• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ritchunt

1.9 Gti On Carbs What Coil

ritchunt

Can anyone confirm weither what i have done is correct, i have a spark but still appears to be running on three

Basicly i have used bit i have had lying around,

i am using the 1.9 gti dizzy, a coil and amp harness of a early gti and a squere coil and a 6 pin ampliphier, its sparking on all cylinders but somthing is not right it wont run propperly im thinking maybe im using the wrong coil or will this make no differnce any imput welcome

Thanks

TBC WEBER 45s

Ok there keep the standard ignition maybe put a diz of a 1.6. What fuel pump are you using may be to much fuel

Anthony

Doesn't really matter whether you use the earlier wing mounted wet coil or the later inlet mounted coil - they both work in the same way.

TBC WEBER 45s

Have you had it runing or have you just set it up.A good book to have speedpro series how to build & power tune weber & dellorto by des hammill

ritchunt

I can get it to tick over with the chokes on, but doesnt sound too clever its as if its on 3, but dies when i pull all of the plug leads of so it must be running on each im assuming, im thinking it just needs set up properly now that its been clarified that the ignition set up im using is ok, im just using the gti in tank pump regulated down to 3 psi

BlueBolt

Ok there keep the standard ignition maybe put a diz of a 1.6. What fuel pump are you using may be to much fuel

Doesn't the fuel pressure regulator decide how much fuel is getting through??

TBC WEBER 45s

Yes the 1.6 diz will help with a smaller advanced on the timing than the 1.9 diz.You are require high fuel volume not high pressure you want between 1.5 to 2.5 pounds per square inch if you are high you can be puting to much fuel and flooding the engine

luke1987

When I had the xu9 on twin 45s never used the advance or the choke used to start from cold first time question is what car were they on/are they jetted right good rolling road tune may/probably help wonders (or maybe just some high price leads and a huge plug gap may see you up 10 mph or 30 hp ;)

TBC WEBER 45s

When I had the xu9 on twin 45s never used the advance or the choke used to start from cold first time question is what car were they on/are they jetted right good rolling road tune may/probably help wonders***** (yes but befor spending a lots at a rolling road have a look at your choke size,idle jet size,main jets,emulsion tube,auxiliary venturi,accelerator pump jet & needle valve size but if these are ok take it to a rolling road not to some one how has to plug a lap top in to work out what is wrong)******(or maybe just some high price leads and a huge plug gap may see you up 10 mph or 30 hp ;)

this will not help you out

TBC WEBER 45s

When I had the xu9 on twin 45s never used the advance or the choke used to start from cold first time question is what car were they on/are they jetted right good rolling road tune may/probably help wonders***** (yes but befor spending a lots at a rolling road have a look at your choke size,idle jet size,main jets,emulsion tube,auxiliary venturi,accelerator pump jet & needle valve size but if these are ok take it to a rolling road not to some one how has to plug a lap top in to work out what is wrong)******(or maybe just some high price leads and a huge plug gap may see you up 10 mph or 30 hp ;)

this will not help you out the leads and huge plug gap

ritchunt

Thanks for the advice looks like its a trip to a rolling road, more money lol dont you just love the joys of carbs old school may be better but its expensive

TBC WEBER 45s

ok there as i was looking in the forums i think this ma be useful in misc/general technical page 2.Carb jet settings archive by wurzel :)

Hugh_

Thanks for the advice looks like its a trip to a rolling road, more money lol dont you just love the joys of carbs old school may be better but its expensive

I'm running dellorto 45s on the kit car and had a similar mare getting it running right. Have you got a carb balancer? The same number of turns on mine left them a long way out of balance. Des Hammil's book mentioned earlier is very helpful and has recommended venturi, jets, emulsions by engine size and expected power. If you're going to a rolling road make sure they stock consumables for your type of carbs as if they dont and they aren't right you're just throwing good money after bad.

Fuel pressure wise, where are you measuring your 3psi? 1.5-2.5psi is recommended at the furthest carb from the regulator. On the kit with the regulator about 800mm from the furthest carb I guessed at 3.5psi at the reg being enough, but at anything over about 65, or uphill etc. it would empty the fuel bowls in the carbs faster that it could fill them. This obviously wont affect your idle though, but one for later.

Sign in to follow this