• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

[engine_work] Zx16V Daily Runabout Upgrade Project

welshpug

odd wheels due to bald tyres :)

they weren't bald! :ph34r:

just not road legal :lol:

feb

Great work.

The car looks really good too.

What's a pot box/black box in the picture?

Any reason why you decided not to stay with the OE management?

P.S. that's where all the C5 wheels have gone! :P

Edited by feb

welshpug

Car could still do with a fair bit of work body wise, bonnet is still the bent one hammered flat :lol:

Black box is a pot box/knobs box which enables much quicker mapping of the DTA ecu, saves tapping away at the keyboard trying to remember all the shortcuts and combinations, DTA sell them for about £200, sum of parts I will use is about £20.

The schematic and spec is here on the DTA forum http://www.dtaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4 with a link to this page http://www.quantums.info/dtalead.htm

I am going to use DTA as it needs mapping for the cams I have (currently only the Newmans PH2 inlet fitted) mapping the original ecu is £400 plus lots of fuel to get to Lancashire, whereas with a DTA mapping is less and if I can get Sandy to map it it's a fair bit closer, plus I can have a bash myself, not something I could do with Magnetti Marelli.

Throttle bodies are in the pipeline :ph34r:

I've only got 10 C5 wheels, 4 are still at a friends place in Lincoln after buying them on Ebay about a year ago :lol:

welshpug

Today's task, pick up an engine I helped rebuild for CUJ on the 306gti6 forum about 14 months back, unfortunately Jon wrote off his Rallye this time last year on black ice on the A40 so broke the car with Ash (Roland Rat) and the engine has been in a Friend of a friend's workshop since (Dan bought it and asked me to pick it up as he couldn't get over there when Anton could, also picked up a set of Cyclones for Ash, car is a bit grubby now) then dash back down to Cardiff to collect some bits from Peugeot;

6406388501_3bd97cd832_z.jpg

6406394245_ac25802595_z.jpg

Doesn't sit too bad considering that's on a 20mm ish drop before having the stuff dropped in the boot, found that a 3.0 TDI Touareg must be quite heavy as it couldn't keep up even with that lot in there :ph34r:

Car didn't feel too happy though with the wind today, shot p-bushes and play in the arm shafts made it wander a little, should solve some of it with these buggers;

6406347189_71aa687afa_z.jpg6406667027_db647fb7f9_z.jpg

Much better than the steel P-bush I think, cost the same give or take a couple of quid, the threaded insert in them is an M10x1.25 rather than M8x1.25 so with hindsight I would have ordered a pair of bolts (I knew it was M10 but though it would have been 1.5 pitch, should have known PSA wouldnt be som simple :lol: )

I'll just rummage in the bolt bucket tomorrow, the holes in the subframe might need to be taken out a little but I'll find out then I take it apart.

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

Bushes fitted :)

Had a dig through the bolt bucket and found a pair of 10x1.25 bolts, my mate Rich has worked on Jap stuff for years so have a decent selection of nuts and bolts with weird threads, didn't need to drill the hole in the subframe either :)

Ripped the old p-bush off and zipped down the sleeve with the thin disc in the grinder and tapped the new one on with a copper hammer, wasn't that tight a fit as some I've come across.

Used the press to sort the fork bush, can see that the rubber has degraded and was a bit squidgy! New one was Kleber branded.

6413308185_6061faa002_z.jpg6413233943_34e51892fa_z.jpg

6413176323_e74e38bb9b_z.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

Good tip about using the later Berlingo OE P-bushes - I really need to do the ones on my 306 at some point as they're absolutely screwed with significant cracking and perishing on the rubbers despite them being uprated (Group N IIRC) ones, and like you were experiencing, it's getting noticeably vague and blown around in the wind now as a result.

welshpug

never used them before but they look good, there's quite a few on ebay cheap too, I wouldn't bother buying them from ecp or gsf though as they're within a few quid of peugot-citroen!

one thing I did notice, the Powerflex p-bushes that are recently available look much the same housing...

one of the front round bushes looked a bit tired so I may look to replacing these soon but peugeot-citroen don't list any separate, might go poly.

welshpug

More jobs done today, got it into my mate Richard's workshop as it was empty and he was about without any vehicles in.

This is how high you need to jack the car up to avoid dropping any gear oil when removing a shaft, basically all the way up on this jack :lol:

6456325977_590117a006_z.jpg

new AMK boot fitted:

6456372191_7ea324eba6_m.jpg

New cam seal and PH2 cam next to original cam, 0.6mm more lift (10.6mm as opposed to 10mm) can't remember the duration, base circle is nigh on identical and they're blinking close to the spray bar.

6456363541_961f9184d4_m.jpg6456320107_e4a8c7c726_m.jpg

Runs fine though will get the wideband fitted asap.

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

Popped over to Tewkesbury Cheltenham and Gloucester with Dan last Wednesday, picked up two bags of clips, £18's worth :o (the ones Evans Halshaw Cardiff said they couldn't get :lol: )

6456261043_830e50fbee_m.jpg

Two of the rivets had been damaged when the trim was knocked off, luckily I found a few from a 205 trim kit when helping Goliath sort some stuff out, turns out they're the same ones used on the ZX

6456152117_a35577cef8_m.jpg6456096669_7ec58af318.jpg

Not perfect as the tabs that lock into the bumper were broken off, and the 1/4 panel needs some gentle persuasion in some areas, but looks far better.

