• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolt

Braided Hose

BlueBolt

Not sure where to post this question up so thought i'd put in here...

I saw a post on here the other day with someone's build thread, in this he had used braided lines from the brake mc all the way through...

Am liking the idea of this, it did look very tidy, and I hate having to use copper piping as it never looks as neat and tidy as it should (in my mind).

Are there any problems with doing this?? I thinking about doing the same with the fuel lines but have a feeling that there are bigger negatives to this idea...

My gti is going to be of the road for quite a while now, as I need to save up a lot before I can continue with bits, but wanted to find a few buys I can do to it in the mean time so I don't forget how much I love (and love to hate) her...??

There are many things on the small jobs list, but this is amongst them if there's not anything I'm missing that would make it a poor idea???

welshpug

Problems would be the cost, not so much the hose itself but the fittings required add up.

BlueBolt

Problems would be the cost, not so much the hose itself but the fittings required add up.

I've seen hose at reasonable prices, surely if I'm to replace the lines anyway then i'd need to be buying the fixings too, which should in theory not cost more or less than usual???

Or would I need different fixings to fit into the braided hoses??

As for the fuel lines, I know they go from flexible pipe to solid an back again under the car, so surely if I replace it to one length of pipe without the solid section I would need less fixings??

Edited by BlueBolt

Tom Fenton

Do not underestimate the cost to fit out a car in braided. The fittings are totally different and roughly £5 EACH as opposed to the flare nuts for copper which are 20p each.

You need a better reason than just "looks" to make it worth doing in my opinion, due to how much it will cost.

BlueBolt

roughly £5 EACH as opposed to the flare nuts for copper which are 20p each.

Really???

Hmmm... That'll be why it's not something I've seen done loads before then lol

Still likin the idea though lol

Tom Fenton

No I just made that up. :rolleyes:

Yes really.

Tom Fenton

Check out this page as an example.

CLICK

Edited by Tom Fenton

BlueBolt

No I just made that up. :rolleyes:

Yes really.

Thought as much lol

That's quite a bit of money for that lot!!

I'll have to price it up, mostly for my own amusement...

Tom Fenton

Off the top of my head, here is a list

10x1 to -3 male-male nipple, 8 off

12x1 to -3 male-male nipple, 2 off (for 1.9 type compensators, check thread).

Swivel 90 deg -3 elbow 2 off

Staight 10mm to -3 banjo 2 off

Banjo bolt 10 x 1 2 off

Copper washers as reqd

Straight swivel -3, 8 off

BlueBolt

Is that for both fuel and brakes??

welshpug

Powers on here runs www.torques.co.uk

I priced up enough to plumb the fuel system on my brothers Saxo and came to around £200.

Unless its a gravel or road rally car then standard lines underneath with the usual braided flexi's will suffice, even copper lines inside will work just fine and keep the costs down significantly.

Braided line often never looks as tidy as the original steel lines, time practice and patience and you'll get the copper replacements looking just as good, use copper nickel if you want as its much stiffer and harder to bend up but stays put easier, costs twice as much as normal copper.

BlueBolt

£200?? Hmm... Ouchy's lol

Is copper nickel an option for the brake lines too??

AlexN

You can buy the braided hose fittings cheaper if you are willing to buy second hand. This isn't really a problem as all the fittings are reusable, but they may not be cosmetically perfect if that is what matters to you!

I bought the hose from torques.co.uk and the fittings from a mate who was stripping his old race car and Ebay. I definitely paid less than £200 for a full set of -8 connections for my fuel system and most of the -3 connectors for the brakes/clutch.

BlueBolt

That's a little more reassuring...

jackherer

It cost my mate about £250 for the hose and fittings I used to do his brake system.

Ryan

Rally Design has the fittings for £4-5 each and hose at ~£5 per meter.

Miles

If running inside then you need Bulkhead fittings as well, I rarely use Braded thou-out unless spec'd by the customer. Or under the car all new clips

allye

Braided for show, copper for pro B)

Seriously though on a normal road car i would say its a complete waste of money and as said very expensive. Absolutly nothing wrong with copper and braided flexi hoses in each corner, you can make copper look just as good as original with some time and patience.

JoshGti

It's the lines to the rear that put the price up as you would have to make up a hose for either side of the compensator. Copper hoses aren't that hard to make look neat but I get what's being said. Instead of the hassle I've run braided from MC to front calipers and then a single copper line to the rear and used a "T" piece to run braided around the rear beam, only cost around £130 doing it this way which is including stainless fittings, not bad considering a Goodridge braided setup is about £60.

BlueBolt

That's still quite deer, but I see why you've gone this route rather than complete braided...

SimonJ

Didn't jonmurgie do this years ago, put up pics and discuss the cost? Don't remember the figure but remember being shocked.

Cameron

It's the lines to the rear that put the price up as you would have to make up a hose for either side of the compensator. Copper hoses aren't that hard to make look neat but I get what's being said. Instead of the hassle I've run braided from MC to front calipers and then a single copper line to the rear and used a "T" piece to run braided around the rear beam, only cost around £130 doing it this way which is including stainless fittings, not bad considering a Goodridge braided setup is about £60.

Handily I keep all my reciepts so can tell you exactly how much this setup will cost! :D

I did a single line to the rear brakes, through a lever-style bias valve, to a T-piece that split the rear brakes. It cost me £200 for all the bits I needed - valve, fluid, hose, fittings.

Fuel lines are much more expensive, a brake line fitting costs £4.50 sans VAT whereas a fuel line fitting is coming on for £20! Likewise the fuel hose is about 4 times the price of brake hose.

BlueBolt

Ok, so... Nice idea, which I think I'll shelf and keep for a distant time :) lol

harryskid

My back brakes are done like that and that part of it was done at a resonable price, a lot less then others have said !

BlueBolt

My back brakes are done like that and that part of it was done at a resonable price, a lot less then others have said !

What kinda cost did yours come to??