• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
LaurieGTI

Some Advice Required For Tu5J4 Conversion With Gearbox Choices

LaurieGTI

Evening all,

Ive been reading up for quite a while now regarding fitting a TU5J4 engine to our 1.6 205 GTi rally car. There's quite a few bits that id like to confirm so please bare with me

We've got to the stage now where we have various parts from a couple of cars to play with, with a multitude of options.

The GTI currently has the existing 1.6 engine in with the BE3 gearbox, in the gearbox is a Quaife ATB diff

Now initially we were thinking that we'd need to fit an MA gearbox, sell the BE diff and use the funds to fit a diff to the MA box.

With the above would i then be right in thinking that Either the GTI subframe would need to be adapted, or a lesser model subframe would need to be fitted in order to use the correct MA type gear linkages etc? We have a donor 1.4 205 which we've salvaged all the good panels and various parts off for the conversion if required.

With all the above in mind I've since read that the current Quaife diff should be perfectly compatible with any gearbox in the BE range....

So if it more practical and certainly a better choice to fit the TU5J4 engine using a BE4r gearbox to fit, which can be used with the Quaife, and also means that the gti subframeand linkages could be used.

Does this all sound right, or am i missing any key elements?

Any help will be hugely appreciated

Edited by LaurieGTI

dcc

why would you want to use a tu engine? they are just as heavy as the gti6 engine? :( for your expense why not look into having youe current 1,6 rebuilt properly?

LaurieGTI

There's much more scope for improvement with performance by converting to the 16v TU engine. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of performance enhancing work on the old engines unfortunately without spending a lot of money. There's so much available for the TU which im very familiar with.

There's a lot of 205s that were up against with varying degrees of internal work etc but the 16v has shown time and time again even in relatively standard form that it's topping the class.

A 1.9 conversion is of course out of the question as we'd like to stay in the current class which is very competitive. 1.9 would put it up a class for the stage rallying.

Edited by LaurieGTI

welshpug

build a 16v xu5 :)

Sandy

The TU5J4 has a great deal more potential than the XU5JA, I completely agree with that and generally it is much more reliable too. But it is heavy for the capacity! "XU5J4" is a difficult build, requiring alot of bespoke parts and will be limited by the difficulty of getting enough CR, also the ports which on most heads are huge for a 1600 to use, inevitably making cam choice difficult and a extremely revvy delivery hard to avoid, which is bad news for using an XU5 crank.

I'm in the process of building an "EW5J4" special for a rally car at the moment, the project started as an "XU5J4", but it quickly became obvious to me, that it was a better way to go. The block is a far superior design structurally and there is a head casting ideally suited to making a 1600.

If using the TU5J4, do the BE, forget the MA, it's a chocolate box and will hold you back.

Edited by Sandy

welshpug

intrigued Sandy, care to share any basic details? I'd assume as usual there's some that you wont want to divulge understandably :)

going into a 205?

Sandy

I might write it up at the end, but depends how the customer feels about it! Nearly finished now.

Basically 83mm bore (based on 82.7mm EW7 block) with XU 1.6 crank (73mm), so 1580cc. Custom pistons, rods, cams etc etc.

Edited by Sandy