• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fionn205

1.1 Project Opinions Please

fionn205

So my first car was a 1.1 3door 205 in awful condition but the body is solid.

So i have began to fix her up without spending too much, im going for the rally car look.

So far;

1.9 Gti Rear Beam

1.9 Gti Brakes

Gti Valances and trim

Some panels taken off of a graphite grey Gti and the original steel grey ones I resprayed myself with Halford cans! and the roof is red (O God)

Gti. Interior and back windows

Gti door cards

mud flaps

Electric windows and central locking installed

Resprayed pepperpots

Gti Struts with 50mm lowering springs

probably forgetting some stuff

Stil to come

Black Gti Dash

Rear Lowered

Power Steering

A Citreon ax, 205 xs or rallye engine but I just can't find one! I located an ax engine nearby but it was injection! The other option is tune the 1.1 (twin carbs etc.) but I dont know if that would really gain me anything, my insurance is too much for a 1.6 or 1.9 and I still have the 1.1 subframe any suggestions?

PICTURES

BlueBolt

my insurance is too much for a 1.6 or 1.9 and I still have the 1.1 subframe any suggestions?

I'm guessing therefore that your insurance doesn't know about the things you've done to it so far... Which would make ur insurance void... Which would ponder the question as to why you're not putting the 1.6 or 1.9 lump into it??

Good stuff so far though, nice to see something being worked on and brought to life!!

Edited by BlueBolt

fionn205

I'm guessing therefore that your insurance doesn't know about the things you've done to it so far... Which would make ur insurance void... Which would ponder the question as to why you're not putting the 1.6 or 1.9 lump into it??

Good stuff so far though, nice to see something being worked on and brought to life!!

insurance works different here anyway i really want to keep with the TU engines anyway as I prefer carbs and why buy a 1.9 when I could get 100 horse from a 1.3 a lot less petrol being used there and I get an erection off the sound of the twin carbs

fionn205

so taking her for a spin today I heard some crunching from the gearbox and then when I went to change gear all I could get was neutral! The linkages seem fine so its safe to say the gearbox is gone . Just when I was getting to enjoy driving the car!

Edited by fionn205

allye

I would suggest not to lower it 50mm, that's quite a lot. Also dont put gti windows in it they leak much worse than the non opening ones!

steve@cornwall

I would suggest not to lower it 50mm, that's quite a lot. Also dont put gti windows in it they leak much worse than the non opening ones!

Agreed on the lowering (if the arches haven't been cut back otherwise should be fine with the GTi beam?) but i have no problems with the GTi windows leaking in my 1.1

Edited by steve@cornwall

fionn205

The front is lowered 50mm, the back is'nt lowered yet but its already sitting lower then original with the 1.9 beam, I only want to lower it another 20mm and the arches are cut already so I could fit the gti trim and it worked out great

What do ye think of the wheels?

Edited by fionn205

allye

Very nice wheels! Need some air in the osf though :P

fionn205

Very nice wheels! Need some air in the osf though :P

Yep that was just after the spraying still needed new tyres then. This gearbox really has me in a bad mood do, Im going back over to college in glasgow next week might try pick something up there and take my 1.9 rear brake calipers to an engineer as the nipples sheared and bleeding them is a right pain now.

DaveW

You dont need power steering on the Tu engined 205's, dont get a uk rallye engine they are poo, iron block and only 75hp.

fionn205

Ok hello again i am home for christmass and began working on the 205 again and have a few questions

firstly im getting a 5 speed gearbox from a 1.4 309 this friday which is replacing the crappy 4 speed gearbox

I have the engine/gearbox ready to lift out except for the driveshafts, and i was wondering if there is a way to simply disconnect the driveshafts from the gearbox without removing the hub nuts as i dont have a big socket set or torque wrench?, is it possible by removing the struts that i could get the driveshafts out as the passenger side driveshaft came loose when i was fitting the lowering springs.

also

would there be any advantages of using a tu3 head instead of the tu1 head as i can get my hands on one, especially if I had a twin carb setup?

why does the pipe after the exhaust manifold have a split down the middle, would this not restrict airflow?

dsc00705ld.th.jpg

thanks.

Fox

You don't need to remove the hub nuts, pop out the bottom arm, drop link, and trackrod end and you should have enough slack to pull it out.

Although a socket to fit would be a wise investment!

Fox

Nice project by the way! Reminds me of a phase 1, 1.1 106 a friend of mine had as a first car, a few choice modifications and a 106 rallye engine made it a very underestimated car!

Matt180

no you dont need to remove the splitter in the downpipe, its there for a reason.

fionn205

good managed to get the shafts out without investing in a new socket!! thanks for the replies

anyway before a go to the scrapyard for this 309 gearbox can anyone tell me if theres any point in taking the tu3 head aswell?