• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joel2005

G613Vno...gti To Gti6

joel2005

Hi, I,m darren from Northumberland I thought I,d share my project with you lot.

Its nothing out of the ordinary,and has been done loads of times before,.

I,ve had a few 205gti,s before, dating back from 1992 my first a white 1.9 f plate, then came a white 86 non sunroof 1.6, then it was my black 1.9 h plate, that I had on 40,s and then a zantia turbo lump in it.

This brings me up to this year , back in march this year I travelled up to scotland to pick up G613 VNO a graphite grey 1.9 gti 89 model, I,m 42 now and after the initial nostalgia had worn off I,ve decided that the car just isn,t quick enough.

So as it stands its in my garage ( in bits) Spikey is busy doing my loom,I,ve got a genuine low milage xzara vts engine and box , all the gti6 sensors( i think) ... next on the list to do is swap the old box bits onto the vts one,timing belt+pump,clutch etc then trail fit the engine to modify the exhaust manifold ,I,ll be doing the manifold myself as I will be using the xsara vts phase 2 one.

Anyway less talk and more pics here is the car as I bought it, if the pics work

205gti008.jpg

205gti011.jpg

205gti011.jpg

205gti001.jpg

205gti007.jpg

And just thought I,d put a few of my cossie up that I restored and sold last year

feb2010pics019.jpg

feb2010pics021.jpg

cossie18jan2010035.jpg

cossie18jan2010038.jpg

joel2005

I ,ll take some pics of the car as it stands tommorow,,Ignore the mess in the garage though!!!

ellis

Wow very nice mate, both cars, if the cossy is anything to go by the 205 will look great. Little tip for ya exhust Mani, put a 5mm thick grinding disc thro it, close the gap up and reweld and you should be spot on. Mine couldn't of been better and that's what I did.

barry d

that cosworth looks class.the 205 looks a minter too.well wear mate. :)

allye

I do like a good fast ford, looks like you've done an amazing job! Needs standard wheels though IMO :ph34r:

chipstick

Wow very nice mate, both cars, if the cossy is anything to go by the 205 will look great. Little tip for ya exhust Mani, put a 5mm thick grinding disc thro it, close the gap up and reweld and you should be spot on. Mine couldn't of been better and that's what I did.

I personally think 5mm is too much. All will be different, but I used a thin cutting blade and two hacksaw blades together and ended up with a gap of no more than 2-3mm and when the gap was closed and welded, it misses the bulkhead well and isn't too close to the gear linkage either.

Your better off going with a smaller gap and trial fitting then cutting more out if needs be, rather than trying to fill the gap with weld and risk burning away the stainless.

The smallest of movement really does change the angle more than it looks.

joel2005

I was thinking of using a narrow cutting disc first, like you say chipstick its easier to make a cut larger than smaller.

Allye I,ve always liked the modified classic look to cars, Standard cossie rims just don,t do it for me !, although I had a mint set of standards in the garage , I just never hardly had them on,( and momo arrows are period cool to me).

I,ll put some pics of my manta exclusive on next, that has some ultra rare period 17x8.5 fittipaldi alloys look great but rubbish for sideways action!!

joel2005

Here,s a couple of pics of the Manta.....

mantajoel342.jpg

mantajoel336.jpg

mantajoel337.jpg

mantajoel344.jpg

mantajoel341.jpg

mantajoel343.jpg

joel2005

And a few pics of the Pug as it stands, it was part stripped and thrown in the garage in a rush....there will be a major clear-out before the work starts properly,,,I,m not a PIG I promise ;)

kart205011.jpg

kart205016.jpg

kart205015.jpg

kart205014.jpg

kart205013.jpg

kart205012-1.jpg

kart205011.jpg

allye

You messy bastard! how can you live like that :lol: I'm only joking. I'v got a soft spot for manta's, it needs a red top on ITB's though :ph34r: What engine is in it at the moment?

joel2005

Its the original 2 litre with 65,000 genuine miles, to be honest I did consider a redtop etc but its far too genuine and clean to mess with.

joel2005
mantajoel335.jpg

joel2005

Finally tidied the garage out, dropped the engine/box out.

The frontend is in excellent condition with only light surface rust,there was 1 hole where the bulkhead meets the chassis leg which I chopped out the rot welded them seamsealered.

Next I,ll clean off the 20 odd years of oily crap and start prepping the bay for the repaint, some pics.

205013.jpg

205014.jpg

205015.jpg

205016.jpg

205017.jpg

205018.jpg

I have dusted some random black paint on the offside panel myself after I rubbed some scabs off just to keep the damp out (before anyone mentions it) ;)

joel2005

A few more pics

205019.jpg

205022.jpg

205023.jpg

205024.jpg

205025.jpg

I,ll update soon as the work progresses.

welshpug

might as well drop the tank whilst youre at it, it can hide some rust on the inner sills, I'd give it a good going over given the rear window sticker :ph34r:

joel2005

Thats next on the agenda, Its got a recon rear axle from Coventry axles about 2 1/2 years ago which is strangley set at different heights, but as usual I can,t even get the torsion bars out with a sliding hammer ( so its coming off) to give it a bit of heat.

I,ll drop the tank at the same time and paint the whole underneath, but I want to get the engine in and running before I have even more parts lying around.

And I know what you mean about the sticker :blush: ,,,,, It came with 2 odd front hubs, the gearbex mount welded to the battery tray, top chopped off the gearstick, c/locking not working, etc,etc,etc.