• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eddie bullit

1.9 Questions

eddie bullit

I think I've read before that some 1.9 gti's came with drums on the back..correct me if I'm wrong but if not whats the reason for it? All I could come with is ABS :wacko:

I'm asking cos the 91H steel grey I've just bought has :lol:

cheers in advance fellas!!

Edd

welshpug

probably had a 1.6 beam fitted, or it was a 1.6 originally...

check the vin, most had the engine code in it.

wouldnt bother me though, better handbrake and much less maintenance required

jackherer

The opposite is true, 1.6 GTIs with ABS had discs on the rear AFAIK.

Anthony

As said, it's either had a drum brake beam retrofitted, or it originally started life as a 1.6 and someone's put a 1.9 engine and other bits on it. Quick clue is to look at the passenger chassis leg towards the back of the engine bay - it's there's a brake compensator there, or evidence that one has been there previously - then chances are that it was a 1.6 originally.

Regarding ABS, all ABS models - 1.6 or 1.9 - came with rear disks.

jord294

I think I've read before that some 1.9 gti's came with drums on the back..correct me if I'm wrong but if not whats the reason for it? All I could come with is ABS :wacko:

I'm asking cos the 91H steel grey I've just bought has :lol:

cheers in advance fellas!!

Edd

or maybe someone has put a 309 non gti beam on ?

eddie bullit

As said, it's either had a drum brake beam retrofitted, or it originally started life as a 1.6 and someone's put a 1.9 engine and other bits on it. Quick clue is to look at the passenger chassis leg towards the back of the engine bay - it's there's a brake compensator there, or evidence that one has been there previously - then chances are that it was a 1.6 originally.

Regarding ABS, all ABS models - 1.6 or 1.9 - came with rear disks.

I've got the original bill of sale from the car so it's defo a 1.9...weird..I'll look through the service history and see if there's any evidence of a change..

Cheers Fellas!

Tom Fenton

I would also check that the torsion bars are GTI spec.

If the original beam failed it it quite possible another beam has been bolted on that could be from a diesel or base model.

Yes we know as GTI enthusiasts the difference, but to the average garage mechanic a 205 beam is "just" a 205 beam. If whoever changed it wasn't bothered that it didn't retain the correct disc brakes, there is a good chance they would not have carefully measured the torsion bars to detect the 0.8mm difference between GTI and non-GTI bars.....

eddie bullit

I would also check that the torsion bars are GTI spec.

If the original beam failed it it quite possible another beam has been bolted on that could be from a diesel or base model.

Yes we know as GTI enthusiasts the difference, but to the average garage mechanic a 205 beam is "just" a 205 beam. If whoever changed it wasn't bothered that it didn't retain the correct disc brakes, there is a good chance they would not have carefully measured the torsion bars to detect the 0.8mm difference between GTI and non-GTI bars.....

If it was changed it was done early in its life cos it's as rusty as the rest :lol:

eddie bullit

I'll post some pics up when I get chance. Its a 91H steel grey 1.9 :wub: advertised on Pistonheads for around 2 mins prior to me buying it. I'm the third owner and she's got 95k on the clock. Needs a little bodywork, not much, and the interior need a damn good valet. I noticed that the sunroof vacuum seal doesn't "shrink" when I open it..where should I look first?

smithy

Check the little vac switch on handle is working first,make sure you have vac getting up there if not track hose back to tank under scuttle and then back to servo pipe.

eddie bullit

Cheers for that Smithy ;) I'll have a nosey at that when I get chance..