• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Leet205

[body_work] Steel Grey 1.9

Leet205

I bought this car 6 years ago and drove it until it run out of MOT. It was smokey and had a leaky heater matrix and I just didn’t have the time to overhaul it. It was then left off the road at my patents in Scotland needing some tlc.

th_IMAG0058.jpg

Life got in the way and now 5 years later I have moved to England and have a double garage, 1 borrowed trailer and a Dad with a LWB transit it was here in its new home - best crack on with it.

New garage

th_DSC_0646.jpg

I wasn’t going to have a project thread as I didn’t think I could be arsed to keep it up to date. :blush:

The things I have done on the car so far are:

Got it running - when it was parked up it developed some faults. dizzy/afm/coil/ignition amp/ ecu temp sensor plug replaced this got it running well enough for the time being

Replacement heater matrix

New copper fuel pipes

New copper brake pipes replaced where required

Goodridge stainless hoses

Calipers cleaned and painted with new bleed nipples fitted

new disks and pads fitted

rear axle refurbished and fitted with grease nipples between the bearings in the tube. its also been upgraded to zx arms and 22mm ARB. Ofcouse it would have been rude not to paint it

second hand bilstein b6 suspension kit fitted

new suspension drop links fitted

1.6 gti flywheel fitted

new valeo clutch fitted

Shiny refurbed axle

th_DSC_1011.jpg

After it got its rear axle back on I put it on its wheels a took it outside for a wash, Its sitting quite low at the front so I plan to pick up some -30mm springs and adjust the back to suit. The paint only looks half decent here because its wet :lol:

th_DSC_0344.jpg

th_DSC_0318.jpg

At the moment I have the engine out as the original has a cracked block (a result of me leaving it off the road with no coolant) and it is quite tired. I have picked up a replacement 1.9 8v with good history and has had a recent head rebuild and new cambelt so that is waiting to go in.

I have pretty rusty o/s drivers headlight panel and inner wing, when I removed the old engine I got to see the extent of the rot! The car has obviously been in an accident at some time in its life and has been poorly repaired

th_DSC_0468.jpg

th_DSC_0471.jpg

th_DSC_0472.jpg

th_DSC_0473.jpg

This was the filler that I picked off - Nasty!

Needless to say I am now looking to pick up a second hand welder and get practicing! :D

Colin

richpowell

Looks like i will be keeping a close eye on your project, ive got a similar rust problem on mine although mines on both sides. It will be interesting to see how you tackle it.

DaveW

If you ever buy a welder...

Leet205

Welder acquired and a section cut off the front of a 205 in the scrappy, and it’s time for an update!

I was originally looking for a hobby welder, seen lots of ones I wanted on eBay, mainly snap on/cebora 130 turbo. The sellers weren’t good at answering questions and when I eventually found one I wanted and had agreed a price the seller send me some more pics over on the mobile - it was a completely different welder from advertised and looked 100% more shagged than advertised.

So broadened the search and ended up getting a boc (murex) Transmig 110. Should be good to weld up to about 3mm. It came with a Pub co2 bottle and euro torch. Bargain :D.

The section I went and chopped off a 205 in the scrappy. It pissed down all day - I got properly soaked! Still has a couple of rust patches but is much much better than what I have, it will be sorted before it’s welded on.

here iv started to strip the crusty panels off

th_DSC_0572.jpg

The bit I’m holding at the bottom here was mostly filler, and is only held on by the underseal from the inner wheel arch.

th_DSC_0573.jpg

Front panels/headlight panels for the 205 seem to be unobtainable atm, having tried all the usual suspects this is the section I cut off at the scrappy which has the added benefit of being pug panels. This is it after I removed the engine mount and chassis leg, just sat on roughly.

th_DSC_0570.jpg

This is the Mig welder I bought off eBay – I even tidied the garage a little!

th_DSC_0574.jpg

Now I just need to learn how to set up the mig and the fine detail of how to weld. If there’s anyone local that is handy with a mig and wants to come help me set it up and give me a crash course that would be awesome :lol:

Colin.

Tom Fenton

Do you need that spare strut turret sat on top of the car? I could do with a part of that to do a repair on my white car.

If you can get the inner wing to fit well enough you can borrow my spot welder if you want to reattach it. Quite a lot of work to get the prep done, but the welding part is dead easy and takes a matter of minutes.

Leet205

The strut turret you see there is cut across the middle, so the front half - if its any use to you then its yours :)

Cheers for the offer of the spot welder Tom - sounds ideal. Il give you a shout nearer the time

Colin

Leet205

This weekend has been busy on the 205 front. The front end is welded together again :D

First of all the new panels were tried on to make sure everything lines up, next was marking and cutting where the joins would be.

