• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fairway1

[misc_work] '88 205 1.6 Automatic (5 Door)

fairway1

Is that auto gear lever as bad as it looks?

I have a mint one you can have if you need it.

Yes, it does seem to have had a battering doesn't it......... lol

Yeah, I'd be very interested in a replacement.......could you PM me with a price?

Cheers

fairway1

Blue rinse interior mmm and those brakes look crusty as!

Yeah.....whats left of it......the seats & parcel shelf have faded to more of pale gray these days lol

cRaig

Making good progress! And good to see you on this forum as well :)

Craig

fairway1

Making good progress! And good to see you on this forum as well :)

Craig

Helloooo!!

Indeed, I only joined a few weeks ago. Its a bit of a nightmare to become a member of this forum but I thaught it only fair to my poor 205 as I have my 309 on the 309 owners forum.

Not got all that much done to my 205 since we last spoke TBH, I was very busy working right accross X-mas & New Year but I'm hoping work will quieten down now & I'll have more time (and £££s) to spend on my cars in the coming weeks.

fairway1

Got a little bit more done to my 205 yesterday which I found interesting.....

I got a local mobile auto tuner / mechanic out this week to sort out the tickover problem out on my 205.

Cutting a long story short, there appeared to be two problems with the choke itself.

The choke is regulated by the cooling system (as the car / coolant gets warm the choke knocks itself off accordingly). There appeared to be a little bit of trapped air in the system, which, after using the bleed screw on the thermostat housing, we seemed to pretty much cure, however in my humble opinion there should be a little more pressure behind the coolant thats pumped into the carb, but we'll worry about that another day.

The main problem seemed to be caused by this shiney pin (see the yellow arrow), which is physically pushed from behind to open / close the choke.

008-6.jpg

The problem was, even with the screw at the end (see the green arrow) screwed in as far as it would go, the pin just was not long enough to fully open or close the choke meaning it refuses to tick over when its cold & the tick over is slightly too high when its fully warmed up.

To try & make the pin a bit longer, we connected it to a small screw head with a few mm of screw left underneath it (see red arrow) which appears to have cured the tick over being too fast when the engine is warm, however, nothing we seemed to do could get the choke to close fully when the engine is cold meaning it was a sod to start from cold & again, would initially refuse to tick over untill it got hot.

Now, I've been back to my 205 today & the problem with the choke not fully closing by itself appears to have sorted itself out. I believe, owing to the fact the car had been stood for 4 years prior to me getting it, everything is siezed & sticking & with liberall amounts of carb & choke cleaner everything is simply now freeing itself off. This problem will probably sort itself out after a good long drive down the M62 & using it on a daily basis.

001-5.jpg

003-10.jpg

fairway1

005-10.jpg

006-7.jpg

007-9.jpg

fairway1

Almost forgot, what a bloody stupid idea that was to make the cooling system bleed screw (just above the thermostat housing) out of plastic. It literally fell apart in my hand as I tried to gently unscrew it.

I've replaced it with a metal bolt for the time being......but you can only just make it out in this pic.......

009-6.jpg

fairway1

Air filter housing was filthy inside & out as where the various pipes that go to / from it.

They all got washed thoroughly in my bath at home.

005-11.jpg

fairway1

009-7.jpg

006-8.jpg

005-12.jpg

001-6.jpg

fairway1

003-11.jpg

013-1.jpg

fairway1

My 205 only came with one wheel trim & I found it in the boot & it was in a very sorry state. God only knows what happened to the other 3.

I was having a rummage around a local breakers yard this afternoon & picked up (amongst all sorts of other rubbish) a set of 4 plastic trims off a tidy mid '90s Peugeot 106. They're in an 'average' - 'OK' condition, two of them having light / minor scuffs on them but non of them have any real damage. I only paid 50p each for them so I can't complain, but I'm happy with them anyways.

They got a good scrub with washing up liquid + hot water in the bath when I got home. They where absolutely filthy......

001-7.jpg

They're currently drying on the radiator in the hallway at home (the 4th one is on the radiator in the livingroom)........

