• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bobdylan_55

Common Failures On 205/309

bobdylan_55

Hi people,

I was hoping that you could help me produce a list of common failures on 205s or 309s.

Not fussed about how big or small a failure it is, anything and everything.

Many Thanks

Edited by bobdylan_55

allanallen

205 coin tray :P

jord294

rear beams ;)

bobdylan_55

Jord, could if possible you determine why exactly the beams fail? i.e. poor design or just general wear over time?

and the coin holder might sound funny but its the kind of thing im looking for lol.

cheers

allanallen

You writing a book bob?

bobdylan_55

lol nope, trying a new business venture.

welshpug

beams don't fail, they just wear out :lol:

gti6 timing belts :ph34r:

brake compensators

corrosion resistance!

johnnyboy666

leaking heater matrix

noisy heater fan

rad fan temp switch dying

hubs ovaling

caliper bleed nipples seized/snapping

little posts that the interior wing mirror trim uses to atach snappng

interior plastics getting brittle

faded bumpers

disintegrating speakers

dead central locking

slow leccy window motors

I think you'd need to split this into categories otherwise its gonna get messy!

e.g; shell, interior, engine, running gear

and then youve got the thousands of faults which are inherent in old cars not just 205 specific

Leon

Shell corrosion:

Headlamp panel

Inner wing

Bulkhead to floor join

Leading edge of roof

Sill to 3/4 panel join

Under rear seats (above fuel tank)

Boot floor

Rear crossmembers

Above rear side windows

Door hinges (wear rather than corrosion)

Mechanical:

Driveshafts (weak)

Ovalled hubs

Rear beam seizure/wear

Caliper bleed nipples

Brake compensator

Gear linkages

Heater matrix

Electrical:

Heater fan

Temperature sensors/senders

General brittle wiring

Earth points (all)

Central locking failure

Gauge failure (fuel is usually the first one, corrosion at the pump end)

Trim:

Snapped mounting posts on arch mouldings

Brittle interior plastics

Coin holder pops open

Faded bumpers & exterior trim

etc!

j_turnell

Door pins

Seat Frames

Seat bolsers

Exhaust manifolds

gear linkages

Metal water pipe

Dash cowl cracking

Rust under rear seats

Headlights earths

central locking motors

boot trim cracking

driving light surrounds

Could go on forever, hope not too many newbies read this lol :D

Another classic that i forgot - Brown multiplug!

Edited by j_turnell

bobdylan_55

a few of you mentioning gear linkages. What exactly fails on these? Just pop off easy or?

Leon

They actually last a long time before the fail (pop off) - but they wear quite quickly and make the gearchange feel absolutely horrible.

Pugleyrich

Not sure if anyone mentioned it already, but phase 1.5-2 parcel shelf clips (by the rear seats)

BenC

Personal experience:

Dash top cracking - sun damage?

Gti seat bolsters collapsing due to the way you have to get in and out of the car.

Vacum sunroof failure - stuck shut

Noisy/slipping central locking motors

BenC

Personal experience:

Dash top cracking - sun damage?

Gti seat bolsters collapsing due to the way you have to get in and out of the car.

Vacum sunroof failure - stuck shut

Noisy/slipping central locking motors

also going to add dodgy hinges on glove box lid and rev gauge fails quite often on turbo diesel models (tdc sensor).

Strictly_Derv

Everthing they'r French....

Baz

Dash tops don't crack from the sun, you don't HAVE to get in & out of the car like a clumsy idiot, glove box hinges aren't dodgy! What would you prefer, an intricate bearing that's waiting to fail needing expensive replacement? A lot of it is actually very well designed if you think about it, built to last whilst still being cheap to produce/replace.

This thread is a mine-field and possibly endless judging by the ridiculous replies so far, hence i think it's a silly thread in a way! Most of this stuff is rubbish IMO as it actually comes down to poor maintenance and un-caring owners; badly removed/refitted trim, some clips etc are inevitably only ever meant to be used once, etc etc.

