• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gaz832

Painting Your Own 205.

gaz832

any of u guys painted your own 205 diy style. was thinking of giving it a bash as i have a little generator and can get a shot of a compressor and guns and stuff.

erbs

if you got a nice warm garage to do it in then crack on, if not, wait till the warmer weather and you could do it outside

johnnyboy666

I have contemplated doing mine matt black, but then I'm not one of these people who is obsessed with a perfect finish. I think preparation is as important as the spraying itself. You could be the best sprayer in the world but if the surface your painting is naff then it's gonna come out sh!te. Mite be worth having a practice if youve got some spare panels, see how it comes out.

Cameron

if you got a nice warm garage to do it in then crack on, if not, wait till the warmer weather and you could do it outside

You sure can, if you like flies in your paint. :lol:

welshpug

matt black is sooo 2009 2nd division footballer....

tbh unless its a really crap car and its not going to last much longer I would leave it to the pros, though personally I'd do as much of the stripping off of parts myself, windscreen trim etc.

dale205mills

When I done the underside of my 205 the other year it was all done at home in my workshop ie all running gear painted, underside stone chipped and re sealed. I paint a few bits and bobs at home and no doubt I will paint my vw caddy but white is abit easyer to paint and its not a show car or pride and joy like a 205 would be.

It is all to do with the prep and if you have a workshop that is a windtunnel and damp dont bother as it will all go wrong unless you are a pro and no the little tricks.

I have got good friends ho are painters so I have got a little inside help if needed and have seem them paint cars in crap workshops and come out spot on with only needing light cut back and polish for bits if crap in the paint. It is nice to paint in a oven as that is what I done yesterday it was warm and dry and the bonnet was baked off, where if that was at home I would of had to leave it till the next day before I touched it and cut back and polish any crap that mite be in it.

One last thing agreeing with welshpug do NOT paint that 205 matt black as we are not owners of hot rods/rat rods :lol:

pugpete1108

if i had the right enviroment to do it (warm dry big garage) id do mine no worries.

as it stands i dont so it will be going off to someone else to do it, however i will be doind all the prep and strip myself to save on the pennies

ps i did the matte black and it looks good until you get it dirty then it looks cr*p forever :lol:

steve@cornwall

Click on red GTi link in sig below.....rattle cans on the drive FTW!DSC00188.jpg

Edited by steve@cornwall

Cameron

I'm painting mine with rattle cans too. :D Though I'll be doing mine in the garage in summer.. wouldn't advise doing it in the cold and damp of winter.

Google Paints4U, their rattle can paint is very good quality and comes with G3 compound. :)

Tom Fenton

Paint finish is all down to prep. Don't believe anyone who says you cannot get a good finish at home. I have painted a car in my garage that was a magazine front cover.

rallyeash

doing mine in the workshop...

050.jpg

001-6.jpg

006-3.jpg

all finished and back together

DSC03552.jpg

hired a road towed commercial compressor from a hire shop and we did it in the workshop/shed

johnnyboy666

One last thing agreeing with welshpug do NOT paint that 205 matt black as we are not owners of hot rods/rat rods :lol:

If I took everybodies advice on what to do/not to do to my car i'm sure I'd have a pristine sorrento with a gti6 engine and sl434s

but seeing as I dont, and its a scruffy daily driver, I'll paint it whatever colour I feel like ;)

Tom Fenton

If I took everybodies advice on what to do/not to do to my car i'm sure I'd have a pristine sorrento with a gti6 engine and sl434s

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

steve@cornwall

I'm painting mine with rattle cans too. :D Though I'll be doing mine in the garage in summer.. wouldn't advise doing it in the cold and damp of winter.

