• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
u47sb2

1600 8V Engine Options

u47sb2

At a bit of a junction here with what to do with the rally car. I was running a standard 1600 8V engine but that went bang last weekend at Knockhill. The cheapest option is to put another standard lump in but I'm wondering if I should look at something with a bit more power. Unfortunately this is an area where I've not much clue. Would like to stick to 1600 capacity and 8 valves to avoid moving up a class as it's a competitive class where I'm fairly competitive, and don't want to be spending silly money/not looking for extreme power. It's work I'd not be doing myself so I have to bear in mind labour costs etc and I don't want to end up with something requiring a lot of work to make it fit.

So what options are available? Cam? Throttle bodies? Big valve head?

Steven

welshpug

flat top 1.9 pistons and a cam, throttle bodies on a decent manifold (not any of the off the shelf designs...)

decent 4-2-1 exhaust manifold.

not sure at what point the standard head becomes restrictive, nor the valve sizes, though I doubt the valve size is a major concern at all given they are pretty large already.

"big valve head" is more often than not just a marketing gimmick not fully tested out, proven several times by Sandy's race engines that tend to use standard diameter valves (though re-profiled in most cases)

extra valves wouldn't hurt ;) ....

Edited by welshpug

pug_ham

It might be worth sending stuart a pm.

He has a 1.6 rally car that had 160+ hp iirc using mostly standard components.

g

Sign in to follow this