• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

New Oe-Spec Shocks

Ryan

I got MOT advisories last week for two leaking shocks (one front, one rear), so I'll be replacing them all in the next month or two. I'd like something OE-spec rather than an upgrade, as its a daily driver and I don't want to make it any stiffer.

Two brand that keep popping up are Sachs Boge and KYB. Are they any good? I've heard of KYB, but only know them for their uprated shocks and coilovers. The prices are around the same for both - about £40-50 each for the fronts, £25 each for the rears. They're both also listed as being specifically for the GTI, rather than some of the cheapo brands who list the same shock for all 205s.

Edited by Ryan

Anthony

The OE rears new from Peugeot aren't particularly expensive (or weren't last time I checked) although I think that the fronts are pretty pricey these days. Many people wanting a standard(ish) car tend to get new OE rears and Bilstein B4 fronts, which are designed as an OE replacement, and work well.

Other option is a lowish mileage set of shocks from a GTi-6 / VTS or similar.

Personally, I'm always very dubious of pattern dampers and GTi's I've bought with them on have always been pretty horrible, although I'll be honest in that I don't think any of them have been KYB and the Sachs/Boge dampers I certainly don't recall looking new so would perhaps be unfair to judge new ones on that basis.

feb

Not on a Gti but I had a brand new set of Boge in a 106 1.4XS years ago and I was very satisfied both in terms of handling and ride quality/damping.

A very nice car that you wear like a glove.

Boge make shocks for german OE manufacturers if I am not mistaken.

Edited by feb

Tom Fenton

Bilstein B4's and new OE Peugeot rears get my vote. I have fitted this combination to a few cars now, makes for a nice car to drive.

Ryan

Aren't the B4s uprated over the standard shocks? Same with the GTi-6? The suspension is stiff enough for me as it is, I don't want to make it any stiffer.

Genuine rears are £54 each now. They were £30-something a few years ago. :(

eddie bullit

Bilstein B4's and new OE Peugeot rears get my vote. I have fitted this combination to a few cars now, makes for a nice car to drive.

Regarding the rears Tom. Is that GTI6 rears or 205Gti?

Cheers

Edd

Anthony

Aren't the B4s uprated over the standard shocks? Same with the GTi-6? The suspension is stiff enough for me as it is, I don't want to make it any stiffer.

Genuine rears are £54 each now. They were £30-something a few years ago. :(

Not significantly - I think Bilstein claim 10% or so, but certainly they ride and drive very similar to OE in my experience.

Didn't know that the OE rears had gone up that much though - I thought they were still £35-40 a piece or so. I guess that it depends how tight money is, as I think that I'd still personally pay the extra for something that I could guarantee would be good and last well.

Ryan

What are the B4 rears like?

Anthony

What are the B4 rears like?

They used to be shockingly bad - almost to the point of being dangerously under-damped to be brutally honest

However, I believe that they have since revised the rear shocks and the new ones are meant to be much better, but I've not personally tried these revised ones.

johnnyboy666

I'm sure i remember reading somewhere that standard rears from pug had been replaced by the gti-6 item? or they had the same part no or something?

welshpug

1.9 were same part number, that part number has been superseded recently, 5206 TE, £45.60+vat each.

5202N1 / N2 are the front dampers, £207+vat each, same part number as the 309.

gti16 dampers are marked NPF but prices still come up,

5202C9 FT SHOCK-ABSORB 81.35 GBP

5202E1 FT SHOCK-ABSORB 84.31 GBP.

I'd see if they have any of those in stock :ph34r:

309 rears are NFP as well, 5206 L2 for std gti, 5206 L5 for the 16, £41 and £34 respectively.

Ryan

Servicebox lists two part numbers: 5206.K6, which are the originals I think, and 5206.TE which are listed as replacements. The originals are still available though (or at least still come up with a price). Both part numbers are also listed for the 306.

It also lists different part numbers for the 1.6 and 1.9. I always thought the GTIs all had the same suspension. :unsure:

Anthony

It also lists different part numbers for the 1.6 and 1.9. I always thought the GTIs all had the same suspension. :unsure:

Nope - 1.6 and 1.9 dampers were different from the factory :)

(quick identification method is that original 1.6 rears have a blue stripe, and 1.9 rears have a yellow stripe)

Tom Fenton

5206K6 cannot be got any more, you may find some stock n a shelf somewhere.

5206TE are easy to get hold of. These are what I have fitted a few times now.