• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danpass15

205 Gti 1.9 To Gti6 Conversion

danpass15

Work has started on converting my gti to gti6 power. Due to work commitments from my friends (the one's with mechanical skills and experience), it has taken a while to get started, however some progress is being made!

Got the old engine out to discover one of the water pipes was completely corroded so that will need replacing. Got 309 front running gear to fit which should be easier now the engine is out. I am having the 1.6 box on with the engine, not sure how this is going to work out :wacko: Fitted a new clutch and the 1.6 box to the engine, also started transferring other bits over onto the 6 engine.

Going to drop the radiator tonight and move the brake master cylinder. Got a bit of welding to do near the left top strut.

Might be in need of a crank sensor as it doesn't appear to be with the loom. Not sure if anyone has got one lying around?

Will get some pics up soon.

ellis

Get some pics up fella, i did this conversion a few mths ago now. I got my crank sensor from a local car parts supplier, was only £18. I run mine on the 1.6 box, its fine to be fair, i know a few people say its not upto the job but mine has been great so far. Where are you moveing the master cylinder too mate? I did i bit of cutting of the cam cover and a bit of trimming to the rocker cover, fitted some uprated engine mounts and i dont seem to have any issues now. Remember to do something with your exhaust mani too before it goes in the car as you wont get it off again once the engine is in place.

danpass15

Moving the master cylinder as far up to the bulkhead as possible.

danpass15

Got the engine in last night, made up some brackets and moved the radiator down so is loads of room. Had to re angle the lower engine mount so the exhaust clears which it now does without having to re-angle it!

Things left to do:

The plumbing

Wire all the electrics in

Make a custom down pipe.

danpass15

engineout.jpg

6engine.jpg

mastercylinder.jpg

radiatorbracets.jpg

cheesegrater

I'd look at getting a reangled manifold, that angle looks savage!

danpass15

so gutted finished the conversion today all looking good. Went 50 yards down the road and a loud ping noise and it died :( lost compression in all cylinders. currently taking it to bits to see what the problem is. And the engine is not at a savage angle just looks bad there as it was jacked up

ellis

Not good fella, did you change timing belt ect before it went in?

danpass15

Yeah was all changed, turned out the inlet cam pulley came loose (was not done up tight enough) sheared the keyhole and bent the valves not sure yet if there's piston damage too

chipstick

Sorry to hear the latest news :(

ellis

Gutted mate, hope you get it sorted, must be gutting.

danpass15

yeah its very gutting :( some good news though. Valves have been checked and only appears to be 2 valves that need replacing so hopefully not going to cost too much and wont need to find another head.

Here's some pics of what it looked like all finished before the unexpected...

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Anthony

yeah its very gutting :( some good news though. Valves have been checked and only appears to be 2 valves that need replacing so hopefully not going to cost too much and wont need to find another head.

Make absolutely sure that it's only two and that others haven't had the lightest of dinks, as otherwise you're liable to end up with a "tapper"

Given that the valves aren't that expensive new if you go through the appropriate channels, I'd be tempted to replace all 8 for the cam that came loose unless you're absolutely sure that they're good - be gutting to go to the time and expense putting it all back together only for the dreaded "tap.. tap.. tap" to rear its ugly head.

Miles

I;ve got to agree with the above, the amount of times I have had supplied heads done by 'X' and when checked I find bent valves it's not worth the risk, this is why in the UK I would only trust 2 companies for this very work.

petert

It's a 20 min job to face all the valves. Just get it done while they're out. You'll soon see if they're bent.

danpass15

Got the car back and running again this weekend, took it for MOT today and it passed, however half way through the test it stalled/cut out and decided not to start again. Was turning over very briefly - sounded as if it was the battery, tried jumping it still no good, put a new battery on - still didn't start. Eventually got it to start again but unsure how and finished mot.

Going to look at it tonight. Have used the starter motor off my 1.9 engine - not sure if this is good enough for the 6 engine? Also thinking that when had the head re-skimmed it might have been too much so the pressure is to high for starter to turn the engine over? Other thoughts are it might be an earthing issue...

Any ideas would be great.

Anthony

The original 8v fat-bodied starters (if that's what you used) are pretty rubbish at the best of times to be honest.

The original GTi-6 starter or any of the later XU7 / XU10 slimline Valeo starter motors are much better

Any skim would have had minimal effect on the effort required for the starter to turn over the engine, so I'd rule that out.

Check the power/earth connections first though, as poor/loose connections can give you the same symptoms you're seeing

danpass15

ok thanks anthony, have got a 306 d turbo starter motor so hopefully that will work. Will check all the wiring first of course.

danpass15

all fixed. It was the starter motor, put a diesel one on and it starts really well now..really gutted though as its making the dreaded tapping noise that some people warned about...checked compression though and it was good in all 4 cyclinders so think I will have to just put up with it for now...

Miles

Be carefull as the tapping can lead to total engine destruction,

danpass15

Be carefull as the tapping can lead to total engine destruction,

Really? I read that 80-90% of engine rebuilds where the inlet cam broke you are left with a tapping. Some people have done 50/60k like that...

I don't want anymore worries this conversion has been a nitemare as it is!

Anthony

Really? I read that 80-90% of engine rebuilds where the inlet cam broke you are left with a tapping. Some people have done 50/60k like that...

Some undoubtedly do. Others snap the head off the valve in a few hundred miles, usually effectively destroying the engine.

You pays your money and takes your chance.

And 80-90% probably do tap afterwards because they weren't repaired properly in the first place.

Miles

As Anthony's said, It hasn't been repaired correctly and I've seen it all too often, even heads given to me that have been repaired of which I always get checked out and 99% of them need further work as bent valves have been missed.

it's Pot luck on how long tappers last

SurGie

With the pistons going up and down the block in two's, then the 4 valves that are for the two pistons that have come together, surely it would be best to replace all 4 of them as a matter of course ?

Sign in to follow this