• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Decent Replacement Standard Exhaust System

Anthony

It always used to be a case that the best standard exhaust systems for a 205 GTi were Ecia (original OE), Arvin, and Bosal - in that order.

From what I can work out these days, Ecia are no longer available, and Arvin I believe are no longer supplying the decent quality systems that they used to but instead are supplying rebadged Euroflo systems - unless anyone knows differently or knows of a source for the original systems?

Bosal I believe are still supplying good quality systems and seem to be fairly easy to get hold of.

Other than Bosal, is there any other suppliers of a decent standard 2-piece exhaust system that people can recommend? Timax? Walker?

I'm not too fussed about it having the full length split on the downpipe as it will be getting chopped for a GTi-6 (which doesn't need/benefit from the split) but it does really need to be the larger bore size from the original 2-piece system and a half sensible silencer design so that it isn't overly restrictive - and unfortunately I know that some pattern systems fail dismally on those two points...

marksorrento205

I thought the Walker systems were supposed to be good?

Miles

I've yet to fine any now with the split in the middle, Ideal for 6 engine's but not 8v's

welshpug

ECIA is Peugeot subsidiary originally, so if a dealer can get an exhaust for a 205..

According to wiki, one in five cars worldwide will have an exhaust made by them and its not limited to PSA.

Arvin is a Timax brand nowadays, Meritor rebranded at the beginning of this year.

walker are the slightly cheaper end quality wise in my experience, though nowhere near Euroflow thankfully, not experienced them on a 205 though.

buypartsby do timax, ECP do walker.

By the look of the servicebox listings the Phase 2 rear silenced is NFP for the full house XU9JA, though the 9J1 and AZ is, worth checking if there is stock anywhere, about £80.

the centre section/downpipe is not marked NFP, but is £255 :blink:

maybe try neat auto's, they often have proper o.e bits.

matt.f

Got a Walker on mine and it's very good quality compared with a lot I see at work.

Edited by matt.f

timstemi16

Hi

Apparently timax took over Arvin. But now Arvin have been taken over by a make called klarius or klarion. Still not sure about the bore siZe though. I need one for the same reason as you.

Hope that helps

chipstick

I've got a Bosal you can have cheap Anthony and i'm not too far away.

Rob_the_Sparky

I believe Anthony is after properly made pipes, that is made with two D section pipes welded back to back for the first section of the downpipe. Most after market systems simply use a single round pipe for this section. This split is supposed to aid power as it makes the OE system a 4-2-1 rather than a 4-1 that you get with a cheap after market part.

SurGie

I believe Anthony is after properly made pipes, that is made with two D section pipes welded back to back for the first section of the downpipe. Most after market systems simply use a single round pipe for this section. This split is supposed to aid power as it makes the OE system a 4-2-1 rather than a 4-1 that you get with a cheap after market part.

Is that to stop the exhaust smoke going back into the engine, causing loss of power ?

Doesn't Miles sell the 6/VTS down-pipe being the 2 ?

Anthony

Thanks for the input / suggestions :)

I've got a Bosal you can have cheap Anthony and i'm not too far away.

What sort of condition is it in and what sort of price are you looking for?

I've got an Arvin and Bosal system already, but both are pretty tired and probably not worth the time/effort to modify to mate up with the GTi-6 for the year or two they'd last, and given a new one isn't a huge amount of money I was looking at that route.

If yours is in good nick though, I might be interested.

Actually Rob, in this instance I'm not too fussed about that as it'll be going on a GTi-6 engine which doesn't benefit from the split and is 4-1 as standard. I'm more interested in one with the correct larger bore and a silencer that flows properly instead of strangling performance.

If it was an 8v then yes I would prefer the full length split for the reasons you give.

PS. Not heard from you in ages - hope things are good with you!

Is that to stop the exhaust smoke going back into the engine, causing loss of power ?

Doesn't Miles sell the 6/VTS down-pipe being the 2 ?

As Rob says, that split is there to effectively make the manifold a 4-2-1 system as originally designed by Peugeot - it's cheaper and easier to make without though and the difference isn't particularly big/noticeable, so most companies don't

chipstick

It's in good nick actually. There is still remnants of a sticker on the backbox.

There is a thread for it on here somewhere.

So your going down the GTi6 route then!