The section i cut off the donor scrap yard car was not perfect, and needed acouple of repairs, the first one was just on the lip where its attached to the inner wing so a new bit ot metal was cut and welded in

Before

th_DSC_0479.jpg

After

th_DSC_0650.jpg

Before

th_DSC_0477.jpg

After

th_DSC_0664.jpg

The strut tower needed a repair, so out comes the rot and in goes some fresh metal

This is my dad he helped a lot and is generally awesome.

th_DSC_0649.jpg

th_DSC_0651.jpg

th_DSC_0654.jpg

Splitting the post here because I have too many pics for the one post.

Leet205

After we done this the Mrs. came in and stole the camera as our daughter was doing cute things – so these pictures were taken at the end of play but I’m sure you get the idea

th_DSC_0670.jpg

th_DSC_0668.jpg

th_DSC_0669.jpg

th_DSC_0663.jpg

Now I need to finish dressing the welds and get it primed, sealed, and painted – then the engine can go back in! Not far away now :lol:

DaveW

Yeahhhh :D now all it needs is a respray ;)

Leet205

Just a mini update - seam sealed and painted

Got an aerosol mixed to match the colour, once it has afew months road grime it should match the rest of the bay perfect.

th_DSC00390.jpg

th_DSC00395.jpg

th_DSC00396.jpg

Next up - sticking bits to the engine then getting it back in the bay :D

Colin

Tom Fenton

Looks a neat repair Col.

BlueBolt

Looks like a lot of work that you must be feeling very happy with!!

Very neat and tidy from the pics mate!!! Job well done!!

Anthony

Really good job there - you'd never have guessed that this is the first thing you've welded in anger! :o

erwin_meijer

You did a good job. Looking good :).

Leet205

Long time no update!

Well, I got the replacement Engine in and running then started investigating the rust on the sill/back end. I started a thread in general car chat to have a moan as I was thinking about reshelling it as it is a bit crusty! I decided that its only metal so might aswell have a go with the welder.

I will let the pics do the talking for a bit

th_DSC_0054.jpg th_DSC_0055.jpg th_DSC_0063.jpg

th_DSC_0078.jpg th_DSC_0080.jpg th_DSC_0082.jpg

Plently to keep me busy then.

Will update again soon as I have progress pics.

Colin

Leet205

Started chopping out rot and sticking some new metal in. Some pics might be missing as im not the best at remembering to take pictures :blush:

th_DSC_0103.jpg th_DSC_01022.jpg th_DSC_0105.jpg

th_DSC_0202.jpg th_DSC_0267.jpg th_DSC_0268.jpg

Still more to come - I have swapped from photobucket to flickr now tho. As soon as I have figured out how to use it I will do another update

Colin

Leet205

At this point I run out of sheet steel. Why bother buy more when iv just changed the bonnet on my daily driver for one that was less scabby?

7677492232_4c81a7e646_m.jpg 7677469058_9ce16ea7ab_m.jpg 7677453270_87d9a13bd6_m.jpg

7677444466_bf625afac1_m.jpg]7675638450_bc49441f11_m.jpg7675633426_cb12487c9a_m.jpg

I know the welding is not the best, but has plenty of penetration and in my defence the metal I’m attaching it to is pretty thin! Welds should clean down well enough when my flap discs arrive in the post

I have a few more pictures to upload then the thread will be up to date

Colin

Edited by Leet205

Leet205

These pictures bring the thread up to date

7675629068_911d500504_m.jpg7678062734_5cdcc5f9a8_m.jpg7678049208_2e5d5f3c97_m.jpg

7682899404_a85c7be739_m.jpg

I just have the bottom of the B pillar to sort out next and dress the welds down with a flap disc then its ready for an outer sill (when I get round to buying it)

Plenty of other welding repairs to be done under the rear seats and on the boot floor so stay tuned!

Comments and questions welcome :)

Thanks for reading.

Colin

BlueBolt

A lot of good progress!! I'm no good with a welder, mainly due to being a bit scared of trying and messing up than anything else, so I'm impressed!!!

jonXS

is this novice welding? i like the natural skills you seem to have

Leet205

The recent updates have all been welded by me (got my first welder october last year) Iv only ever welded on the 205, so very much a novice still.

My dad helped me do the repairs at the top (hes a panel beater)

There are some good guides for learning to weld on the migwelding forum and on youtube :)

jonXS

i may have to start looking on getting one. well done on the progress

Tom Fenton

Looks a good job Col. Do you want the spot welder to put the outer sill on neatly?

Leet205

Ooooh would be rude not to I think! Will give you a bell once its ready and iv bought the sill

Cheers Tom :)

Leet205

Sill on and lined up with self tappers to get the gaps half decent.

7772736036_4d362dedfd_c.jpg

When I have got a spare hour il be ringing Mr Fenton soon for a shot of that spot welder :D