• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
erbs

Driving Lights Fail

erbs

when i put high beam on they do not light up

what are the most common things to check

these are brand new driving lights

Fox

Fuse? Earths? Realy? Have you checked they have bulbs in!?

Edited by Fox

Anthony

The connections where they join the car loom (two yellow plugs) are typically problemsome and might need a wiggle/clean.

Otherwise, check the basics and using a multimeter work your way backwards until you find the fault.

erbs

bulbs work,high beam work on normal headlights

where is the relay situated?

earths are fine,the old rusty ones worked, maybe i have disturbed something?

Edited by erbs

Miles

If they are rusty that's why, old contact's generally work until moved then they become non conductive, I always re-crimp the wires and replace the earth blocks these days

SurGie

Iv found the wire rusted all the way through the driving yellow block wiring.

Paul_13

My yellow plugs are really tempermental, I have to plug them in and then nearly unplug them to work.

Daviewonder

My yellow plugs are really tempermental, I have to plug them in and then nearly unplug them to work.

I have to do this with my side repeaters.

welshpug

I fitted these to mine a few years ago now.

1094_226069.jpg1094_226070.jpg

cheesegrater

As above I changed mine to insulated spade terminals never had a problem since.

erbs

it was the plugs that have corroded gave em a clean and all ok now.............thanks

Mac Crash

I've some questions regarding the same issue if anyone can help, thanks...

1. 1990 1.9 Gti (which phase is this car?) it has clear front indicators but they obviously might have been changed from original. Where is the relay located for the long range driving lights? I'm reading conflicting information from other threads, some say it is on the bulkhead engine bay and others say it is on the fusebox/bank (glovebox access)

2. Recently had to inspect the remote oil cooler for suspected oil leak (turned out it was the oil hose rubbing off the metal clamp of the bottom radiator hose that had holed the oil pipe) and in the process of removing parts from the car for access I disconnected the front driving lamps from their yellow connectors, now they are not working, bulbs are new and okay. Main question here is that it always says to disconnect the battery before disconnecting lights etc, I didn't in this case, so daft question but why is it necessary to disconnect the battery?

welshpug

a 90 gti can be phase1 or 1.5, does it have a grey or black dash? (specifically very dark grey /pedant... )

1. next to the expansion tank, not seen any car that has one in the glovebox, I know the 309 has the horn relay in the glovebox where the 1.9 has it with the driving lamp relay, 1.6 doesn't use a horn relay.

2. terminals in the yellow plugs corrode, I cut mine off and replaced with superseal connectors 7 years ago, no issue since, oh yeah, as I posted above :lol:

disconnect the battery as the shunt box has a permanent live wire attached to the slam panel which you will be removing to move the fan cowling.

Edited by welshpug

jackherer

a 90 gti can be phase1 or 1.5, does it have a grey or black dash? (specifically very dark grey /pedant... )

A 1990 can be phase 1.5 or phase 2, it can't be a phase 1.

table7.png

welshpug

brainfart moment indeed :lol:

Mac Crash

1. next to the expansion tank, not seen any car that has one in the glovebox, I know the 309 has the horn relay in the glovebox where the 1.9 has it with the driving lamp relay, 1.6 doesn't use a horn relay.

2. terminals in the yellow plugs corrode, I cut mine off and replaced with superseal connectors 7 years ago, no issue since, oh yeah, as I posted above :lol:

disconnect the battery as the shunt box has a permanent live wire attached to the slam panel which you will be removing to move the fan cowling.

Dash is grey, dark as you say but definitely grey, bumper trim is grey also, no reverse light on the bumper, just the fog and dummy fog, rear seat belts and rotary heater controls... so phase 1.5 yes?

1. noted, thanks, just out of interest and to pick your brains... which relays are in the glovebox fuse bank?

2. Will check the yellow connectors and clean them up then go from there, thanks, yip, seen your old post too, guess I'm just checking the obvious.

I managed to access the oil cooler by unbolting the slam panel and setting it aside without disconnecting the bonnet release cable etc... oil cooler was bone dry and in good condtion, so fired the engine up and after a few seconds found the hole in the exit oil hose... disconnected the hose and got it re-ended by Pirtek, so all is well again regarding this.... jumped the gun a bit though and was convinced it was the oil cooler so ended up buying one of those nice direct alloy replacements complete with OE bracket etc from Spoox Motorsport... hmmm, live and learn the hard way sometimes, eh? damn and now we're talking about it I remember winning an auction on ebay for an original 1.9 oil cooler, cost me 99p complete with hoses.... so I'm okay in the oil cooler department now :D

A 1990 can be phase 1.5 or phase 2, it can't be a phase 1.

table7.png

Yip, have seen and read this history legend/key a few times now, nice, but would be good if it showed definitively where one phase finishes and another begins

jackherer

The phases are just unofficial terms we use on here, Peugeot introduced changes gradually so yours is probably more like phase 1.75 :)

All the phase 2 changes were introduced by September 1990 when the black bumpers and exterior trim came on stream.

If you want to be really confused try the Australian forums where they call them phase 1,2 and 3...

Edited by jackherer

Mac Crash

Ah so! I see, well okay, thanks for that, good to know :)

Slo

August 1986 Dim dip headlights fitted. Interesting does that mean all before then only had a low beam? We're driving lamps switchable then? or even included?

welshpug

no, it means before 86 you could drive along in the dark on two 5 watt sidelights if you were a muppet and turned the stalk one click.

after 86 there's a resistor and a circuit that feeds the dip beam filament with 20% power, so you have at least 15 watts of power each side :lol:

driving lamps which come on only with main beam were standard on all gti's other than those specified with fog lamps, which had a separate switch, and would turn off when main beam was engaged.

Slo

Ahh right always wondered why new car ads mentioned dim dip headlights when it was pretty obvious they had low and high beams :lol:

Not sure if mines got that feature or if it works. tbh i never took any notice

I see cti prices were considerably more when new but now seem to be valued at half a tin top unless its modified with a silly engine :ph34r:

Slo

Went out last night and tried my sidelights and the dim dip doesn't work so my resistor must be knackered. Anyone got a part number?

farmer