• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mclephane

Whats The Best Primer To Use

mclephane

Hi I just fabricated and welded in some steel plates to reconstruct both inner wings just wondering what you think the best primer would be use on the bare metal. I was just going to use etch primer. Then rattle can it for the time being. Hoping to get it back on the road fairly soon.

woodymi16

Hi I just fabricated and welded in some steel plates to reconstruct both inner wings just wondering what you think the best primer would be use on the bare metal. I was just going to use etch primer. Then rattle can it for the time being. Hoping to get it back on the road fairly soon.

I had my pugs engine bay media blasted and they used zinc primer. If you do use it be ultra anal with masking off as it will not come off without abrasive means.

Flozman

Etch primer is fine mate, the idea is just to get a good air and water tight coating to the surface. Things like zinc primer (good as they are) dont offer any kind of benifit once any rust has formed. Just get it covered :D

toddydal

even etch primer will soak in moisture,you want and epoxy primer sealer,we have one at work for doing all the restoration work cars it seals thecar and all the repairs are done later,but if its only the inside just etch prime ,prime and paint,i think upol do a arosol high build primer and it says for baremetal as well so thats like 2 in 1 but you will still need some sort of colour over the top