• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
harryskid

Thread Lock

harryskid

Went to the local car shop to get some loctite but he only sells Thread lock in a small tube about the size of a thimble for £4. As i was in a hurry for some i had to bite the bullet and buy some. Is there a cheaper way to get this stuff and in a better quantiy?

Tom Fenton

Yes, find yourself an engineers merchant, or use an online company such as Buck and Hickman, Farnell, RS, etc.

Be warned it isn't that cheap but will be better gear than the crap from the car shop.

TaffyTim

Can you post your findings including price on here please

Can you post your findings including price on here please

Cameron

That little bottle will last you a surprisingly long amount of time, so I wouldn't complain too much about it.

Loctite 243 is the one you want, I have one of the large bottles (was a freebie though ;) ) and it has lasted me a very long time!

wardy18

eBay did the job for me!!

Loctite 243 50ml for £13

chipstick

A larger bottle is about £30 odd for loctite. Toolstation do a cheaper brand in low and medium strength for a couple of quid also if you are close to one of those. Again, it's in a small quanitity.

Prices differ hugely. There was a seller doing reasonable prices on larger bottlese through Amazon.

Pictures will deceive. Always check the grammage and ml.

My Dad is an engineer and gave me 2 large bottles of a brand I had never heard of. It's not cheap stuff (I've found in the past a lot of the stuff he uses looks no frills, but costs obscene amounts compared to the 'big brands' and is the dogs). One of the bottles (green IIRC) he warned me to never use unless I seriously didn't want to undo it again without hassle and acetylene :lol:

Cameron

Yep, probably very similar to the green Loctite (701 I think..) that basically welds stuff together. :lol:

Personally I'd always fork out for the good stuff, you'd have to be a total cheapskate not to tbh.. considering how long the stuff lasts! If you care enough about the thing coming undone to use threadlock, you may as well use the best stuff you can get hold of.

Tom Fenton

I am personally not fussy over brand. What really is important is joint prep if it is an important joint. By this I mean getting threads completely clean and grease free with solvent degreaser. Then NOT touching with fingers which transfers oils onto the threads again. Then apply product and assemble joint.

The preparation is 90% of the success, the product 10%.

wardy18

Im about to fit my new flywheel and will be paying much attention to cleaning the threads in the crank, ie Carb Cleaner and a little wire brush attachment in the end of my drill to run through the threads and also a tap set to clean any really hard stuff deep into the threads then as advised i will also used some peugeot sport sealer on the faces of the flywheel and crank where they mate to stick it in place

ill have to chissel the thing off if i ever need it removed

SurGie

Bit over the top ^^ ant it. Thats what the new bolts are for, keep it in place.

The only crud that would be on those threads would be old loctite, Peugeot use a dry loctite stuff and it sets with the torque pressure.

I did give mine a good clean with some solvent but would not use a wire brush, you dont want to mess about with that in-case some bits of the brush gets into the crank area.

harryskid

I wanted mine to stop the small bolts keeping the filter on my throttle bodies from undoing as they did on a rally i did last sunday. They had little spring washers but stiil came undone, breaking my secondary throttle return spring in the process. I have sorted it now but was shocked at the price of the loctite. I am going to look around to see if i can buy a decent amount for a resonable price. :)