• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daneldridge23

205 Rewiring

daneldridge23

right tonight i want to start tackling my wiring on the pug but i have know idea where to start, it has been chopped and changed over the years so i would like to take it right back to the fuse board and start a fresh.

its only the loom coming from the passengers side, i am getting an omex tb kit which comes with the ecu loom, so this is not an isue as of yet.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

dan

JoshGti

For a start don't take out all the wiring ecu side as some of it is for the dash gauges, unless your going for a custom dash. As a rule your pretty much going to need all the wires from the two brown plugs, the other side is just a matter of separating the loom up and replacing it in groups to tidy it up, I did this on mine and separated all the lighting to get good earths etc, well worth it if you've got the time to do it.

daneldridge23

all ive done so far is pull it all back through the fire wall, the ecu harness is still there but the lighting side is a mess what brown plus do you mean?

There is relays, amps little spade connectors every where its a right mess!

Cameron

Do you mean replace all the wiring in the loom?

I did this to my track car a few years ago and (short of using the wrong conduit) it worked very well! It's a massive job though, and will be made even more difficult if your looms are a bit dodgy. Your best bet will be to source new terminals for the connectors from Peugeot (still available) then replace the wires that way.

Have you done much wiring before? If not it's a very steep learning curve - or at least mine was! :lol:

daneldridge23

well i don't know if i need to replace them all but its in such a state, i don't know whats what, i haven't done any wiring on cars before no.

if i can get some advice on where to start i could slowly work it out, but i haven't got a clue whats what

Cameron

If it's a state you'd probably be best off replacing the loom for a donor one in better nick, rather than trying to replace wires etc. They money you'd spend on wire, terminals and a decent crimp tool would be way more than what you could get a decent loom for!

daneldridge23

this is true but would i still need to remove wires from it and it could possibly be labeled up to!

omega

try this

buy a haynes

but a test meter

check out the headlight wireing

start of at the headlight

follow the wires back

start small and see how you get on.

daneldridge23

thats my plan omega

Cameron

this is true but would i still need to remove wires from it and it could possibly be labeled up to!

You won't need to remove wires, unless you're planning on stripping the loom for a track car. The plugs will be identical so if you're unsure it'd be best to label up your old loom before you remove it, then match the plugs to the ones on the new loom and label them before fitting.

rallysteve

I would suggest you get a loom from a donor vehicle. The cost of buying enough terminals to redo the entire loom is ridiculous really. The section of loom that fits through the bulkhead grommet for the lighting unplugs from the fuseboard (as do all the other sections) so you could just replace individual sections if needed. If you are making it a track car I would suggest ditching all of the peugeot connectors where possible and starting from scratch with simple fusebox etc

Steve

daneldridge23

Hi steve it will be a standard 205 with an mi16 so i take it everything is the same on the loom as if it was an 8v

rallysteve

Hi steve it will be a standard 205 with an mi16 so i take it everything is the same on the loom as if it was an 8v

Yeah. there are seperate looms in the GTIs really, there is the one that exits through the left hand side of the bulkhead which is the bodyshell loom (lighting etc) then there is the engine loom which exits through the right hand side of the bulkhead. If you are going to aftermarket management this whole loom can be removed and just the brown multi-plug reused which allows connection of the engine loom to all of the sensors for the instruments/starter motor/reverse light switch and fuel pump. You will nodoubt be making up a new section for this to go with your new ecu.

Give me a shout if you need to know more.

Steve

markw

i got carried away with my "loom strip", on my track car, because we stripped out rear wiper, wash, central locking, heated screen etc,

then in the front i cut out all the radio loom, the complete door wiring looms etc for windows and central locking, then stripped out ,most

of the engine wiring, shortened and rerouted wires through the dash, (Peugeot had some funny ideas when routing wires through the dash),

varley battery in the boot, new starter cables, battery cut out switch, ignition switch and start button on the dash etc

i have a box about 12" cube, full of wires that i cut out. and most of the things i wanted to keep still worked too luckily,

now the worst bit, i must of spent 50hrs on the wiring alone, so if you do do it, just remember it is a big job

daneldridge23

this is one of my biggest concerns i get a couple of hours a week on the pug so you can see mw worry, maybe its best to find a good clean 2nd hand loom and use that my main trouble is lack of labeling up. my fault tho!! :blush: