• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wicked

Cam Belt Tension Measurement Tools

wicked

Does anyone have experience with the Gates Sonic Tension Meter?

507C

Next question; what should the resonance frequency be for 1.9 Mi16 engines?

wicked

No one ever used tools that measure the resonance frequency to check the tension??

I've read on the net that you can do it as well with guitar tuner (app on your phone)...

Edited by wicked

welshpug

nope, never used anything other than fingers to set and check belt tension, neither has a mate who's been a mechanic for 20 years.

Redtop

No one ever used tools that measure the resonance frequency to check the tension??

I've read on the net that you can do it as well with guitar tuner (app on your phone)...

Have one in the garage, a seem tool. Used it couple of times and that was it. I go by fingers now and never had a problem yet. If it seems ok then it probably is.

allye

Great bit of kit, if you fit a gates timeing belt using that tool then the belt fails before it due to be re-newed gates will pay for a new engine/or repairs :)

SurGie

Why pay for that tool when a mobile mechanic can tension it with their tool for 30 or so quid, then you know its tension is correct. I never trust it by eye not worth the risk even if someones done it that way for years, in years to come it may let go or snap etc. A tension tool is precise and doing it by eye/feel is not.

Redtop

Why pay for that tool when a mobile mechanic can tension it with their tool for 30 or so quid, then you know its tension is correct. I never trust it by eye not worth the risk even if someones done it that way for years, in years to come it may let go or snap etc. A tension tool is precise and doing it by eye/feel is not.

In that case then 90% or more cars in the uk with timing belts must be ticking time bombs, because of all the mechanics I know in the trade and in my own 4 places, they never use a seem tool :) .

• Like 1

wicked

A seem tool works different!! That applies force to the belt and measures the result.

The newer tools like Gates Sonic Tension Meter work with a microphone and measure the resonance frequency (which is tension dependant).

I've read that guitar tuning apps on your smartphone measure with the same accuracy as the prof. tools, but with complete different price tag ;-)

Normally I do check the belt by twisting them by hand, but if I can be little more confident with a cheap app, it's worth trying and comparing the results. (I'm not already working a decade as a mechanic but sitting all day behind pc screens...)

I'm spending also bit more bucks on my new engine and it has to suffer from more abuse accordingly...

pug_ham

I use the fingers method, if I can't twist the belt to 90' on the longest free run its tight enough & I've yet to have one fail.

When Peugeot started fitted the eccentric tensioners, event he people I know that worked for Pug or Citroen said they never used the seem C-tronic tensioning tool prefering the finger method.

My hdi belt was replaced just after I bought the car & that was also tensioned by hend & not the tool. Three years driving & MOT's later & its still fine.

g

Sign in to follow this