002-7.jpg

Edited by fairway1

cRaig

Washing car parts in the bath.. very committed to the cause! :D

fairway1

Washing car parts in the bath.. very committed to the cause! :D

A hell of a lot of bits off my 309 have been washed in that bath at some point before my 205 came along lol.

To be honest I hardly use it, I don't live far from a nice, modern gym / health spa I'm a member of so I much prefer to get myself there for a shower then have a soak in their jaccuzzi / steam room / sauna for a while in an evening.

fairway1

Found this on another forum

http://clubpeugeotuk...lay&thread=1755

Basically the problem is the Bi-metallic strip housed in the pipe that feeds water to the carb. Over time it wears out and doesn't perform as well. Just like a thermostat.

Dickie, you are an absolute star.

The probs that guy is having are almost exactly the same as mine. My 205 will be MOT'd in the next few days & I'm going to use it daily for a few weeks & see if that frees everything off & if everything settles down. If its still playing up after a few weeks of daily use I'll have to look at either reconditioning or replacing with a manual choke carb

CallumCurwood

I love this, glad to see someone looking after a good 205 :)

Dickie

No problem. Been looking through Service box, but can't find any mention of the part. Maybe someone else with Service Box access can track it down easier.

fairway1

Bump!

Hi everyone! As those of you out there who have been taking an interest in my progress on my 205 + 309 may have noticed that I've not been on here for a fair while.

Don't worry, everything is OK, its just that I've recently started a new job based in Silkeborg, Denmark regularly travelling into Sweden. I'm away from home for 8 - 12 weeks at a time then I'll come home to the UK for maybe 2 weeks then go back to work again for another 8 - 10 weeks. Its a long time to be away from home but it pays VERY well (and TAX + NI free! Up yours Chancellor George Osbourne!)

I was hoping to have my 205 MOT'd in time for me to come over to Denmark in with all my stuff but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Those crusty brakes where actually in very bad shape. The brake pipes where leaky and unbelieveably rotten all over and clearly had been for a long time because previous owners had been blathering the copper pipes with underseal just to get it 'through one more MOT', but the pipes have been left to rot under the underseal & in places had rotted away almost completely leaving only patches of hollow pipes of underseal in places! I've had new discs, pads & shoes fitted, freed off the calipers and have replaced ALL of the brake pipes.

The seemingly simple problem with neither of the front electric windows working turned into a bit of a headache when it became obvious both motors and regulators needed replacing, problem being even more excasberated when I bought 2 motors and 2 regulators (used) (£45 inc p&p which I thought was pretty good?) from a chap on eBay to find when they arrived that the motors where slightly different than the ones on my 205 (clearly the ones I got off eBay where from either an older or a newer model 205).

Not a massive problem but just more fiddly bloody work to alter them & I literally ran out of time before I had to leave to start work in Denmark, so I've come over (via the Killingholme to Ebjerg Stena freight ferry) in my trusty 309.

I had the Easter break off work so I had a drive into Aarhus to see the sights and do some shopping, gaining a few odd looks from Danish car drivers who obviously don't see many old UK registered RHD cars knocking about over there.

I DO have pics of the work on the brakes & window motors / regulators but I've left my SD card reader at home, as soon as I manage to pick a cheap one up in either Sweden or Denmark I'll upload them!

In the mean time, my 205 is currently tucked away SAFE in my nice & DRY garage and work to get it through MOT will resume when I have some time off at home for a few weeks.

Safe driving everyone!

fairway1

Well I'm back home in the UK for 2 weeks off work, got lots to do so not a lot of time free to do any serious work on my 205, but I have managed to spend the odd couple of hours here & there giving it a good clean up & polish. I've just got the drivers door, drivers side front wing & the lower part of the front bumper left to do, but so far its looking bloody good for a car that cost me £25!!!

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

DaveW

Looking clean now, wheres the wheel trims?

fairway1

Looking clean now, wheres the wheel trims?

Hi Dave,

Good question is that. When I got the car there was only one (I think original) wheel trim & it was in the boot and it was in a pretty battered condition.

I've recently managed to source a 'used but almost mint' set of Peugeot trims off eBay (think they're off a 106) and I'm hoping they will look OK and not out of place : )