• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sinbad

1989 1.6 Gti

Sinbad

Bought my 1st 205 gti in july,im from the Vauxhall world after mostly owning Nova's.

Once had a 309Gti 5 door back in 2004,was a fun car so im hoping the 205 will be just as good!

Anyway i bought it knowing it needed a bottom end/engine as the previous owner bought it like that but never did anything with it.

Heres a pic of when i got it home and a quick rinsewash to see what the bodywork was like (you always find more when washing!)

andygti013.jpg

andygti011.jpg

andygti010.jpg

A few weeks later i hired a rug doctor for the house but used it to do the 205's carpets and seats.

Heres a few pics prior to cleaning....

andygti012-1.jpg

andygti007.jpg

andygti014-1.jpg

Heres the muck out of it all!!.......

andygti015.jpg

But was worth it!!

andygti016.jpg

andygti019.jpg

andygti020.jpg

Sinbad

Then i got it into my garage to set about pulling the engine out,i have no engine hoist and no help round here if im honest,so everything was done with a trolley jack :rolleyes:

The apparent damage...

andygti003.jpg

andygti004.jpg

andygti008-1.jpg

andygti010-2.jpg

And out-my little girl showing me where it needs to go back should i forget lol

andygti011-2.jpg

andygti020-1.jpg

Now out the damage was clear to see,albeit very strange as there was bits missing from all over,the rod and piston had disappeared!!! Very strange!

andygti013-2.jpg

andygti014-2.jpg

joel2005

Just hire an engine crane from your local hire shop, there cheap enough and it,ll make it a hell of a lot easier to put the lump back in.

Sinbad

So next was to check the head-well that was destroyed aswell so basically the engine is scrap :rolleyes:

andygti017-1.jpg

andygti019-1.jpg

The following week i won an engine onm ebay for a bargain £30!!! It had blown its head gasket so stripped it to inspect and please to report it looks good and as the seller said.

andygti004-1.jpg

Somebody has snapped a head bolt so have put a stud in which is ridiculously thick and the nut was hand tight :rolleyes: ,so im going to remove it and the snapped stud (still stuck) and get it out and helicoil if need be..

andygti003-1.jpg

Took the crank out and down to the engine builders yesterday to be measured-pleased to report its in very good condition and still standard size,so just got polished for me.They were also kind enough to crack the crank bolt off for me as i dont have an impact gun.

andygti007-1.jpg

andygti005.jpg

So today i started to inspect and clean the oil pump-again all is well apart form some very very light marks on the relief valve.A 306 Gti6 spring and valve is ordered for me to pick up from Peugeot on Friday

andygti008-2.jpg

andygti009-2.jpg

andygti012-2.jpg

andygti013-3.jpg

Edited by Sinbad

Sinbad

andygti014-3.jpg

andygti010-3.jpg

andygti011-3.jpg

Thats up to date,more to come as and when time and finances allow!

Feel free to leave any advice/comments.

Cheers,Andy.

Edited by Sinbad

Sinbad

Just hire an engine crane from your local hire shop, there cheap enough and it,ll make it a hell of a lot easier to put the lump back in.

Ive got a friend with one but was unable to get it for a few days as hes 35miles away.So will definately use one then!

cybernck

Any updates?

Sinbad

I have been cracking on with this since the last update,just havent had time to update the thread.

Anyway,i scrapped the block with the marine bolt in it (
lol.gif
) and bought another bottom end off a member on 205gti drivers forum which was in Harrogate.

This block was 1000x better than that other one.So stripped it down and painted it red and the sump black because im a bummer like that.

andygti014-4.jpg

andygti015-1.jpg

While doing this i ordered my main and big end bearings from the engineers,also got the piston rings aswell while i was there.Plastigauge came from ebay to measure the tolerances.

andygti016-1.jpg

Stripped and degreased all the engine bay,what soul destroying monotony that is!!!!

andygti005-1.jpg

andygti007-2.jpg

andygti008-3.jpg

andygti001-1.jpg

Sinbad

Found a couple of rocks what looked to be of crack wrapped in a skin behind the headlight LOL

Destroyed by blowtorch anyroad...

andygti004-3.jpg

Repaired the only bit of rot at the front end,there is some rust which i have ground back and treated also.

And masked up the wings/rest of the car....

andygti007-3.jpg

andygti009-4.jpg

andygti010-5.jpg

andygti011-4.jpg

andygti012-3.jpg

Then...the best bit for me was these arriving today!!!

Bought as part of a groupbuy on 205gtidrivers forum,all the engine bay stickers!!! Absolutely chuffed to bits with them!!!

Im sad!
lol.gif

andygti013-4.jpg

Thats up to today,next will be flat down,etch prime all the treated bits,then paint,hopefully by xmas!

Daniel185

any more progress on this?