• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Razkin

Crankshaft Thrust Bearing

Razkin

This week I received a set of (PSA) thrust bearings for an RFS engine. The partnumber is 118F4 I have verified(servicebox) this partnumber to be correct, but it doesn't match the old bearings.

They do not have a lip(block side) and the length of the two halves differ. The part number was correct and I have installed the bearings and endfloat is ok, but when you rock the crankshaft back and forth a bit you(20 degrees) can clearly see the thrust bearing doing the same(about 5 degrees).

I am unsure wether this is normal or that I have the wrong bearings and that they should not be able to move when installed. Do I need to get another set of bearings?

Razkin

Anyone who can give me the confirmation that Peugeot did change the design of the xu10j4rs thrust bearings to a design similar to the MI16 design (without a lip)?

peter

Ive used the ones that do NOT have the tag like you mention to build a 2.1 engine in as have others and the seem fine.

I think once the engine has started the thrust washers will settle into place as the crank only ever spins in one direction.

However you should still be able to get hold of the normal xu10 thrust bearings with the tag...

Razkin

The issue is sorted. The bearings received were indeed MI16 ones. The box they came in were wrongly labeled :angry:

Even though the endfloat was within specs(0.12mm) and the crankshaft would rotate fine, with the correct bearings it rotates even smoother(0.23mm).

trackpugpete

Hi, I realise that this is an old post but i'm having the same problem on an Mi16 rebuild, ie: the thrust bearings turning when the crank is rocked.

They are the ones with the tab and there's no damage or wear so I presume they are the wrong ones

I dont like the idea of that kind of movement under rapid acceleration/deceleration but Peugeot dont have them, so can anyone advise where I might get the correct replacement ?

Cheers Pete

wicked

Did you check the end float on the crank? Did you place them correct (not swapped)?

trackpugpete

Thanks for response,

end float is well within tolerance, they were replaced correctly but i've since tried every variation and nothing helps, so they must have been this way before.

They could have been fitted at a previous strip down, from a different era of engine.

Miles at pugracing.com has a standard xu9j4 set that I can buy so might have to try those for fit and report back.