• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[engine_work] 1.9 Mi 16V Engine Rebuild

Paul_13

Another engine rebuild project i've taken on...

Here is Ben.rallye's car, originally started out as gti but after a reshell it reappeared as a white rallye:

th_DSC03873.jpg

It started misfiring a bit and down on power, oil pressure was lost at high Rpm and loads of mayo in the breather pipes :(

Draining the oil confirmed this, absolutely loads of mayo everywhere. At least half a litre came out the inlet manifold!

th_IMAG0189.jpg

Stripped the engine down, crank seems ok but will find out when the engine builders get their hands on it.

Was there for a while trying to get bearing cap number 3 off, 13mm head bolts holding it in from the sides of the block, D'OH!

Got the liners out to check the liner seats, theres a bit of crap on there but will clean it up and double check.

Removed the pistons from the liners and found this:

th_IMAG0195.jpg

All four of the top rings were in pieces :wacko:

Turns out the crank needs a regrind :(

And the head a skim as it's pitted from corrosion :(

16 new valve guides as they're badly worn :(

But hey that's a MI for you.

Using a Gti6 oil pump sprocket/pump baffle/oil spring to combat oil surge and possibly a gti6 sump aswell to save on buying a sump baffle...

Edited by Paul_13

Paul_13

Made a bit of progress today:

Cleaned up mating surfaces of paint where Ben got too happy with the paintbrush

Took spray bars off to give them a clean

Cleaned up the liner seats and seals

Clean HG surface

Test fitted new liners and measured protusion All within tolerance :)

th_IMAG0387.jpg

th_IMAG0388.jpg

th_IMAG0389.jpg

th_IMAG0390.jpg

th_IMAG0391.jpg

th_IMAG0393.jpg

:)

Paul_13

Fluted a head bolt to clear out the block threads, aload of crap in there

th_IMAG0400.jpg

We now have a decent straight edge thanks to Kyepan (many thanks) to check the liner protruderance. Hopefully it'll come up positive :)

Also put 2 piston rings sets on just the other 2 to put on now. Then put the pistons into the liners using loads of engine lube :)

We have everything else to put the engine together now, just waiting on the results from the block measurements.

Quick question:

I don't think these engines suffer from valve piston clearance as badly as the 6 engine. The head has had a hefty skim, a bit of corrosion was uncovered and welding needed, so was skimmed again afterward the original skim. Will it need a repair headgasket or can we use the OE thickness gasket and increase the CR a bit?

Paul_13

th_IMAG0430.jpg

th_IMAG0440.jpg

th_IMAG0441.jpg

th_IMAG0442.jpg

th_IMAG0443.jpg

th_IMAG0444.jpg

Paul_13

th_IMAG0447.jpg

th_IMAG0448.jpg

Torqued the head up by using 25Nm 50Nm then 75Nm, didnt fancy doing the haynes manual way of doing it. Felt like the threads were going to strip out if we were to do the 300' method.

th_IMAG0453.jpg

th_IMAG0454.jpg

Oil pump in pieces to give it a good clean. Fitted the new XU10 spring and relief valve.

th_IMAG0455.jpg

26t oil pump sprocket off a gti6, we used a new chain off a gti6

th_IMAG0456.jpg

Timing plate on

Edited by Paul_13

Paul_13

th_IMAG0458.jpg

Sump baffle hidden under the sump, ABSOLUTE PITA to fit.

th_IMAG0459.jpg

th_IMAG0476.jpg

Timing belt done with help from Kyepan :) cheers buddy

th_IMAG0477.jpg

Edited by Paul_13

Miles

Another handy tip, ditch the water pipe on the back, Not needed at all in the 205, less pipes to leak and more room, Worth fitting a alloy water dist block too, Less likey to snap like the plastic ones do

Paul_13

We were discussing this last night. Need to look up part number for the bungs later, unless anyone has them handy :rolleyes:

Anthony

If you use an 8v rear distribution block you only need one bung, and even then, if you know someone that can TIG weld I'd get the thermostat housing welded.

The bungs are found on various XUD/TD models on the airbox/induction side, but I don't have the part number to hand. Probably got a couple kicking around though.

Paul_13

If you use an 8v rear distribution block you only need one bung, and even then, if you know someone that can TIG weld I'd get the thermostat housing welded.

The bungs are found on various XUD/TD models on the airbox/induction side, but I don't have the part number to hand. Probably got a couple kicking around though.

Do you have a 8v alloy distribution block kicking about? That means only one bung is needed as you said, would you kindly have a look for one pretty please? (and a drivers side parcel shelf clip ;) )

Anthony

I'll have a look for you - I know that I've an alloy Mi16 one, but not 100% sure if I've an alloy 8v one to hand (I have a plastic one though)

welshpug

was a recent thread with various part numbers of bungs recently.

I have a both 8v and 16v alloy water distribution thingy in my box of bits to be sold :)

Edited by welshpug

Paul_13

Cheers Chipstick :)

Anthony should be sorting me out with the bits I need, if he finds them in the garage :lol:

chipstick

If not, I have that old 1.9 block which I can pinch the DB from.

Paul_13

th_IMAG0484.jpg

Clutch on........

th_IMAG0485.jpg

Cleaned up box

th_IMAG0486.jpg

New release bearing and clutch fork bushes.

th_IMAG0487.jpg

As far as the clutch plate will go on... Turns out the splines are not machined square, but are tapered.

Black diamond have sent out a replacement friction plate, so will be fitting this soon. Seems as though they know it's a faulty batch but won't admit it.

Tomorrow night, box on again......

:angry:

P.s. A thank you to Anthony for the 8v distribution block and bung so we can remove the metal pipe above the exhaust manifold :) Cheers mate

Edited by Paul_13

Paul_13

Yay!

th_IMAG0491.jpg

:(

th_IMAG0492.jpg

What are these sensors for, I know one is the water temp dial in dash. Whats the other?

th_IMAG0493.jpg

And up :)

th_IMAG0496.jpg

And in :)

th_IMAG0499.jpg

th_IMAG0502.jpg

Pic of the old big end bearing :unsure:

th_IMAG0495.jpg

th_IMAG0494.jpg

th_IMAG0503.jpg

Got pulled by the police on the maiden voyage :lol:

welshpug

water temp warning light, and the ecu temperature sender.

Paul_13

Could you elaborate on those please.

There's three in the picture, 1 at top (spade connector) 1 in middle (spade connector) and one at bottom (blue plug)

Thanks

welshpug

blue 2 pin is ecu, same as the 8 valve

Anthony

The taller of the two single spade senders is for the coolant temp warning light, and the shorter of the two is for the coolant temp gauge.

I can never remember which way around the wires go, so the easiest thing to do is ground them to the block one at a time and see which one makes the gauge read maximum (the high coolant temp light will be on anyway without the engine running thanks to the oil pressure switch, which triggers the low oil pressure, STOP, and high coolant temp lights to all come on)

That said, do yourself (Ben) a favour and redo that sensor loom properly to get rid of that brown multiplug - there's absolutely no excuse for that on an Mi16 conversion!

welshpug

if it had the original spare connectors they are colour coded to the ring on the sender.

Josh_Quant

how comes your using the gti6 oil pump then?

Paul_13

It's an MI pump mate, using an Xu10 spring and relief valve to give 1bar extra oil pressure. Also using an early gti6 oil pump sprocket to raise the pressure at idle a bit.

More to be precautious than anything :)

Josh_Quant

xu10 mi16 or gti6 spring?

how many tooth a mi16 oil sprocket got if a gti6 got 26

cheers josh