• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gaz832

Painting Your Own 205.

harryskid

Out of interest you guys using rattle cans, how many cans does it take to do a whole 205 ?

stu8v

PMSL rattle cans for a whole car..........................................! Must be a least 10 a tin?????

Paint is 20 quid a litre plus thinner plus activator. No brainer to me......

steve@cornwall

PMSL rattle cans for a whole car..........................................! Must be a least 10 a tin?????

If you have a compressor, gun etc - yes. About £80 quids worth of paint (speak to your autoparts place and see if they'll discount on a pack) . Really beginning to boil my piss that so many expect everyone to have a fully equipped shop / bottomless pockets!

harryskid

Same thoughts ! :D

stu8v

A cheap gun and compressor hardly a full body shop and booth.

stu8v

A cheap gun and compressor hardly a full body shop and booth.

£175 tops new!

harryskid

I have a compressor and it was not that dear. The thing is once you have one it has loads of uses, being able to inflate tyres ,air tools ect. Well worth having !

cRaig

If you have a compressor, gun etc - yes. About £80 quids worth of paint (speak to your autoparts place and see if they'll discount on a pack) . Really beginning to boil my piss that so many expect everyone to have a fully equipped shop / bottomless pockets!

My mate bought a compressor from netto for about 50 quid (no joke!) and we got a gun from screwfix. It doesnt have to be expensive, and its painted about 4 cars now!

Edited by cRaig

Cameron

A compressor isn't just money though, it takes up a fair bit of space too!

Not sure how many rattle cans it takes to paint a whole car, I used one to paint the front end of mine so I assume you'd need about 15 to do a whole car..? With a gun you have the advantage of being able to use 2k paints, though you shouldn't really due to the potential damage they can cause you and the environment.. and of course you can get air tools afterwards.. it's a tough call!

Edited by Cameron

harryskid

I found small jobs with rattle cans are ok but i don't like that splutter when the cans near its empty bit. Rather than risk that i chuck em with a bit still left in them. I much preffer the compressor method !

Cameron

I had no such horrors with my Paints4U cans, the nozzles even spray in a fan. :D

madspikes

matt black is sooo 2009 2nd division footballer....

wow.. sooo 2009... Thats up the fashion for me!

I used ebay paint link to paint my car matt black back in the summer. I would have loved to have spent an arm-and-a-leg getting a professional however I ready have a wife and two kids that have done that for me. I just needed a cheap way of tidying up my car, which it did. I have found the mat black a nightmare to clean, but as a rule I dont clean my cars so thats not an issue...

Matt black is great if your lazy.... cover all multitude of sins!

Oh, 10 cans of matt black would do it..

Mad.

Edited by madspikes

dale205mills

If I took everybodies advice on what to do/not to do to my car i'm sure I'd have a pristine sorrento with a gti6 engine and sl434s

but seeing as I dont, and its a scruffy daily driver, I'll paint it whatever colour I feel like ;)

We all try and help each other out and it all go's wrong, scruffy driver or not, you mite as well pick a nice colour to paint it as there is not much difference in price for paint.

Cameron

..scruffy driver or not, you mite as well pick Miami Blue to paint it as there is not much difference in price for paint.

EFA :D

pugpete1108

ive just done the doors and arches on my graphite one as they were the matte ones from my old shell. they look ok given that its a rattle can mettallic paint which is a nightmare to apply.

when ive cut it back i'll get some photos up.

btw its only a short term measure before i have the whole car done.

johnnyboy666

We all try and help each other out and it all go's wrong, scruffy driver or not, you mite as well pick a nice colour to paint it as there is not much difference in price for paint.

I mightve come accross a little harsh there sorry, but it's all personal preference really. I can see where you're coming from if it was a nice condition gti, but its a faded GT which isn exactly pretty, I've never been one for immaculate paintwork, as it just makes me even more irritated when somebody scratches/dents it or a bird craps all over it. That and I'm not skilled enough to get a decent finnish with a gloss colour, so figured a flat colour will be more forgiving.

tdr_1976
@ tdr_1976 - Great job, you got some skill or its a special photo ;)

Haha! No special photos mate, just spent a lot of time prepping the car ready for paint :)

tdr_1976

P.S.

Painting with rattle cans is great, because if you hit the front wing, it'll cost you £3.49 for another coat of paint....... :lol:

SurGie

Spray painting is quite easy as long as you know how to avoid the pitfalls. Can painting can look good indeed, but takes more work flatting, than using a Kestrel type sprat gun which are very good quality.

HERE is a good place to learn the pitfalls etc.

Infrared heaters are a good kit to use to help dry the paint, does depend how big the garage is. I have sealed my garage door up at the edges and bottom with some foam/rubber and fitted foil coated thermal sheets on the back of the door. When the garage heats up it lasts and keeps the water and wind out very well.

I would never use newspapers for the wrapping protection, the ink has chemicals you dont want on the paint, especially if the panel being coveted will be painted. Use some proper brown wrapping.

steve@cornwall

£175 tops new!

Fine if you have £175.............. Thats twice what my respray cost!

dale205mills

I mightve come accross a little harsh there sorry, but it's all personal preference really. I can see where you're coming from if it was a nice condition gti, but its a faded GT which isn exactly pretty, I've never been one for immaculate paintwork, as it just makes me even more irritated when somebody scratches/dents it or a bird craps all over it. That and I'm not skilled enough to get a decent finnish with a gloss colour, so figured a flat colour will be more forgiving.

No problem. Make sure you post up some pictures when its done :)

harryskid

I had no such horrors with my Paints4U cans, the nozzles even spray in a fan. :D

Where do you buy that from !

Cameron

Where do you buy that from !

Was that a serious question? :lol:

If so google Paints 4 U. :P

Daviewonder

Cameron did you get my pm's?

pugpete1108

heres a couple of my pasenger door and arches done with cans:

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

the arches have been cut back and polished but i have yet to do the door, apart from the slightly off colour they look ok i think?