• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205_sunderland

Is There Anywhere Left Doing Group N Stainless Systems?

205_sunderland

Im still looking and although i found a few bargain stainless 2" systems im just scared to fit anything other than what i know does the job as ive heard so many stories about power loss, i know omp have stopped making them so youll have to go overseas for one, but is there anywhere in the uk still providing them as ive got that devil split downpipe now so put that with a group-n and standard mani and should make a good system if theres any left

welshpug

dont think so but miles does a system better than the old group n stuff

205_sunderland

dont think so but miles does a system better than the old group n stuff

cool i had a mani off him years ago, whats the damage on one?

Miles

The Group N ones where rubbish, Designed in the days of the 105bhp 205.

I do both mild and stainless systems to mate to my 4-2-1 Mi manifold, Prices are £300.00 & £350.00 accordingly

205_sunderland

The Group N ones where rubbish, Designed in the days of the 105bhp 205.

I do both mild and stainless systems to mate to my 4-2-1 Mi manifold, Prices are £300.00 & £350.00 accordingly

what about the omp spec systems though? and is the £300 for a mild or stainless system?

Miles

I wouldn;t touch anything from OMP, Cages are not the best and I;ve yet to see anything of top quality from them, £300 is for the mild system

205_sunderland

I wouldn;t touch anything from OMP, Cages are not the best and I;ve yet to see anything of top quality from them, £300 is for the mild system

the main question that begs to be answered now then is, whats the differnce between yours and a £200 ab motorsport mild group n system my friend

welshpug

the main question that begs to be answered now then is, whats the differnce between yours and a £200 ab motorsport mild group n system my friend

one is made as a disposable item for rallying, the other is made to perform and last :lol:

205_sunderland

one is made as a disposable item for rallying, the other is made to perform and last :lol:

:lol: but if there both mild steel, over time they surely will bith rust and i could paint the cheaper system for added protection from elements as they both corrode internally over time?

welshpug

well I know which one I'd choose...

205_sunderland

well I know which one I'd choose...

has anyone done any tests etc as i dont pay money unless i know an items worth it, one thing i learned from spending a bit time in the vw scene is people love paying alot for parts for bragging rights but i expect them to be worth it in performance aswell. My car isnt used in winter so shouldnt be an issue grit etc causing rot

Edited by 205_sunderland

welshpug

you'll have to ask miles that one, I know the 306 system made by the same supplier has been tested on a RR day on his high mileage Phase 1 gti6 and made good power.

205_sunderland

you'll have to ask miles that one, I know the 306 system made by the same supplier has been tested on a RR day on his high mileage Phase 1 gti6 and made good power.

I guess ill have to bud, because the way i see it is im not paying an extra £100 if theres no real gain from the exhaust and if it aint stainless itll rust just the same

Baz

Trust me, it'll be worth it. They don't rust the same, the OMP/GpN's are typically Italian, last a coupe of years even with mild use, they're paper thin and as said aren't any good for performance anyway being smaller dia. than the std. Ph2 system, you'll be forever welding it up/repairing it or end up throwing it away!

Miles

As said the original Group 'N' system's where made for 105 bhp, I've only seen a couple of these single box things and thought I'd never entertain the idea of buying or supplying any even thou I could,

I have no back to back info as it's too expensive unless I added this on the system cost as I don;t advertise these allot so turn over isn;t high, but on Mi16 with std manifolds and systems with mine seen to make another 10bhp so circa 200 instead of 185 ish.

Edited by Miles

205_sunderland

As said the original Group 'N' system's where made for 105 bhp, I've only seen a couple of these single box things and thought I'd never entertain the idea of buying or supplying any even thou I could,

I have no back to back info as it's too expensive unless I added this on the system cost as I don;t advertise these allot so turn over isn;t high, but on Mi16 with std manifolds and systems with mine seen to make another 10bhp so circa 200 instead of 185 ish.

you have any pics of the fellas miles? i wanted stainless so its built to last

matt.f

Are DES developments still going?

welshpug

no, they ceased trading a while back now

205_sunderland

i enquired about group n systems today and there 48mm, so no 2" 1.89" actually, would that be suited to a car im never taking over 155bhp as i want the best power possible for an engine that will never see anything more than some headwork,standard cam and lightening and balancing

welshpug

well seeing as my zx has a 63mm systrem as standard with its 167 bhp engine, i'd imagine as miles has said a few times already that it wont really be up to it.

even the later 205's were 54mm iirc!

dcc

I am 99% sure from memory that I read on here that a 2.25" exhaust was best suited to mild tuned 205's, with the 2" being restrictive and the 2.5" not producing good torque as on similar 2.25" systems?

205_sunderland

well seeing as my zx has a 63mm systrem as standard with its 167 bhp engine, i'd imagine as miles has said a few times already that it wont really be up to it.

even the later 205's were 54mm iirc!

i just cant justify the 350 quid but i want a stainless system so it lasts :(

Edited by 205_sunderland

205_sunderland

I am 99% sure from memory that I read on here that a 2.25" exhaust was best suited to mild tuned 205's, with the 2" being restrictive and the 2.5" not producing good torque as on similar 2.25" systems?

so in theory i could get a group A system as 60 millimetres = 2.36220472 inches so well suited. There cheap as hell aswell as its mild steel but the price is like 150 quid so ideal, i love the email he sent me when i questioned the group n system been to small

Hi,

The bore of the OMP system is 48mm (same as standard)

If you need bigger bore, you can have a GrA exhaust, witch is 60mm bore (much HP at high revs)

MUUUUUCCCHHHHHHH HP :lol:

welshpug

a decent mild steel system will last a few years, my mum's 405 still had its original exhaust system fitted till a year ago, it was on 275k and 15 years old!

stainless have a habit of cracking and being noisier.

harryskid

I ran a stainless system on my previous Impreza and it was as Welshpug says very loud. Also it use to get very hot, you could burn your hand on the tail pipe!

Sign in to follow this