Edited by chipstick

welshpug

I'd be tempted to add some metal inside the collector on the manifold and bolt it to the proper spec original pipe and see what happens, nice long secondaries :)

Vatanen

I spent some time looking for a down pipe with full length split, and I ended up returning both Bosal and Walker: no split. Don't know if anyone here in the UK knows what USN is (available in the Netherlands) but these don't have the split either. Quality-wise they looked the same and over the length of the down-pipes the diameter decreased properly.

Maybe someone knows which brand supplies the split ones? I'm sure the dealer has them but high prices put me off.

Edited by Vatanen

JoshGti

I was looking through some catalogues last week as We just had a load more delivered from fps and they stock klarius exhausts, the picture in the catalogue shows a larger top section before it goes into the smaller bore, may be worth popping into an a1 motor stores and get them to phone up and find a part number?

pug_ham

I ordered an Arvin earlier this year & they got me a Klarius & it didn't have the correct downpipe split so I rejected it & started looking for a walker system as the used one I had previously had the correct downpipe design but I've yet to find somewhere locally that stocks them or who will confirm it has the full length split before I'm willing to pay for delivery etc.

g

welshpug

last exhaust I got from ECP was a walker, but as you say it'd be difficult to get them to confirm the brand and spec before getting it to the branch unless you happen on someone feeling helpful.

pug_ham

Apparently haddock can get them but he never goes through with it when I've asked several times...

Just stops replying to pm's etc.

g

marksorrento205

Apparently haddock can get them but he never goes through with it when I've asked several times...

Just stops replying to pm's etc.

g

G,

I looked before and the almost new system I have in the garage is a Walker system. It looks to have the full split as it should. Next time I have the camera out there I will get a pic for you. I will also give haddock a slap next time I see him about them. I dont need the one I needed now as the guy has sold his car.

feb

Are the exhaust systems common between 1.6's and 1.9's?

I can try to find out from the local dealer with my chassis number otherwise can someone PM me their 1.9 VIN?

So far every time I go to enquire about a part in the Peugeot dealer and since I tell them I have no chassis number they have directed me to another supplier that sells OE parts so I hope they do the same about the exhaust, otherwise I could always check with them anyway.

I think the guy at the Peugeot parts desk takes pity on me driving such an old car :D which is good, e.g. I was quoted 70 odd euros for a set of rear pads from Peugeot but they suggested I try a GSF equivalent shop where I bought them for 30€.

Edited by feb

feb

Far from cheap :ph34r: as one would need the middle section too but for the sake of tracking what is available, the first one is a 4-2-1.

Cheaper to get one from peugeot though!

https://www.powersprintPeu/index.php?force_sid=&cl=search&searchparam=peugeot+205&searchcnid=

Hopefully the 2nd part should have a split otherwise it makes it a 4-1.

Edited by feb

feb

It seems what is available in Germany is what you guys have already reported but there is also one called IMASAF.

The strange thing is that these seem to be 3-piece systems despite choosing a phase II car.

3-piece systems:

Downpipes: http://www.auspuff.com/shop/hersteller_neu.php?g=rohre

Middle sections: http://www.auspuff.com/shop/hersteller_neu.php?g=msd

2-piece ones:

Walker: http://www.auspuff.com/shop/schalldaempfer.php?m=013&g=msd

Bosal: does seem to have the split if you enlarge the picture: http://www.auspuff.com/shop/schalldaempfer.php?m=041&g=vsd

Klarius: http://www.auspuff.com/shop/schalldaempfer.php?m=445&g=vsd

The Bosal being cheaper here (select 205 II, 20A/C, 1.9 Gti 10/1987-9/1998, 94 KW): http://www.neue.autoteile-info.de/auspuff.php

Backboxes: Imasaf, Ferroz, Klarius, Walker, Bosal

http://www.auspuff.com/shop/hersteller_neu.php?g=esd

Edited by feb

welshpug

yep the 1.6 used the same exhaust as the xu9ja.

Anthony

Remember that many (most?) Euro spec GTi's had a CAT, which would be a 3 peice system.

The backbox has the same fitment but a different part number, the rest of the system is incompatible,

chipstick

Still got this good condition Bosal here with remnants of the sticker left on it...

Sign in to follow this