forethought of using zips.

jackherer

Indicators are temperamental as they only work 25% of the time. I'm new to 205's so still tracing the wiring back to check the earths. The hazards work so might be a relay for the indis.

It's normally the hazard switch failing when this happens, the indicators are wired through it.

eddie bullit

Yeah..I had to wedge min hazard switch in the recess to get the indicators to work until I could buy a replacement..Wife use to mock my little pug for that and it's jerky nature :lol:

Caygill

Exhaust needs replacing as I discovered a horrible hole between the mid and rear section. Any suggestions on a good replacement that gives a good sound?

The good sound is naturally a bit subjective, but the cat-free 1.9 has the ultimate sound in my opinion. The big maker/breaker in regards of sound seems to be chambered vs. bullet mufflers, where the 1.9 without cat gave a tremendous pressure throughout the exhaust - happily flapping your pant-legs 1m behind the car.

I have no exact ideas on how the 1.9 exhaust will fit the 1.6, but I would aim for something along these line.

Dickie

Treated the GTI to a few new parts today.

Front and Rear Badges and some Peugeot stamped blank keys. I know the 'GTI' badge is missing still waiting for delivery.

th_22b62667.jpg

th_1af66486.jpg

If anyone is interested I can get more of the keys.

Edited by Rich999

DaveW

Looks a good base and is the bar towel a product of K&N :P

Dickie

Had a result at my local breakers today. After a couple of hours searching I found a 205 CJ + GR that had every part I was looking for. So I walked away with:

Complete lockset on 1 key including glove box

Mint Rear Fog

Boot Struts

Hazard Switch

Wing Mirror Adjusters

Still looking for a standard exhaust. One question I have is what is the difference between a 1.6 and 1.9?

Dickie

Been a while since I have updated the thread

Fitted new Exhaust

New Fogs

New Gear linkage

Dickie

Well now I have both the GTI and CTI I have to chose which I am going to keep. Unfortunately I think the GTI is going to lose. It still needs some work and the CTI has just sailed through an MOT. So keep your eyes peeled for a For Sale thread from me soon.

joris_andriesse

Selling this beautiful gti?

You are going to regret that so much!

chipstick

Do you have a close up pic of those key blanks? Are they what were used on later cars like 106s etc of the time?

I must admit though I am put off key cutting for life after having my 205 key cut poorly and it then ruining my lock. Had to then change the set over. Went back for a refund/moan to which the chap replied 'well it is an old car'.

Dickie
Selling this beautiful gti?

You are going to regret that so much!

I know I probably will. If the price is not right I will keep it.

Dickie
Do you have a close up pic of those key blanks? Are they what were used on later cars like 106s etc of the time?

Here is a close up of the design of the key. Someone else might be able to tell you about the 106

aa8084180ed2d06f4f5449d280ce97c3.jpg