• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
VND

1.4 Carbs All The Same?

VND

Hi all,

Does anyone know if all tu 1.4 engines use the solex twin choke carb?

I'm looking at buying a Sceptre and wonder what differences in performance there would be compared to an XS?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

johnnyboy666

no they dont, the solex was generally on the xs,gt,roland garros then there was a different one on the xt,gr and the like, as for the sceptre what year is it? it might even be single point injection?

either way I think it would be around 5-10hp less

VND

Cheers man, that's great info.

It's described as a 1993 gtx Sceptre?

My last car was a jnr with a tu3s and I loved it. Looking for something which pulls similar.

trogboy

If it is a carbed engine then the differnces in performance stems from the carb, cam and advance curve for the dizzy.

Beware of the twin choke solex carbs as theyre are a couple of different versions - secondary venturi diameter and obviously jetting varies. The TU3S version is 32/32 i.e. the secondary venturi is the same diameter as the primary which makes it easier to identify by sight.

VND

If it is a carbed engine then the differnces in performance stems from the carb, cam and advance curve for the dizzy.

Beware of the twin choke solex carbs as theyre are a couple of different versions - secondary venturi diameter and obviously jetting varies. The TU3S version is 32/32 i.e. the secondary venturi is the same diameter as the primary which makes it easier to identify by sight.

Thanks a lot for that man.

So even if you switch in a 32/32 carb/inlet, you still wouldnt be pushing into XS power without switching the cam and dizzy fiddling.

Thats good to know.

Edited by VND

johnnyboy666

93 gtx will be single point injection im pretty sure

you could always just swap engines for a tu3s, Ive got one for sale if you're intertested

*end of shameless plug*

trogboy

Doh - I missed the GTX bit. If the engine is original it's sure to be single point injection.

VND

Doh - I missed the GTX bit. If the engine is original it's sure to be single point injection.

Ah cheers lads.

I hadnt even considered it being an injection till the possibility was mentioned here!

Anyone have any experience of the Single Point Injection versions?

you could always just swap engines for a tu3s' date=' Ive got one for sale if you're intertested

*end of shameless plug*[/quote']

Cheers for the offer man, but im not really on for an engine swap atm.

RossD

Years ago, when I first starting driving, my 1.4 GR would top out at 95mph, nothing I did would make it go any faster. Swapped over to the twin choke TU3S carb, along with the inlet manifold and it then went off the clock! Either the carb was shagged (It looked ok and the mixture seemed fine) or adding the Solex 32/32 CISAC actually added some power - I like to think the latter! (Obviously it wont be the full 85bhp that the TU3S had, due to cam\ignition differences, but there was certainly quite a kick to it after that!)

VND

Sounds like it is worth the carb swap then.

thanks for sharing dude.

johnnyboy666

Ive gotta say it is a great carb, especially when the second choke kicks in, it give you the impression of much more than a mere 85bhp