• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

[engine_work] Zx16V Daily Runabout Upgrade Project

welshpug

Well, the boot has been emptied of tools, hybrid arb and c5 wheels on with PE2's, and its great now :D Only been driving to work and back in quite poor conditions so havent tested it out properly.

A bit more pointy on the steering and doesnt feel like its lifting an inside front wheel coming off roundabouts under power any more, though it feels more stable and less nervous as well, doesnt feel quite as supply on the back roads though, you do notice the undulations but it doesnt move about.

kyepan

A bit more pointy on the steering and doesnt feel like its lifting an inside front wheel coming off roundabouts under power any more,

this is exactly how mine felt after fitting the 24mm arb

S@m

A bit more pointy on the steering and doesnt feel like its lifting an inside front wheel coming off roundabouts under power any more, though it feels more stable and less nervous as well, doesnt feel quite as supply on the back roads though, you do notice the undulations but it doesnt move about.

Thats odd (at least in my simple logic), i would expect a thicker arb to lift the inside wheel more. I thought some people disconnected them to stop the inside wheel spinning out of slow corners. Shows what i know.

Sam

Tom Fenton

Thats odd (at least in my simple logic), i would expect a thicker arb to lift the inside wheel more. I thought some people disconnected them to stop the inside wheel spinning out of slow corners. Shows what i know.

Sam

What you describe relates to a FRONT stiffer AR bar.

What the lads are talking about is a 24mm REAR AR bar.

welshpug

Indeed, though i'm going from a non functioning 24mm rear ARB, to a 28mm ARB.

6108212411_7961b4a67c.jpg

to this -

6107480174_af33e757a7.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Tom Fenton

Any plans for the old 24mm bar? Interested in it if not.

welshpug

As its not really usable in a 306/zx width beam its no use to me at the moment, make me an offer :)

I've got a 106 22mm arb in my 205 but not had chance to see if I like it or need to go larger as its been SORN for 2 years :(

S@m

What you describe relates to a FRONT stiffer AR bar.

What the lads are talking about is a 24mm REAR AR bar.

Doh! :blush: Its so very clear to me now!

welshpug

been steadily racking up the miles and not having much inclination to do work on the zx the past few weeks, though i did eventually swap the matrix, its still not plumbed in :lol:

i went to bletchley near milton keynes for a cytech 1+2 practical on thursday, so for the first time in quite a while i gave it a brimmed tank to see what its running like, 366 miles and another 44.1 litres at either 55-60 on a roads or 75 odd on duals its returning about 37mpg!! likely to be less on my usual commute given how much is spent stationary

this evening i managed to find the multiplug i cut off the mp3.1 loom a few years ago, just what i need to build a new engine loom :D unfortunately some wires have been trimmed a tad short and im unsure if i can get new terminals yet, may get a few more so i have a few tails to use, the terminals do come out fairly easily

quick pinout list:

1-starter motor thick yellow

2-ignition switched+ thick yellow

3-alternator excitor blk

4-oil pressure switch brown

5-coolant temp switch beige

6-reverse light switch grey

7-reverse light switch grey

8-coolant temp sender brown

9-oil level green

10-oil level green

11-oil temp beige

12-oil pressure sensor green

13-diagnostic light grey

separate brown plug 4 way:

1-

2-rev counter

3-fuel pump

4-

welshpug

here's the pin type I'd like to obtain if possible, otherwise I will solder and heatshrink on the wires that are still poking out of the plug as there's enough space around them to do so, just :lol:

6183160410_e5fdba66f6.jpg

welshpug

managed to track down a few part numbers in Servicebox peugeot (link doesnt show on servicebox citroen for some reason)

6541E8 - A 1.5 B 0.35 1mm2

6541E9 - A 1.5 B 1.1 2mm2

6542R1 - A 2.8 B 0.35 1mm2

6542R2 - A 2.8 B 1 3mm2

6541F1 A 3 b 1 2mm2

6541F2 A 3 B 3 4mm2

A is the width though I'm not 100% certain which dimension B reffers to, going by the wire sizes I think its safe to assume that the middle pair are what I need to use, they're about 40p each.

welshpug

before going ahead and ordering stuff to make a loom up i thought it would be wise to make a mockup from what ive got lying about, namely a loom from a 1.6 106, so most of the plugs are ideal and the wires about long enough :)

welshpug

Done a little more on my wiring loom, also had an MOT test Wednesday which it failed;

ABS Warning lamp illuminated indicating ABS system fauilt (I did ask them to see if anythign came up on the computer, but in typical fashion the computer couldnt get anythign out of it!)

