• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart1298

Turbo Conversion Clonking

stuart1298

The car has been lowered 50mm on gmax shock and springs, since I've had the new engine in there seems to be a severe clonking, just had a look at my drive shafts, after killing one the other day, they seem to be a lot lower at the engine than at the wheels, I'm wondering if the extra weight of the turbo engine and pipe work etc may have been more than I fort it was compared to the 1.6, and this is what is causing the clonking, anyone have pics of how the shafts should look

dcc

Is it a twat to drive? everything still in place? mounts etc... the turbo block is 11mm (forgive if im wrong) taller than your old ally block. check the cv joint for clunking

stuart1298

Just constant clonking, I have a couple of pics, but it wont let me up load from my Phone

stuart1298
stuart1298

I think there's to much strain on the shaft. And think that's why my old shaft only lasted a mile

jackherer

It looks like its pulled forward a lot, how much did you extend the bottom engine mount fork by?

It also looks too low, if the wishbones are pointing up towards the hub as it appears in that pic it will handle horribly, constant bump steer.

stuart1298

It was extend by just under an inch I'd say, will measure it in the next day or so, I Personaly think with the springs and he weight difference of the new engine and extra bits it's to low, they are 50 mm springs. I'm thinking of getting some standard springs and seeing how that goes

pugpete1108

an inch? jesus that alot really. i extended the hole on mine about 4mm. why that much? is it needed on the turbo conversion then for manifold clearance.

that will fubar shafts fairly quickly imo.

Miles

Cheap pattern shafts are like this, They don;t last long at all, I know a customer who had a tilted engine from a company in the midlands had one go every week until the engine was untilted, AMK shafts I think they where now

stuart1298

I just let the engine sit in the most natural place, wondering if it's a bad move now, seems to be burning a bit of oil as well, and read a thread some one else had there engine tilted to much, so may modify it and make it a little less tilted

dcc

I have my lower mount extended by a good 20mm. im running 220bhp and if my shafts were gonna be chewed then theyd have been dead by now! something else is wrong here...

stuart1298

I'm certain it's cos of how low it is, any chance you can get a pic of your shafts so I can compare it to mine

dcc

What gearbox do you have? does the shaft sit neatly in the box? have you checked top mounts?

stuart1298

Standard 1600 box, sits as I think it should, from what I can see top mounts are ok

camgti

Too Low? Wishbones are angled too much to the sky I would say. Shouldn't make the shafts wear though. A combination of all the above perhaps? What about your diff?

Cam

stuart1298

Just thinking the engine is pushing down on the shafts to much, gonna try get a standard front setup of shocks and spring and go from there

welshpug

Standard 1600 box, sits as I think it should, from what I can see top mounts are ok

but its not as youve extended the fork :lol:

stuart1298

I let the engine sit how it wanted to, I extended the fork while the engine was in the car, then welded the work with the engine sitting how it wanted to

dcc

That might be your issue there...

jackherer

You can see its tilted way too much from the outer CV joint gaitor, unless its got a lot of right hand steering lock on that isn't obvious from that photo.

stuart1298

Wheels were pretty much straight, when you look t the car the shaft docent look to bad, it's just the angle from the engine being low. if I shorten the mount I have no space for the pipe that goes in to the throttle housing as it's almost touching the rad as it is

stuart1298

Picked standard shocks and springs up from Floodys, gonna get them on over the weekend and see how she goes, fingers crossed!

Daviewonder

Have you not lowered your rad?

stuart1298

No haven't lowered the rad...

Sign in to follow this