• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fatony1

Xsara Vts Box - 205 Diff Swap?

fatony1

Is it possible to do with gearbox in/subframe on?

Tom Fenton

I am fairly sure you need to remove one or the other.

jorg

I thought if you are just swapping the diff over you just need to remove the driveshafts from the box, everything else can stay on. maybe wrong though.

Anthony

You can normally just about do it with the subframe on, but you need to undo the lower engine mount and tilt the engine forward a bit to give sufficient clearance to remove the diff cover and remove the diff. Tight, but doable.

Certainly that's the case on an 8v and Mi16, but I'm not sure whether the bulky GTi-6 style sump (which I assume you're running) will allow you sufficient movement before hitting the radiator - I suspect not unfortunately.

fatony1

Maybe if i tilt the engine and loosen off the subframe ill be able ot squeeze it through...? Does anyone know of an online guide etc for swapping a diff? Really REALLY didnt want to go down this route but it seems the driveshaft cups are not interchangeable on my new 309 shafts from AB Motorsport so i can't fit the correct cup for use with the Xsara VTS diff :(

Anthony

To be honest, for the hassle it is, just drop the subframe off the car - it's really not that involved or time consuming, especially on a car like yours that has all been apart recently so you know the subframe bolts won't be a complete pig.

There's really not much to it - seperate wishbones from the hubs, undo one end of the droplinks, either undo the two steering rack bolts, undo the lower engine mount, remove the R clip from the gear rod, and unclip the long gear linkage rod. That's it - then just undo the 6 subframe bolts and drop it down on a trolley jack.

You'll have the whole job done inside of two hours, say three with tea breaks.

Given that the driveshafts are out anyway you could leave the subframe in place and just remove the gearbox since you're arguably half way there already - I just hate refitting gearboxes :lol:

Yes it's a bit of a pain, but equally, it's a one off pain and means that you're not having to run mis-matched driveshaft bits - certainly it seems silly to me to have spangly new driveshafts and to pull them apart to put an old (and potentially worn) inner CV cup on them, even if that were an option (which it isn't if you've got the driveshafts with the base model style inner CV on them)

allanallen

If you remove all 6 subframe fixings and the bottom engine mount the subframe will hang low enough for you to swap the diff. I did it this way on my supercharged motor as I couldn't swing the engine because everything's so tight at the front.

Baz

The sump has had the extra crap chopped off, but the box hasn't! (Was fitted later!) One shaft is already back in, time is at a premium & it will probably take longer than 2/3 hours because everyone isn't a well practised 205 building robot Mr Shuttle!! :lol:

There's a good guide on changing complete Crown wheel & pinion here Ant;

http://www.rallyparts.co.uk/cwp_change/

Obviously ignore the first section -the more in-depth gearbox apart/pinion etc bit, but it's still of use - follow it from removing the diff cover, speedo drive housing, pop the diff out, swap the crown wheel to the 205-diff, & re-fit everything!

I'll happily give you a hand if you're not rushing it?!

Edited by Baz

brumster

If it helps, I did as Anthony suggested when I had to swap the diff on an XU9J with BE3 box - no need to remove subframe, I managed to squeeze it through with tilting the engine and the bottom engine mount undone.

pugpete1108

i did my gti6 diff without removing the subframe, just slackened the bolts off a little

as said i tilted the engine forward on the lower mount (think i may have removed the bolt altogether?) you can just squeeze the diff cover through the gap.

welshpug

having done it in the car, I'd just drop the box out.

wicked

You could consider a LSD iso a weaker diff..... ;-)

Downgrading ain't fun, especially when the work is nasty as well..

Fitting a LSD is fun!!!

fatony1

Thanks for replies, i think ill try and squeeze it out and if all else fails, drop the subframe.

When i swap the crown wheel on the diff (VTS crown wheel onto the 205 diff yeah??) does it require new bolts? If so does anyone have the part number? (i know im Service Box lazy! :P ). Also is there a correct order/torque setting they need to be tightened to?

Cheers :)

allye

Thanks for replies, i think ill try and squeeze it out and if all else fails, drop the subframe.

When i swap the crown wheel on the diff (VTS crown wheel onto the 205 diff yeah??) does it require new bolts? If so does anyone have the part number? (i know im Service Box lazy! :P ). Also is there a correct order/torque setting they need to be tightened to?

Cheers :)

Taking the bolts out of the crown wheel is bit of a strange one, some times every bolt gets stripped some times it doesn't. When I did mine all the bolts got stripped from one diff but not the other :wacko: so I had a good set to use, I thread locked them in and used a air gun.

Part number is 8x

3119 59 RP 3119 63

08 01 CAPSCREW EMBASE M10X100-21

welshpug

I thread locked them in and used a air gun.

:wacko:

pug_ham
I thread locked them in and used a air gun.

Overkill!! They only need tightening to 48lbft, I just used a piece of flat steel bar which fitted into the speedo drive slot on the diff, held in a vice.

There is a full (out of car) diff swapping guide in the articles on the main website here

As said, can be dine in the car with the subframe on but far easier to drop the subframe or remove the box as you're 75% of the way to taking it off before yu start stripping the diff off.

If everything has been apart before fairly recently an afternoon should see it done with plenty of brew stops imo.

g

Sign in to follow this