• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest davemar

Heater Blower Not Working.

Guest davemar

As the title says, my heater blower isn't working. I turn the dial and there's nowt there. No voltage across the fan's contacts, so it's obviously a fault before the fan. I measure the voltage across the dial's contacts (after removing the plastic trim piece) and I do get some varying voltage, not sure what it should be though. Is there some sort of controller/driver for the fan somewhere? Does it involve ripping out lots of the trim?

Guest 205GTbadboy

I think the same thing has happened to mine! my heater blower does not work, need to get this fix by winter cos it really does steam up!

nick

I'm not sure what it's called, but there is a resistor type thingy attached to the blower motor under the dash, nine times out of ten it's this that gives trouble.

Nick

Ahl

I agree. Its only two screws to remove to get it out - get one from a scrappy.

Miles

Yep it should be the transistor module located by the Fan, The Earth normally corrodes and therefore doesnt pass any current, Iv'e got loads if you need one

Guest davemar

Is it easy to get to, or does it require lots of dash removal? If I find it to be knackered, I'll be in touch.

Ahl

It's easily peasy to get to. :)

If you stick your head under glovebox you'll see a round thing with 3 phillips screws and a plug in the bottom of it. Thats the heater fan.

The resistor thing is beside that, but closer to the bulkhead and centre console. It has two more screws in it and a bigger multiplug.

They both drop out once you undo the screws.

Guest rodneyp

i think ill have a look at my heater tomorrow! used it today, first time for a while, and i just remembered why i never use it! it keeps turning off and on, and squeeks like mad! if i remove the said round thing under the dash and clean it, will this solve my problems? im guessing the dodgy 'on off' thing is to do with a faulty earth also? ill have a gander! ed

Guest rodneyp

ok ive got my heater fan beside me, and im not sure what to do with it! its completely shagged i think, as it makes a mental noise when its on! should it spin quite freely too, cos its quite stiff? could i oil it up or something, or should i just try and get a new one from a scrappy or something? ed

Guest davemar

My heater fan used to screech at certain speeds. I think its due to the bearings wearing out. The trouble with getting one from a scrappy is that they'll all probably be in a similar condition too. Just clean it up at much as possible and see how it goes.

I removed the transistor controller thing last night The transistor itself was as rusty as my sheriff's badge after a vindaloo, but when I removed the surface contact with the heatsink was fine. However I found a little sprung contact between on of the 5-pins and the heatsink was dodgy, so this may have been my problem. I've cleaned that up, so hopefully I'll see if it that's fixed it tonight.

Guest davemar

Problem solved! I cleaned up the PCB to heatsink connector in the controller unit, and it now works a treat.

Thanks for the help guys.

Guest Neosophist

Cool, screechings bad, oil the motor!

You can pick up some stuff called spray grease, 151 make it I think, it's dirt cheap but works wonders on motors after you've wd-40'd it to make it loose again, as it dosn't dry out and stays there.

Regs,

Martin.

Guest craigynett

My heater fan works ok ;) the problem i have is that no matter what position i set it to blow at it only ever blows onto the windscreen :) can't get it to blow from the dash straight into the cabin :)

Craig

Edited by craigynett

Ahl

Mine was doing that before, only blowing onto the windscreen and nowhere else.

I had to remove the right side lower dashboard (just above the pedals) and reconnect the heater flow levers that had come apart.

Sign in to follow this