O/S Headlamp too low.

N/S headlamp too far to the right. (both these due tothe Micra incident)

O/S position lamp not working (damn bulb!)

O/S/R tyre below minimum 1.6mm (was worn perfectly evenly so I didnt even notice! ideal track tyre...)

Nearside Towbar attachment loose (they have now included towbars in the Test, I hadnt touched this ever or noticed anything but the bolts were indeed loose, and Seized!)

and the Advisories;

O/S front chassis member showing signs of corrosion (where all zx's 306's and xsara's go, where the inner wing meets the bulkhead/floor section)

N/S/R tyre near 1.6mm limit (as above :blush: )

N/S/R wheelarch trim missing.

O/S/F wheelarch trim missing.

Rear exhaust rubber deteriorating.

Got it down into my mates workshop on Thursday with my Trusty Haynes workshop manual and worked through the ABS system with a power probe and multimeter, thankfully the diagram in Haynes is brilliant, I was dreading this as it could have needed a replacement ABS ECU, but it turned out to be a dead sensor.

Managed to extract a sensor undamaged from a pair of hubs I'd bought from Anthony a few weeks ago, which isnt a mean feat in itself as they typically get seized into the hole in the hub, quick bit of die grinder action on the hole to ensure a slightly looser fit and plenty of copper grease and job done there :D

Replaced a W5W 501 bulb and chucked the spare wheel on and fitted a decent spare tyre onto another C5 wheel I'd bought from Spiky, so white wheels on the back for the time being, looks quite good actually...

regarding the headlights, they were quite a long way out so wasnt worth levig the garage to sort them, so I had a look on good old google for some data on how to manually align them, and found this article http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html which was very useful, trouble beign tis quite difficult to find anywhere perfectly level that you can place a car 25 feet away from a wall! so I did the logical thing and halved this to 12.5 feet and the drop to 1.5", seemed to do the job as there werent any comments when I picked the car up :D

Bolts, cut one off and snapped the other off with a breaker bar, delve into the tub of bolts for a replacement, every garage should have a tub of bolts nuts and washers, saves your ass quite often!

With the corrosion that was noted, thankfully simply surface rust and damaged underseal which I scraped off and waved the flappy disc around on the 4.5" rinder, and slapped on some black paint.

Got it back in on Friday for a re-test which it duly passed.

Interesting to note that the emissions test was no issue at all even with the inlet cam and no adjusted map, can't remember the exact figures but I'll post the up later.

welshpug

nearly got my wiring loom complete for the DTA, just a few plugs need fitting :)

6269993084_9fa97a78ea_z.jpg

emissions test results were;

fast idle CO - 0.04% (limit is 0.2%)

HC 22ppm, (limit 200ppm)

Lambda 1.01 (should be between 0.97 and 1.03)

Natural idle test @ 871 rpm, CO of 0.03%, limit is 0.3%.

all good :D

Last weekend Dan (DCC) and myself went down to BensonMi's to get a gti6 engine, as it needed removing the toolbox and engine crane went in the back, and of course the engine on the way back, was quite glad of the 21mm torsion bars :D

6252658423_a7957e3c8f_z.jpg

6252660429_8fc0c69764_z.jpg

oh and mentioning torsion bars, I have ordered some 23mm ones :ph34r:

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

6327588520_ed30542484_z.jpg

:ph34r:

welshpug

Today's list of jobs;

Change oil+filter, Total 10w40 and a genuine Oil filter.

Drain weak coolant/water mix and refill with fresh.

Fit torsion bars and re-set ride height.

