• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Diy Tyre Fitting

johnnyboy666

was going to get a pair of tyres fitted to a pair of steelies today, but it seems its got a lot more expensive since i last had some done! So I decided to have a go myself. after trying for 20mins to get the first one on I resorted to youtube for a few tips, and once i got the techinque down it was pretty easy to get both tyres on the rims. the problem now is I need to get the tyres seated properly before inflating (and getting them balanced obviously) but the only way I can see to do it is the 'flame' method (as seen on the top gear polar special)

the tyres are a little narrower than the standard tyre for these rims so I'll need to 'pop' them into place. Question is, has anybody tried this before and what are the do's and dont's?

obviously i realise its quite dangerous but i'm a big boy and will have a fire extinguisher on standby.

Also would it be better to use wd40 or lighter gas? Ive seen people use both.

and before anybody asks, the wheels are tatty and the tyres arent top dollar ones so worst comes to the worst ill scrap the tyres.

any thoughts?

welshpug

hairspray! with the valve out though, other than that a decent garage air line should do the trick.

wd40 doesnt give the "woof" that hairspray does, ok as a flame thrower though :D

saying that i had a pair of partworns swapped last week and was charged £6.50 each which inc a new valve and disposal of the old tyres and balancing

johnnyboy666

cheeky beggars up here wanted £35! and the rims didnt even have tyres on!

I havent got any hairspray but that stuffs pretty much as flammable as lighter gas so i think I'll go with that! good point about taking the valves out first! hadnt thought of that!

Daviewonder

Try finding a garage with a tyre machine rather than a tyre place, tends to be cheaper.

Henry Yorke

Or say you don't need a receipt at a tyre place and walk straight into the fitting bay, not the front counter on a weekend...

johnnyboy666

ok, the flaming didnt work at all, as the tyres have a bit of a stretch on them, i think im gonna need one of those cheetah air compressor things :( do most tyre places have those or will i need to go on a hunt for one?

welshpug

most have them, no experience of stretch though, I preffer the right size tyre :P

johnnyboy666

unfortunately finding the right size tyre for a 10j rim is proving to be quite difficult!

welshpug

so would finding a car they'll fit :lol:

johnnyboy666

lol its a bit of an experiment at the moment for sh!ts and giggles :) think i might need to go down to 8j instead!