• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lahondal

205 Turbo 8V Questions...

whizzer71

We run this one with 1.9 Gti 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and Mi5th with 3.59 Fd from 309 diesel, its still very aggressive and despite there being a monumental gap between 4th and 5th and the revs dropping dramaticly the torque pulls it no problems at all !, it has an lsd but still suffers with wheelspin on dry tarmac in 3rd and in the wet 4th as well, are currently looking at fitting a 3.44 fd to try and calm things down, I seriously wouldnt recommend using 4.44 fd from an Mi youll just waste all that torque and loose it in stupid wheelspin, try 3.99 from 406 2.0ltr petrol saloon ??, Normally find you get the best from these torquey lumps by loading them up and not letting them rev freely bearing in mind theyll run out of puff around 6k, We are currently building one to the same spec but with nitrous and aiming for around 350 bhp and 380 - 400 lbs torque

;)

Edited by whizzer71

Henry Yorke

It will be a tarmac rally car but I dont want to have wheelspin on all corners, the car is pretended no do no more than 190kmh, because in rally acceleration its far more important, as you know.

With a turbo that big, aren't you just running the risk of a boat load of lag before it spools up and therefore the net result will be slower point to point if there are some sharp corners. A turbo like that would be better suited to a track car.

lahondal

Yes, all you saying its true.

Anyway...because the turbo is a T3 flange, I can try with the TD05, and if it is too large for the XU10J2TE, I can change it for a good T28 or similar. I prefer 210hp on the floor, than 260hp on air...

But, I have a question, Sebastien Dommerdich its a french pilot who have a 220bhp maxi 205, and it dont have wheelspin, i know the torque of a NA engine its lower but 220bhp are 220bhp, at 5000 or 7500 RPM, isn´t it?

And with a really good suspension/LSD/tyres setup, I should transmit more power to the ground, transmiting the maximun amount of bhp to the groud its the goal....so...if he can have 220bhp, why other 205s not?

This car is :wub: , and Sebastien have a good pair of balls...see how he pass the chicanes....its insane....

Well, that´s my goal...

whizzer71

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the Maxi 4 wheel drive ?

:blush:

welshpug

nope, only the most recent S2000 rally cars are.

wicked

Yes, all you saying its true.

Anyway...because the turbo is a T3 flange, I can try with the TD05, and if it is too large for the XU10J2TE, I can change it for a good T28 or similar. I prefer 210hp on the floor, than 260hp on air...

A T28 has a T25 flange, so that won't fit. You can always step back to a T3 or or TD04 of a Volvo; they also have T3 flanges.

If you aim at 210bhp, your TD05 is way too big; it intended for 300bhp+ applications...

220 bhp kicking in hard on low revs (=high torque peak) generates wheelspin much easier than in the high revs.

Given that you have slicks and lsd, I would not stick to 210bhp, but limit the pressure/torque in the range where it kicks in...

If you look at Mark's graph, I would limit the boost at 17 (psi?? don't know the unit in the graph) between 3000-5000 rpm. That will keep your torque down the 250 mark, but maintain the high end power. With a flat or slowly increasing torque curve (like NA), it's easier to control wheel spin and puts less stress on your drivetrain.

lahondal

So maybe a electronic boost controller is a must in this configuration...

I have a little question....with an electronic boost controller, its harder to mapping the ECU (Megasquirt)? I wasnt thinking on fit it, so I had not thought of.

Im starting to scare me...haha...

wicked

I think Megasquirt can do the boost control for you...

Sign in to follow this