• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Trim Restoration

dave205

I know this has been covered but cany find it, whats the name of the stuff to restore bumpers and external trim back to black from a dull grey? Plasticol? Or something?

miamibungers

Cherry Blossom shoe polish (the one with the sponge applicator). Works wonders, repels the water, stays on for ages and if you give it a little buff (as you would with your shoes) wont smudge off!

feb

Do you mask the paintwork around the platic trim when aplpying it or does it ot stain as long as you clean it quickly?

dave205

Plasticare ftw!

I'll order me some of that!!

speno

Ok i work in the shoe trade , i always use this stuff , its mint ive done a fair few kits now and it never fades

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-MAGIX-Leather-Vinyl-Color-Shoe-Spray-BLACK-400ml-/160664560775?pt=UK_Clothing_ShoeCare_Shoe_Care_LE&hash=item25685aa487

i said i would never tell anyone as well :wacko:

you can get it cheaper than that as well

also if ya removing the kit , i use dexion racking nuts and bolts to attacth back on the front and rear trims

Edited by speno

omega

Ok i work in the shoe trade , i always use this stuff , its mint ive done a fair few kits now and it never fades

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-MAGIX-Leather-Vinyl-Color-Shoe-Spray-BLACK-400ml-/160664560775?pt=UK_Clothing_ShoeCare_Shoe_Care_LE&hash=item25685aa487

i said i would never tell anyone as well :wacko:

you can get it cheaper than that as well

also if ya removing the kit , i use dexion racking nuts and bolts to attacth back on the front and rear trims

cheaper option

its 2 words

can be found on any high streeet

even in pound shops

want to know?

okay

baby oil

Leon

Baby oil will restore the sheen on plastic that has not lost too much colour, but as anyone who's seen a mid-90s Corsa will tell you, sometimes the plastic fades to a grey/white shade. No amount of baby oil or gel type product will restore that - the plastic needs to be painted or dyed. Simoniz Black Trim Wax can work on trim that hasn't gone too far but it's horrible to apply.

Eliganza

Plasticare was the nuts on mine.

MiniGibbo

Some good tips in this thread, the plastic on the rallye is terrible, its almost white where its such a light shade of gray :blink:

GLPoomobile

Every time a Plasticare topic is started, it is inundated with replies from people offering alternative suggestions.

Here's a tip - buy some plasticare, and forget about any other suggestion anyone ever gives you again.

Daviewonder

Yeah those with other suggestions have never used Plasticare ;)

Andy_C

Flame suit on :lol: gtechniq C4 is unbeatable. 2 Pugs has it on his and it was still looking factory and repelling water a year after initial application. Trim needs deep, deep cleaning before you use but well worth it.

As a comparison, the plastic trim on my last Saab was still beading reasonably well at 112,000 miles after first application :o

speno

cheaper option

its 2 words

can be found on any high streeet

even in pound shops

want to know?

okay

baby oil

Why not just suggest that , instead of quoting me or are you on some kind of cloud high in the sky

forums you got to love em ;o)

speno

Yeah those with other suggestions have never used Plasticare ;)

Nope never used it , might give it a try, but the like wise for you with other folks suggestions ;o)

On another note..

i find taking the trim off you can really clean behind it and esp where the top of trim sits on the bodywork

good also to check for rust starting to come thro too and treat before its too late

Baz

:lol:

Plasticare is a dye, not a dressing, therefore it actually adds pigmentation(colour) back to faded plastics.

Andy_C

And the aforementioned gtechniq product also dyes faded trim - although to be fair I've never used it on properly knackered bleached out plastic before.

I painted my sunroof trims satin black - they were off anyway, I had some plastic primer and paint already so it made sense to my illogical brain. They look fine to me too but I wouldn't personally attempt this on any trim while still on the car!!

GLPoomobile

Nope never used it , might give it a try, but the like wise for you with other folks suggestions ;o)

Speno, with all due respect, this topic has been done to death over many years, and when Plasticare came along, it was like the Holy GRail of trim treatments. I'm not saying that nobody should try other treatments, but at the end of the day, Plasticare is a dye (as Baz said) that is pretty much permanent, it'll work on severely bleached out plastics, it's relatively cheap, and a little goes a long way. As far as I'm concerned, it's the one-stop solution to trim refurbishment on a 205, and most other suggestions are either very temporary, or have side effects (such as peeling off, in the case of painting).

The only single negative I can say for Plasticare, is that it won't apply well on some plastics. Namely aftermarket bumpers that are made of a different material to the OE ones. But if all your trim is OE Peugeot, then it absorbs the dye nicely.

Baz

I must say, I was massively sceptical of Plasticare until a friend actually showed me it in action and then i saw the results and how well it lasted for myself! It loses some 'sheen' yes as usual, but over a much longer time than most and more impressively the colour remains very well, it's unlike anything i've ever tried and i used to work in 'detailing'.

maturin23

Every time a Plasticare topic is started, it is inundated with replies from people offering alternative suggestions.

Here's a tip - buy some plasticare, and forget about any other suggestion anyone ever gives you again.

What GLPoo and Baz said.

No point in trying anything else when this stuff works so well. I've used most types of bumper black/snot, engine oil - but only Plasticare seems to have any staying power after a wash or two.

It's not cheap for the size of the bottle, but I managed to give all the trim including front and back bumpers two coats with half the bottle still left.

It's important to get the plastic cleaned up first, I found, but it goes on easy and looks great

speno

Yeah i understand that with most forums on any subject matter , there is a line between how many threads can be started before its reworded by a new thread on the same subject and the snowball can only get bigger ;o)

esp when the forum gets a fair few years old

i know its just die and by the sounds of it does a cracking job :o) but like i said before sometimes its worth taking the kit off , to see what's lurks beneath the kit and for the ease to clean the kit good and proper so to speak , when i took my kit off i found a rust patch behind the rear quarter ( no accident damage ) so i treated this before it was too late and started to creep up to the top of the kit where it would have been visible

Whilst the kit was off i gave the red strips a lick of paint too , which lifted the kit more

I did my friends 2 years ago and its still looks spot bollock !as is mine , but working in my trade i get the spray for nothing :o)

I did his grey leather to make it black , worked a treat too :o)

Also if anyone lives near me i dont mind giving them a hand doing this

So if it worked well on mine i cant see the problem with me interjecting the product on to the correct thread

ross009

has anyone used the black plasticare on grey trim? would it work?