6455989409_2726a71493_z.jpg

Dug out the tyre levers, valve core, tool, Fairy liquid and the tyre inflator;

6456313619_13b1dd12a9.jpg

6456306645_a613214d90_z.jpg

Used the bench vice to pop the tyre off the bead :lol: there is a little vibration so I'll get them balanced when I get the chance, one of the weights went flying across the workshop as the bead popped onto the seat on the last tyre :blink:

Then got my new custom headlamp relay wiring fitted and some shiny bulbs, checked the wiring before I fitted the new bulbs and noticed an improvement! No pics of the wiring yet, not tidied it up but its an o.e relay plug and some nice chunky wire from a 106 engine loom, there's a spare slot in my engine bay fusebox handily :D

6456299981_d5ddc7f565.jpg

:ph34r:

Baz

Proper bulbs!! B)

Coming along nicely, Berlingo P-bushes are a new one to me!

I still can't believe you swap tyres without even a post though you nutter! :lol: How long does it take you??

On a slightly seperate note, talking of Pot boxes, fancy looking at mine for me?? :ph34r:^_^

I've checked it over & over but can't find anything wrong with it, all has continuity and i built it as per the guide, but it hasn't worked the couple of times i've tried it so wondering if it's hardware, so hopefully need someone with similar set up to try it and then possibly fault-find on it, if you'd be so kind?? :D

welshpug

never used a post, was taught on 22.5" truck tyres :lol:

doesnt take long really though never timed myself, sometimes takes longer if you struggle to keep the bead in the well due to stiff sidewalls or tread wider than the rims, bit tricky if you dont weigh much like i do either!

not tried my pot box yet, still waiting for bits from maplin, think they may have ballsed up as i got two switches through the next day but nothing further in over a week.

have you tried the ecu direct without the pot box?

time will tell if these alloy bodied p-bushes last but even if they dont it should be pretty easy to get something poly in there, or even a spherical joint, looking to do similar to the front bushes as phill (rippthrough) commented that some damper top hat type bushes may fit from the super pro catalogue, dont want to use the purple ones really.

rallyeash

+1 i used to fit truck tyres 6 years ago, damn slight easier still than car tyres though!

welshpug

yeah, they don't move about so much :lol:

found artic easy enough, 7,5 tonners could be bastards, trying to pick up a steel rimmed super single was a bit of a struggle for me, I only weigh 10 stone!

need to get the front wheels balanced, quote a bit of vibration! haven't noticed a massive difference with the pair of cams fitted, seem to pick up the revs much easier when you drop the gears, induction note seems to come in lower in the RPM.

idle is still very smooth so bang goes Cameron's theory that they're too wild for single throttle body, his map must have been rather poor to say the least as this is still an unmapped MM 1AP ecu.

rallyeash

haha yeah when ive fitted car tyres on the floor before with levers youre like a dog when its running around sniffing the ground for scent's :lol

Josh_Quant

is there much difference in gti6 and mi16 on 5 speed box??

rallyeash

yes, anyone who say's there isnt is wrong. ive driven a mates car back to back with a mi16 on a 1.9 box then after the coversion with a gti6 engine and its so much better

Edited by rallyeash

Baz

Whist i don't disagree, to be fair there's an ocean of a difference between a crap Mi and a good one, and then same again for 6's!

idle is still very smooth so bang goes Cameron's theory that they're too wild for single throttle body, his map must have been rather poor to say the least as this is still an unmapped MM 1AP ecu.

;)

Josh_Quant

what about 2.0 mi16 ^_^

welshpug

:lol:;)

The original engine wasn't a bad one at all (It was the RFY, 2.0 mi for those that don't know it)

It certainly liked to rev all the way to the limit quite smoothly though I never got the chance to dyno it, similarly I've driven 6's which loved to nut the limiter and others that don't, mine used to before I played with the cam timing and though it didn't appear to feel or sound as quick initially, when you learn to drive it properly it is quite a lot quicker on a decent b-road as you aren't waiting for those last few hundred rpk for the power to appear in an almighty rush, it feels even more so like that now with the pair of PH2's fitted.

There's no doubt this engine is quicker than an Mi, wider torque band and more torque, its only 17 kilos heavier, much more modern engine management, though as mentioned, you can have good and bad examples of anything.

This engine has a lot more punch to it as standard than the RFY though and does suite the car nicely, a 6 speed box would be nice to try but I can't be arsed with the faff of the r/h lock issue, it gets round to full lock quite quickly with the standard 2.4turn rack as it is :lol:

Bring on the trumpets :ph34r:

Edited by welshpug

Toddy

Have you dialled the cams in to the manufacturers spec? or just left them for now as this could explain the smooth idle.

Good project thread, interesting read.

welshpug

the inlet is dialled in yes, its actually pretty much bang on standard pin timing, the exhaust is just pinned but I would not be surprised if it didn't need moving far at all.

I doubt that will have any effect on the idling as they aren't that wild.

welshpug

I bent it, old tyres on the rear though good tread etc, slippery roundabout, ho hum :(