Google Paints4U, their rattle can paint is very good quality and comes with G3 compound. :)

Absolutely - don't want it to bloom and go all milky!!!! Thats the draw back - theres only a couple of dozen good outdoor painting days a year !

welshpug

Paint finish is all down to prep. Don't believe anyone who says you cannot get a good finish at home. I have painted a car in my garage that was a magazine front cover.

quite agree tom, though you aren't your average diyer are you :lol:

eLi_205

I've had enough of all the normal paintjobs and picked 10 matt black rattle cans :lol:

I have much more work to be done on it, but it will get better :wacko:

74n5cxxjl7i8c5oihu27.jpg

295801_2007579985599_1126663498_31804804_956058086_n.jpg

p.s. Yes, it is a 5 door ;)

Edited by eLi_205

brandon7

Painting is the good bit. 205s are one of he most awkward cars to strip down. Trim breaks, snaps and there is loads of it. You may need to buy new trim attatchment brackets/clips to refit it as they always rust away.

That said if it needs to be done go for it, but id wait untill the weather drys up a bit May/June it wont be nice doing it in a cold garage either. Paint likes warm environment,

eLi_205

Painting is the good bit. 205s are one of he most awkward cars to strip down. Trim breaks, snaps and there is loads of it. You may need to buy new trim attatchment brackets/clips to refit it as they always rust away.

That said if it needs to be done go for it, but id wait untill the weather drys up a bit May/June it wont be nice doing it in a cold garage either. Paint likes warm environment,

I actualy did it at summertime but I have only joined the forum few days ago, so I didn't had a chance to show my work, by the way the trims already had holes oin them and they're rare here (espacially for the 5 doors) so I screwd temporarily.

harryskid

You are best in a warm heated garage which should be dust free and no insects. Even on a mild day there could be moisture in the air which could spoil your paint !

tdr_1976

I painted my 205 with rattle cans in the Garage last year ....

190584_10150099783897861_509832860_6357578_7779372_n.jpg

319690_10150349129732861_509832860_8273175_45911478_n.jpg

Edited by tdr_1976

brandon7

@ Eli_205 - Just realsied your in israel so you dont really have winter! Haha. I have the part number for the trim clips if you ever want them

@ tdr_1976 - Great job, you got some skill or its a special photo ;)

gaz832

my garage is just big enough to walk round the car and paint it, i rattle canned one of my front wings in pug steel grey a think it was < got a nice finish, the car is total stripped now anyway, just deciding what colour to go. black is nice but shows alot of imperfections, wouldnt mind it a bright red tho. have to wait till better weather anyway.

IMG00325-20111120-1557.jpg

IMG00322-20111120-1523.jpg

IMG00321-20111120-1523.jpg

got myslef a new dual action orbital, so it will geta right good rub back before any paint goes near it, only bits i need to sort are in front of the rear wheels and some stone chips in the bonnet.

what grades of sandpaper should i use to get it completly flat . ie 80,120 then 240 .

Edited by gaz832

brandon7

my garage is just big enough to walk round the car and paint it, i rattle canned one of my front wings in pug steel grey a think it was < got a nice finish, the car is total stripped now anyway, just deciding what colour to go. black is nice but shows alot of imperfections, wouldnt mind it a bright red tho. have to wait till better weather anyway.

Yes the lighter the colour the more forgiving. Red looks great just after its done but will fade the worst over time. If your doing it full go for Hawaii Blue :)

cRaig

I havent painted my own 205, as it is too much of a show tart for me to want to mess it up :D

We have resprayed my Midget in a shed/large garage. We erected a large 8 man tent around the car :) A lot of time was spent prepping the car, cleaning the space, mopping the floor down to keep dust down. Sprayed with with 2k, using a small compressor and an air fed mask. Would recommend 2 small compressors, as the mask could have done with its own feed. Then LOTS of lacquer. Looks pretty damn good, considering it hasnt even been cut back yet :)

dscf2001sr.jpg

dscf2674a.jpg

dscf2673.jpg

dscf2967e.jpg

Edited by cRaig

gaz832

that red looks very nice, not really keen on the origional cherry red gti colour. ferrari red would be mega lol.