• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
starky5

Worn Door Hinge, 1990 205 1.9 Gti

starky5

Hi,

I have had a quick search an there are plenty of topics about replacing door pins, which i have done. But none seem to cover what you do if there is still a lot of play in your door.

I have replaced both pins and the door still rocks a lot, is it possible to get the hinges replaced? i noticed they are welded to the shell so is it just a case of shimming the new pins with some old coke can?

Anthony

Drill them out so that they're round again, and use a generic roll pin of the corresponding size.

Toddy

You can use brass shim stock to take up the slack and convert to phase 2 door hinges where thw pins are easier to replace

Jez G

I am in the same situation. How do you manage to drill the hinges with them on the car. Using a hand drill will be hard to keep things square?

starky5

They are the torx bolt style door pins not roll pins so that makes drilling them out and using a different bolt very hard. So am i limited to shimming them?

welshpug

yup, or replacing the whole assembly.

starky5

That is possible then welshpug? Would i just need to get hold of an accurate welder to cut the old ones off and weld new ones on?

welshpug

anygthing is possible, thats how they were fitted in the factory :)

m@ttc

what did you do in the end? im wanna go the shimming route as that's whats original. No need to do any drilling to later type hinges then. Will need to put a washers top and bottom thou, as the original bushes look like they was put in over size on the length and then pressed over after so will not remove without damage. to them. Might even be some allready in that size as a standard brass bearing?

farmer

I have the early type hinges new in a bag if you are interested?

Rock Lobster

I have later hinges you can have for postage mate, all complete with pins and bolts etc. Both sides.

al_gee82

Sorry for the hijack op, farmer - you say you have some hinges for sale, are these ph 1 role pin type (mine is 89 G)and are the items that are bolted to the door, top and bottom? If so how much would you want for them?

farmer

Yup two new hinges with roll pins fitted.

75 delivered.

al_gee82

Ok cheers bud. I don't have the cash at the moment but I'll be in touch soon for a set if they're still available.

farmer

Ok mate, Pug charged about £33 a hinge when sold.