6340917562_2915b6fdb5.jpg

No issues at all sorting the front end, then on to the rear, yes its VERY dirty and shows it! :ph34r:

6340809814_e48bbc63bb_z.jpg

The offside torsion bar as usual was pretty damn stuck, I managed to stretch and snap two M8 studs before I gave up and knocked the trailing arm off so I could persuade the torsion bar out easier.

the nearside however popped out with relative ease!

6340058159_44bd65f79e_z.jpg

The breaker bar was wedged against the floor to prevent any rotational force going into the M8 stud, and the 30mm spanner on the nut, I used a well greased washer too.

As this car uses 21mm torsion bars as standard and I had never taken one apart before, I made note of the original damper spacing which was 325mm, 5mm shorter than the 3 door 306's that use 20mm torsion bars.

I wasn't sure how much effect on the height the 23mm bars would have I dropped Anthony a brief message, he suggested some 15mm shorter so 310mm (I needed to drop the height a touch to match the front as the AST's are a little shorter, so went for 305mm in the end)

Here's the result

6340055615_0379ef0d0a_z.jpg

Pretty good I think, no so nose down any more, and even with a gearbox and two toolboxes and a pair of tyres in there it didn't sag much at all :D

Unfortunately there is play in the trailing arm bearings so it will need to come apart ASAP, I have had a bearing kit on the shelf for some time, just need to sort out a pair of arm shafts and possibly a beam tube.

I do have a worn set of shafts, and a friend of a friend piped up hat they have a lathe that they don't know how to use, so I need to do some reading up and I may have a crack at building the metal back up and turning it down, that'll save me a fair bit of cash now as I haven't yet seen any near what I paid about a year ago when I sorted a beam for a PSOOC member. :(

allye

Love the towbar, such a sleeper. Is it still missing the front arch?

welshpug

I do have it an it's freshly painted, but unfortunately the slots for the clips are broken on the back so needs sticking on.

welshpug

Arch trim clips are waiting for me at Warners Tewkesbury, after Evans Halshaw Cardiff saying they couldn't do them :lol:

Fitted a lower mileage Xsara VTS box and Xsara VTS driveshafts, no more crunching or groaning!

6396465581_4063de5372.jpg

Shafts were fine as it happens though the intermediate bearing was noisy.

New seals of course, grand sum of £5.97 due to trade discount form the local motorfactor.

6396468703_b115abb430.jpg

Had to leave off one of my airbox pipes however due to the extra part of the casting on the front of the bellhousing that bolts to the large winged sump of later XU engines.

Also got some bits to make a pot box, I'm going to have a crack at mapping.

6395967697_3e6a3b708e.jpg

The knobs buttons and other socket are in the post :)

Also have a cam seal, lower engine mount bush, a fork bush, and a pair of late Xsara picasso/berlingo/partner P-bushes on order with Lookers Peugeot, already got the 70mm dia bush fitted as it was on the shelf.

Oh and its stinking dirty too as I've been taking the back roads to work a lot due to the traffic I would encounter on the main roads :ph34r:

rallyeash

any reason for odd coloured wheels mate?

Paul_13

and a pair of late Xsara picasso/berlingo/partner P-bushes on order...

What's the difference vs std gti6 p bushes?

dcc

odd wheels due to bald tyres :)

welshpug

any reason for odd coloured wheels mate?

Yeah, it did have PE2's all round but when it came to MOT time I found that the rear pair were down to 1.6mm right across the tread, I had a spare pair of tyres lying about and a pair of wheels I had bought from Spiky a few months ago, slung them on myself and stuck them on the back to get it MOT'd, haven't had them balanced yet but there's no vibrations :lol:

I have these to go on soon, on another set of C5 wheels, Michelin Alpin, one pair with 4.5mm and the bottom with 7mm.

6396683403_23be28b5cc.jpg

What's the difference vs std gti6 p bushes?

Alloy housing and a round solid bush, bottom bolt that threads into it is M10 IIRC not M8, will stick a pic up when I get them, they're only £20 each from a dealer, everywhere aftermarket wanted the same!

Lower bush fitted -

6396677791_5a71abcc88.jpg