• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Trim Restoration

chipstick

The only reason I keep putting off buying a bottle of the stuff is because my arches have a 'sheen' to them where the texture has 'worn' off presumably through car washing or what have you. I fear the plasticare wouldn't absorb into this area and therfore the whole arm trim would look crap as it was 98% plasticared with a light grey/white sheen on the leading edge.

I can't be the only one with that problem, so would be interested to hear if anyone with similar managed to plasticare 'over' it well. Might be easier if I got a pic of what I meant :lol:

GLPoomobile

So if it worked well on mine i cant see the problem with me interjecting the product on to the correct thread

Absolutely. If it works well then no harm in suggesting it. My point was that most suggestions rarely come close to PLasticare. But you get your product for free, whereas for the rest of us, I'm pretty sure it's more expensive than Plasticare at £19 on eBay (no idea what Plasticare is now, but I paid a tenner a few years ago).

has anyone used the black plasticare on grey trim? would it work?

It works as designed on the very worst faded trim, so yes, it should recolour grey trim to black. There's examples on the forum of people using the grey Plasticare to restore faded grey trim, so it stands to reason that black will work just as well.

I can't be the only one with that problem, so would be interested to hear if anyone with similar managed to plasticare 'over' it well. Might be easier if I got a pic of what I meant :lol:

I can confirm it works. Providing it's the original plastic it'll absorb fine (most side/arch trim will be original, whereas there's more chance that a bumper could be a pattern part and a different material). I attacked my trim with scotch pads to try and remove the flaking old paint, and inevitably smoothed some sections too much. It dyed fine, but it doesn't mask the fact that the texture is removed, so you do end up with a slightly shinier section. Incidently, it was impossible for me to remove all the old paint from mine, but the Plasticare still went on over the top just fine.

dcc

I just forked out on the £19 for that shoe shine sh*te, fair play plasticare might be useful, but, i have 3 cars which I need to do, and that shoe shine is at 400ml not 120ml like plasticare. you get 3x the ammount for 2x the price. If people want to wait around and see the results I get before they chose to use it then fair enough :)

speno

This is where we get it from My link just under £7 a can , some one is robbing folk on ebay just for a change

Oh hats off to GLPoomobile for using Clarence Boddicker as profile pic , well give the man a hand :)

Edited by speno

205gticoxn

I know this has been covered but cany find it, whats the name of the stuff to restore bumpers and external trim back to black from a dull grey? Plasticol? Or something?

I brought some Back to Black off the internet for 11.99............

Looks just like one of those sponge on liquid boot polishes.......

Applied it to the very faded external trim on my 1988 phase 1.5.......

Saved myself 200 quid or so on replacement trim......worked a treat........the trim looked brand new.......

Baz

For about 5mins? :P

Worth mentionning that Plasticare also works wonders on interior bits too!

I've never done what i'd call a seriously proper job tbh, but been round all the exterior trims including window rubbers & had 2/3 205's worth from a single bottle of it too, you can use it quite sparingly.

If there's enough interest i'd consider doing another group buy, i could do with some more! :)

Weser

I am up for some more. I had a nasty experience with my bottle of black.... When I recieved it from the first group buy I could wait to test it out so after work I tried it on a bit of trim at the kitchen table. The mrs came back and was less impressed at what I was doing I said I would pack it in. As I lifted the trim off the table I knocked the bottle and emptied the entire contents of the bottle on the table - as you can imaging this didnt go down well. We now have a fruit bowl covering up a black stain on our table cloth :rolleyes: The best thisng to get it off with if you do spill it is fairy liquid as it is oil based!

GLPoomobile

Oh hats off to GLPoomobile for using Clarence Boddicker as profile pic , well give the man a hand :)

Forgot I still had that! Really must get around to changing it.

"See, cops don't like me, so I don't like cops. Ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne"

SurGie

The way i see it is, if your plastic trim has a good colouring why spent money when you can borrow some of the GF's baby oil to bring out the luster, however if the colour is bad then buy some plasticare.

I did read something about the grey bumpers having trouble with plasticare though :unsure: