• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

J&r Cv Joint Stretch Boot Kits

lagonda

I was suspicious the cv joint boot on the O/S shaft I bought from GSF in 2004 was fitted in too stretched a position....proved right all these years later, as recently discovered it's had enough & split all the way round. To be fair, amazed it's lasted this long.

The previous shaft was replaced because of split boot....Haynes stated dismantling the joint was a special tool garage only job....not sure now that's actually true.

Anyway, looking on ebay I've seen firms advertising these stretch boot kits, meaning one only needs to disengage the shaft from the hub. Anyone any experience of these, are they that easy to fit....and do they last?!

The J&R one has a 2 year guarantee....are they good or can anyone recommend a better firm to go to.

Tom Fenton

I personally will use stretch boots on general runabouts for people who just want a cheap fix.

On my own stuff I spend a little extra time, remove and dismantle the shaft and fit a proper boot.

The 1600 shafts cannot be dismantled at the outer CV end, instead you have to dismantle the inner CV, to slide a proper boot on. This leads to even more work if your shaft is the earlier type with the peened over metal can on the inner CV.

welshpug

I avoid stretchy boots as I find they never fit very well nor last very long, so tend to stick to proper spec items as supplied by GKN, corrteco, Qdrive etc, even peugeot still do them as many of the joints share the same dimensions on later puygs

if its a 1.9 shaft then there really is no need whatsoever for stretchy boots as the outer joint taps off, though a 1.6 shaft requires dismantling of the inner joint to slide the boot down the shaft as the outer is not removable, not a difficult task though and well worth doing properly.

Paul_13

Don't buy quinton hazel ones, won't long you long. Ryan_stdt fitted one and lasted 2 weeks. Split badly :o

SurGie

It does depend on how tight they are fitted though.

Im still looking for a place to buy a good set, where did you get yours Paul ? I have 309 gti shafts with the threaded end loop hole that AFAIK are rare to have.

Cheers

Anthony

I avoid stretchy boots as I find they never fit very well nor last very long, so tend to stick to proper spec items as supplied by GKN, corrteco, Qdrive etc,

QDrive are the cheap ones that ECP sell aren't they from memory?

If so, whilst they fit fine, I'm not sure that I'd ever recommend them as a long-term repair, as they feel distinctly substandard next to GKN CV boots, subjectively feeling like they're made from that same inferior (no doubt "environmentally friendly") rubber that many balljoint rubbers and so on are made from, that seems to split and disintegrate in no time at all.

Do you know anywhere off the top of your head that does GKN boots these days for 1.9/309 shafts? One of the outer boots on my newish and low-mileage 309 driveshafts is already badly perished and liable to split at anytime, and it's probably covered 5k tops <_<

Paul_13

Was fitted as you should fit them mate, I helped him do it. Was a bit flimsy in the first place.

Mine are made by firstline, the newer type ones have hard rubber boots which slip off even when tied on tight. To be avoided, so get the early versions.

What do you mean by the threaded end loop??

welshpug

I have had GKN from GSF recently, the corrteco boot was pretty much identical too, have t say I havent used many of the Q drive ones from ECP as yet.

lagonda

Sorry, should have said it's a 1.6.

Yes I'd like to do the job properly, but so many things to do, and need to get the CTi through its Controle Technique (French MoT) soon.

Thanks for the nod re Quinton Hazell, I'd have thought they'd be OK!

Anyone out there fitted stretchg ones that have lasted & they can recommend?!

Paul_13

I fitted a stretch gaitor and it did last a good 6months.

Bike innertube repair patch ftw when it splits :)

SurGie

Where the 205 1.9 shafts have a safety lock pin to stop the hub nut coming loose.

Cheers, its a it of a mine field when it comes to these boots, i dont want to have to do them twice, too soon.

Paul_13

Errr all of my shafts have that Surgie and doesn't make a difference what boot is used

Paul_13

Tell a lie, I remember having a problem with andyjstones 205 where the inner cv cup was a smaller size to the norm

pug_ham

I've had a strecthy boot made by AMK on my car for several years & its still fine.

The only time I had one spring a leak was when I'd tightened the metal tabs to much & the boot couldn't move on the shaft so it bunched up when turning & caught the bottom of the shock, wearing it through.

g

welshpug

I think AMK is supplied by Motaquip (at least their shafts are), though have had Motaquip boxed boots as well.

pug_ham

Yeah, I noticed that through the Motaquip website when you click on driveshafts it re-directs you to AMK.

g

lagonda

Thanks, will check AMK out. Boots of what appear to be stretchy type are €20 plus out here, & that's without the fitting cone, so will still probably be cheaper getting one posted out/

Sign in to follow this