So my addition by proxy;

EVERYTHING! :P

They're all 20+ years old. But do pretty well comparatively speaking, look at similar aged Fords/Vauxhalls. ;)

Gear linkages aren't a 'failure', otherwise you can count every single mechanical component or consumable on the car!! :rolleyes: The nylon cups wear/shrink/fatigue and no longer sit firmly on the balls on the selector arms, hence pop off easily... they're a consumable, as are rear beams, etc etc

u47sb2

Interior clock

Heated rear screen

Driving lamp surrounds corrode

Sunroof leaks

Drop links wear

johnnyboy666

This thread is a mine-field and possibly endless judging by the ridiculous replies so far, hence i think it's a silly thread in a way! Most of this stuff is rubbish IMO as it actually comes down to poor maintenance and un-caring owners; badly removed/refitted trim, some clips etc are inevitably only ever meant to be used once, etc etc.

Your point about 'poor maintenance and uncaring owners' doesnt really apply in this scenario unless people have owned the car since it rolled out the factory. The point here is that people who dont know the previous owners can get a good idea of what might need fixing/replacing.

erbs

my pug is 21 years old and to be honest so far its been wear and tear stuff that has gone wrong, its normal,i personally believe that the 205 is a pretty

durable car by today's standards, Peugeot's only saving grace is that all 205's bodies was galvanized so rust isn't too much of an issue, mechanical items

can be replaced, I'm just proud to be an owner of such a vehicle and hopefully have many years driving her :)

Edited by erbs

Baz

Peugeot's only saving grace is that all 205's bodies was galvanized so rust isn't too much of an issue...

Wrong i'm afraid. Please don't post unless you KNOW something for certain, thinking isn't good enough, it's mis-information.

Baz

Your point about 'poor maintenance and uncaring owners' doesnt really apply in this scenario unless people have owned the car since it rolled out the factory. The point here is that people who dont know the previous owners can get a good idea of what might need fixing/replacing.

Where does it say that then? There is no 'scenario'. How does it matter how many owners a car's had?

How does that not apply?. If the 'point' here is as you say, then my offering stands; 'Everything'. That is my opinion.

A 'common failure' is not the same as stuff that fails as a result of poor maintenance, lack of servicing or careless ownership! - so can't really be servicable items as this is just a lack of maintenance and carelessness 'breakages' if you want to be picky. Hence i offered my reply in relation to the content of the thread, 'Everything' is a 'common failure' if we're not going to specify otherwise.

deathbringer929

leaking heater matrix

noisy heater fan

rad fan temp switch dying

hubs ovaling

caliper bleed nipples seized/snapping

little posts that the interior wing mirror trim uses to atach snappng

interior plastics getting brittle

faded bumpers

disintegrating speakers

dead central locking

slow leccy window motors

I think you'd need to split this into categories otherwise its gonna get messy!

e.g; shell, interior, engine, running gear

and then youve got the thousands of faults which are inherent in old cars not just 205 specific

i've had every one of the faults you list on my 1.9 (all now rectified thankfully )except the hubs "ovaling" what are the symptom and causes of this?

Anthony

i've had every one of the faults you list on my 1.9 (all now rectified thankfully )except the hubs "ovaling" what are the symptom and causes of this?

Generally it's down to people not torquing up the clamp bolt (or not replacing it so it comes loose/stretches) which allows the hub to move against the wishbone balljoint pin, and quickly makes the round hole in the hub go oval and increases the movement. Once ovalled, even with the bolt torqued up properly it still won't clamp the wishbone balljoint pin properly, and replacement is generally the answer (although there are people that can machine and repair them now)

Symptoms are that the car doesn't handle properly and feels unpredictable to drive, particularly when cornering when you'll often find the car will suddenly swerve part way into the corner as though you've just snatched at the steering wheel.