• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeAuto

Running Injected Tu On A Carb

MikeAuto

The engine in my GR (TU3) is very very tired and smokey, so I'm thinking of replacing with another TU3 engine of some description. I'm not after big power or anything, the GR is the lowest powered 1360 to start with anyway (as far as I can work out), I just want to get it running again with the minimum of fuss.

My question is; could I fit a later injection TU unit and run it with the carb setup from my GR? Could the injectors be blocked off somehow and my current manifold bolted up? Is the bolt pattern even the same? I'm only thinking of the injected TU engines as thats what seems to be for sale locally, if I could find a carb engine I'd go for that for easy-ness. Any other potential problems with this idea? Distributor?

trogboy

Hi Mike,

The single point injection heads are likely to be compatible with your current carb and manifold as they have the same port and stud spacings. If it is a multi point injection engine then your manifold won't fit. Another issue is the cam drive for the fuel pump that you need for your set up - injection heads dont't have the slot to take the pump and the cams don't have a cam to drive them. IIRC the injection cams don't have the slot in the end used to drive the dizzy. The bottom ends are a straight swap though :D

Ad