• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanRM

Heater Wiring Problem

DanRM

You might have to read this a couple of times as Im finding it hard to put it into words haha

A while back my heater was intermittent and worked when it wanted, then stopped completely.

I had a go at sorting it out and tested the circuit board behind the heater knobs with a wire and it worked, so bought a new unit. Unplugged the old one and the heater came on slowly, attached it again (and the new one) and it stops.

Now without anything plugged in the side lights and dial illumination doesn't work but theres a slow feed from the heater (until plugged back in). I have crossed wires and worked out which work and currently have wires 2+3 taped together for lights and 1+3 connected for the fan to work constantly on high speed.

What is causing this that when its unplugged it works a little and when its plugged it doesnt?

Also when tracing the wire back behind the fuse panel i noticed a fair few wires have melted i dont think this has anything to do with the above as those wires are separate to the melted

Thanks

Dan

DanRM

Right, I have had a look again today and i have had the resistor out, was quite corroded, so i cleaned it up the best i can and refitted it. I had a play around with it whilst it was plugged in and the fan came on a few times.. so it looks like i need a new resistor.

Question is do the side lights and instrument illumination go to that resistor? as i still have no front side lights or illumination (the warning lights and rear sidelights) and if so what colour wire/number is it on the plug?

Cheers

dcc

might be something simple like dry joints on your wiring loom in the engine bay for the lights, mine was anyway.

rallysteve

Think you will find that they all work on low speed when the controls are disconnected.

Steve