• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Madeleine

405 Mi16 With 4X4 Running Gear For 205 Gti?

Madeleine

Hello!!

I have an opportunity to purchase a 405 Mi16 with 4x4 running gear for what I think might be quite inexpensive (1.600 euros). I do intend on swapping my current 1.6 engine for an Mi16 or GTI-6, but I likely will only be doing some of the work and letting the rest be done by a professional.

Is it worth purchasing this vehicle and then having the work done professionally? The engine currently has approximately 150.000km on it.

Some thoughts would be appreciated. :)

I apologise in advance if this is in the incorrect subforum... I'm not terribly sure where it should go.

Edited by Madeleine

Henry Yorke

if it is a 4x4 then it will be an XU9 so it is fairly old now. The chances are it will need a rebuild so include this in your budget too. 1600 euros sounds quite a lot for just an engine. There are not many other bits on the 4x4 which hold a lot of value either.

Why not try and find a smashed up 306 S16 and put that engine in? More power, lower mileage (though will probably still need a rebuild), better management, probably cheaper

Goliath

If you did buy it and only use the engine then I would be interested in the 4x4 running gear and could collect from you (Spain is not a problem, it's a nice drive)!

petert

It would be a shame to separate the block from the running gear. The Mi16x4 block has less mounting lugs for the bottom engine mount. You're better off looking for a 2WD block if you only want the engine and leave it for someone with an interest in restoring it. It's still one of the most sublime handling cars ever made.

Baz

The x4 block is fine, one lower mount hole/lug is missing/shaved down to make room for the transfer box. I've used 5 or so without issue though.

Not worth breaking for the running gear to put in a 205, it's much more involved than you probably think. Requires the prop shortening and driveshafts too or a wide arch kit to house the extra track width, the centre bearing mounting somewhere, not to mention some way of hanging the rear diff & re-routing the exhaust, amongst a few other things, not impossible as it has been done a few times, but not easy.

Agreed though, If you can find a 405 Mi16x4, keep it as is, they are VERY rare now and are special cars, I'd love another one tbh!

wicked

And you don't need 4WD in a 205 if you fit a unmodded Mi16... LSD is sufficient.

4WD drivetrains eat power...

As said above, the if 405 Mi16x4 is in good nick, don't take it apart.

boldy205

Real waste bodging it into a 205, keep it std 405 4x4, might even be worth something in a few years?!

Alastairh

4WD drivetrains eat power...

And weight. Keep it in the 405!

Madeleine

Okay! Thank you for the advice every one. :) I all ready have a few other vehicles any ways, so I suppose another would be far too many. ;) And, I'd rather have the GTi-6!!

For any that are interested, it is in Madrid. 405 Mi16

Edited by Madeleine

Sign in to follow this